Beginner Dumbbell Routine

Options
I am looking for a dumbbell routine I can do at home that isn't too experienced. I am searching online but not having much luck finding something that I can print out that shows me exactly what I am doing. Even if I knew which ones to do I can google them and find out.

Replies

• PeterSedesse
    Options
    Julian Michaels 30 day Shred - just search for it on youtube and do lvl 1. She hits all the major muscles and it gives a great workout in 30 minutes for beginners. I am not usually one to endorse stuff.. But the 30 day Shred lvl 1 is really perfect for beginners.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    She actual has two workouts actually for absolute beginners. Jillian Michaels Beginners Workout, and Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred. Both really good and use whatever dumbells you are comfortable with. I've used them both and really love them, as soon as I finish Beginner Shred, I'm starting 30 Day Shred
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    3 - 5 sets, 5 - 10 repetitions, of each exercise. Squats (hold the dumbbells on your shoulders, hands parallel), deadlifts (dumbbells hanging at side), farmers walk (holding dumbbells as you walk 30 - 100 steps), dumbbell bench press, dumbbell rows (one arm or two arms), dumbbell overhead press. Done.
  • MythicalMe84
    Options
    I'm going to look into her videos. I like having DVDs for when I can't get outside .
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Look up dumbbell bench press, dumbbell over head press, dumbbell rows, goblet squats...
  • MythicalMe84
    Options
    Thanks! I looked up a couple of those already from the other reply and will give them a try tomorrow .
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You can also do step ups with dumbbells in your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dumbbell+step+ups
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I recently bought 2 3lb dumbbells. My trainer laughed and said I should have bought 5 pounders. That floored me. I use them while sitting in my recliner to work out my arms and lats. I get up a good sweat and do not see why I got laughed at. I will have to check out this Julien Michaels "thangie".
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I recently bought 2 3lb dumbbells. My trainer laughed and said I should have bought 5 pounders. That floored me. I use them while sitting in my recliner to work out my arms and lats. I get up a good sweat and do not see why I got laughed at. I will have to check out this Julien Michaels "thangie".

Trainer shouldn't have laughed but soon you will find those dumbbell so too light
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I started off with 30 day shred then moved to fitness blender.com
  • MythicalMe84
    Options
    I'm starting with 3lbs too.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to start light, but those 3lb dumbells aren't going to do much good after a couple workouts. They just wont be a challenge for very long. But buying a bunch all at once is intimidating, so make a plan to buy a pair at a higher weight every couple weeks to a month. In her Beginner workouts, Jillian Michaels has the girls she is working with use mostly 3lbs, and I don't think I've seen them go higher than 8lbs. You'll find that some moves, like deadlifts, you can go much higher, but others, like reverse flies, you may need to start out completely weight free ( I can still barely complete a set of reverse flies using 5lb weights, my form really deteriorates quickly). Start where you are, but plan to increase those weights as soon as they start to feel easy
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When you begin, if 3lb dumbbells actually provide you with a challenge, then great. If you can do more than 12 reps with them, it's probably time to move on to something else.

As has been stated previous, they will become too easy after just a few workouts. A lot of people just sit around and lift very light dumbbells because it's easier than lifting what they actually can.
  • MythicalMe84
    Options
    I think it's the same with anything. I know 3lbs won't be a challenge for long but I have to start somewhere.
  • MythicalMe84
    Options
    I already have 5lbs so I am set for the next step.