How to increase daily steps?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Leave the dog at home and go for a walk. I work at home 2 days I week so I understand how hard it can be to get those steps in versus when you work in an office. I started taking a walk at lunch every day. I have a fitbit so if I get up to do something and I have say 900 steps - I don't sit my butt back down until I have at least 1,000. Never sit back down without going up to at least the next 100 level. My cat thinks I'm insane walking in circles around the room to get to those steps.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Good idea re. Reaching the next 100 each time, I'm going to aim for that. I'm not making excuses, I don't stop moving if it's cold/hot I was simply commenting of the dog and talking about the climate here in case the previous poster was interested. I'm happy to move as much as I can but I don't find it comes naturally to me outside of workouts.
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    I don't really like walking solo, unless I'm walking around shops! I have been known to do a dog walk alone of course so when it warms up a bit ill be doing that a lot more. I might make my Sunday market trip a bit longer next time by parking as far away as possible from the entrance which would add a good 15-20 minutes of walking to the trip.

ebooks, podcasts, even just some really good music - these can all help you learn to enjoy walking. honestly, the only way to walk a lot is to... walk a lot.

also, it is much much colder where i live than where you live and i still go for long walks most days of the week. buy yourself a fuzzy sweater and a scarf that you like and deal!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I realized I was only at 3k steps for the work day, being that I work out of the house and all. So I went for a walk.

Handled.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PLACE OF SUPPORT
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    walk more, type less.
  • JAT74
    Options
    DavPul obviously not! But then I learnt that a while ago. I still don't get why people on forums don't seem to understand the concept us Brits are taught ie. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

• JAT74
    Options
    Yes and I've taken on board a lot of this advice and thanked several people for their input.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    In only know one way to increase daily steps....

Walk more.

Not trying to be snarky - really. Ok, maybe just a little. But if you want more steps, I mean REALLY want them - you will find ways to get them in. When you make it a priority, you will find little times and ways to get a few more in, and they will add up... You have some great suggestions here already.. so .. get to it!
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I started wearing my pedometer (Omron also) in November. I was shocked to see I averaged 3000 a day. My doctor advised me to work on increasing 10% every two weeks. That hasn't worked for me (I forget), but I am improving. I'm working to break 7500 a day now. Sometimes just focusing on it will help increase it - I try to check the pedometer every time I sit down. If it's low, I don't let myself sit until I at least do some walking. I really like what one person above said about getting to the next 100. I'm definitely going to try that. I put my treadmill in my living room. It's an eye-sore, but it is working. I make myself do a quarter mile here and there and it adds up. I also force myself to do half a mile before I exercise (warm-up) and again for cool down. That's an extra mile right there. I do everything the long way - put away folded laundry one item at a time, I zig zag when I clean house or do chores (do something on one side, then the other, then back to the first side, etc.). It's been hard and I'm not sure I'll ever break 10,000, but I'm sure going to try!!!
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes dogs are funny about the weather but can't blame them. At the moment it is cold in the mornings at around 6-8 degrees which is bearable but it's been really windy the last few weeks so feels a lot colder. It does warm up to around 15-18 during the day but I can't normally go out for long then. By May/June it will be 30-35 degrees and in August we have 40 degrees during the day and 30 at night and then have the same problem as you. I struggle to exercise a lot in the summer, even indoors as we don't use air-conditioning most of the time.

It sounds similar to here (South Australia). I also don't have air conditioning. There are days when the dogs don't get a walk and there are days when I carry them a bit. I found out that one of them won't walk in the rain and had to carry him for about twenty minutes!

I don't understand why people post unhelpful comments, but it doesn't take long to skip past them.

I'll reiterate my feeling that it won't take you long before you are hitting the 10,000 steps most days....and in the end you know your routine and you will start to see opportunities to walk a little bit more.

BTW squats are are quick and easy way that I increase my steps if I'm watching TV.

• EvgeniZyntx
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DavPul obviously not! But then I learnt that a while ago. I still don't get why people on forums don't seem to understand the concept us Brits are taught ie. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

A ) We aren't British?
    B ) We are trying to give you good direct advice.

I always had the impression that the Brits had a certain appreciation for direct and honest truths, or is that the Australians? Anyway, whether it is served with scones and butter or a nice little jam - it comes down to a very simple thing.

Go outside and walk - use your pedometer and set yourself on a path and get your steps in. Take less motorized means.

I've spent time with groups of extremely fit active people - they all walked quite a bit. And they did it by walking.

It doesn't get easier than just going outside. And if you don't like the weather or going solo put on a coat and use an mp3 player to listen to music or lessons or the BBC.

Go.

It isn't mean to tell you that to achieve the goal you set for yourself you need to just do it.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IKR? I can't understand why people here are so mean all the time. It's like these super fit people can't understand the problems us regular people face. It must be nice to be them and have always been in shape. Some of us have to work for it!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Oh seriously, there are as many rude Brits out there as there are rude people of other nationalities. Maybe you should let the halo polish itself when it is worthy of shining. Sitting on a high horse never was becoming to anyone, apart from Lady Godiva maybe.

You think people are rude when they offer input and are met with this incredible resistance. Maybe you don't notice it yourself, but your replies come across as quite negative in the sense that the general tone is "Oh but that won't work because..." or "No no no, I possibly couldn't do that because..."

Like emily_stew said, she changed her mind about wanting to offer advice. Maybe you should look in the mirror for a while, because several others including myself seem to share that view. This is said with the best intentions in mind on your behalf, before you dismiss my comment as rude. I'm past the point of beating around the bush, but I'm not rude.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Of course there are rude Brits, but it doesn't change the fact that I have always been taught that if you have nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing at all and I think people on forums should bear that in mind before posting. When people ask for advice they are generally looking for friendly advice and tips which can help them, not for someone to have a go at them or to tell them off. Generally I try and stick to that myself, nothing to do with a halo but if I can't say anything nice to someone then I keep my mouth firmly shut and believe me there have been plenty of times I could have said a lot but didn't.

Sorry but I do think it's partly to do with cultural differences as I generally find British people have a different attitude to a lot of things and look at things in a very different way to other nationalities. In the UK we believe in honesty and sticking to the point which is why sometimes we have to be honest and say we don't like something or can't do it for some reason. It's not negativity, it's called being honest with yourself!

If I know I don't like walking alone except for shopping/window shopping then there's no point planning to go for a walk on my own because it just won't happen. I will happily walk the dog or go for a walk with my other half but if he or the dog won't go then I am not going to go either unless I go to the market or shopping centre, simple as that.

Instead I have to find other ways to get my steps in that I know I will stick to, so if that means walking around the house a bit more during the day, making an effort to go from the top the bottom of the house and back more often, taking longer routes to places I am going to when I park the car, or doing short workouts in my breaks then that's what will work for me.

I have already actioned some of those points, I've got myself some 10 minute solutions workouts I can do when I get a spare 10 minutes in the day when I'm working, I can and will make an effort to go down to my gym during breaks too or even just for 5-10 minutes to use the treadmill or xtrainer while lunch is cooking, that kind of thing. The evenings are the hardest when I'm sitting down on the sofa doing various activities like playing guitar or watching TV but if I can move enough the rest of the time hopefully I can get up to at least 6000-7000 and that plus the additional short workouts will add to my daily calorie burn.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    9,500 steps is pretty good, and since 10,000 is considered physically active, who's counting (the minimum recommendation is 3- to 4000).

I live in a teeny tiny apartment, so walking around there to do everything I need to in the morning, for example, uses about 400 steps. lol If I have to spend the day working at home, my activity tracker nags me every half hour to do something for about 5 or 10 minutes (less and it keeps nagging). When it's not so cold I usually walk or ride my bike where ever I'm going, which pumps the steps up dramatically
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Of course there are rude Brits, but it doesn't change the fact that I have always been taught that if you have nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing at all and I think people on forums should bear that in mind before posting. When people ask for advice they are generally looking for friendly advice and tips which can help them, not for someone to have a go at them or to tell them off. Generally I try and stick to that myself, nothing to do with a halo but if I can't say anything nice to someone then I keep my mouth firmly shut and believe me there have been plenty of times I could have said a lot but didn't.

Sorry but I do think it's partly to do with cultural differences as I generally find British people have a different attitude to a lot of things and look at things in a very different way to other nationalities. In the UK we believe in honesty and sticking to the point which is why sometimes we have to be honest and say we don't like something or can't do it for some reason. It's not negativity, it's called being honest with yourself!

Daft cultural stereotypes are daft. We are being honest and sticking to the point of how to walk more.
    So you really can't walk outside more?
    No, what you are saying is you don't like it. It sounds like you can't even make this minor sacrifice to look at how you might like to walk. To attempt an attitude change.
    If I know I don't like walking alone except for shopping/window shopping then there's no point planning to go for a walk on my own because it just won't happen. I will happily walk the dog or go for a walk with my other half but if he or the dog won't go then I am not going to go either unless I go to the market or shopping centre, simple as that.

If you can't change your mind set, we can't help you. Dig your heals in.
    Instead I have to find other ways to get my steps in that I know I will stick to, so if that means walking around the house a bit more during the day, making an effort to go from the top the bottom of the house and back more often, taking longer routes to places I am going to when I park the car, or doing short workouts in my breaks then that's what will work for me.

I have already actioned some of those points, I've got myself some 10 minute solutions workouts I can do when I get a spare 10 minutes in the day when I'm working, I can and will make an effort to go down to my gym during breaks too or even just for 5-10 minutes to use the treadmill or xtrainer while lunch is cooking, that kind of thing. The evenings are the hardest when I'm sitting down on the sofa doing various activities like playing guitar or watching TV but if I can move enough the rest of the time hopefully I can get up to at least 6000-7000 and that plus the additional short workouts will add to my daily calorie burn.

Good luck - sincerely.

If you have a treadmill, well, watch TV with that. But perhaps you find that difficult or boring or the treadmill isn't in the right place
    And if your prefer the treadmill to the outdoors, that's your solution, right there. Just walk on it.

Your attitude will determine your success. And your attitude is based on your life and the issues you deal with. Take the time to put it perspective and see how hard you really have it. You have legs, you can walk, you can exercise.

It is your life, your decisions, not your dogs fault, not your partners fault that you don't want to walk. Not the weather. Your attitude WILL determine your success in both your health and your life.

This isn't rude or mean it is sincere message that your outlook is keeping you from getting it done. Prove me wrong. Go get your steps.
  • JAT74
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sorry but I don't think you're very realistic. Nothing to do with changing my mindset or attitude regarding walking outdoors alone or diggin my heels in and I'm not blaming anyone else, I just don't like walking on my own and never will, but it's hardly a crime.

We don't all like the same things. Some people prefer being outdoors over everything else but I've never been an outdoorsy kind of person and I've always preferred training indoors. When I was a kid I was made to go on hikes on a weekly basis and usually went along reluctantly with my headphones, but back then I didn't have a choice.

I've now learned to like walking more and will happily go for a walk with friends, my boyfriend, the dog or anyone else and take every opportunity to do so if possible, but I'll never enjoy walking on my own outdoors. I used to go cycling every Sunday too, go mountain walking among other things but in recent years I've had knee problems so had to stop doing some of those things. My boyfriend has recently had health problems which meant he doesn't want to go for walks as much right now and prefers to do things at home more.

As I already use my home gym equipment in front of the tv most days, and in addition do a DVD based workout program so it's not the fact that any of it is difficult or boring because I ALREADY DO THOSE THINGS DAILY if you'd bothered to read what I said. In fact most days I spend 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes training and never miss a workout, even on Sundays.

The point I was making about increasing daily steps was due to the fact I work from home and don't have the activities that others have in their lives naturally, such as a journey to work or having to walk around a workplace/office to different rooms , ferrying kids to and from school or generally being more active every day without thinking about it or trying.

If I have to I will force myself to go to the market once a week just to get in some extra exercise on a Sunday, instensify my housework as I usually have a 3-4 hour session on Saturdays, and during the week I'll try and walk around the house more and fit in short workouts if that's the only way I can move more. Being outdoors more is not really an option during the week much anyway as I have to be in the house from 8am-8pm most days in case deliveries arrive for my boyfriend's business. Before 8am I am sleeping and after 8pm I have other activities I do anyway (usually at home).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Well, if your lifestyle is such, as you've explained it, that you can't leave the house 8am to 8pm, and have other priorities and already do what you can within the house then you are in a right rough quandary. I guess you'll just have to keep a tough upper lip and manage like that especially if your lifestyle and attitude are set in stone. I got nothing more.

Maybe that guy, @DavPul‌, can give you some supportive advice. Hope you find what works.

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    May I suggest next time when you ask for advice, you respect the time of others enough to provide us with exactly all restrictions that apply in your particular case. None of use are mind readers here and your circumstances certainly aren't usual.

As for being taught not to say anything if you have nothing nice to say, well, that is bollocks. It isn't honest and straight-forward, but it very easily becomes passive-aggressive, which I personally detest beyond words. Negative feedback can be presented in a calm, factual manner and as such you have received it.

When you ask on a public board, please refrain from schooling others, whose personal style differs from yours. You have received nothing but great ideas and have shot down a majority of them, and then you have the nerve to insinuate that your upbringing is better than what the rest of us have received.