Jump Start?

Options
Hi Everyone!

I've been on MPF for quite some time and I truly struggle with weight loss. I have hypothyroidism and just can't seem to shed any weight.

I currently stay between 1200 and 1500 calories per day, and the majority of them are healthy calories (lean meats, whole grains, fruits/veggies, water, etc.). Yes, I indulge in coffee and/or chocolate, but I make sure I count them. I try to walk at least 2-3 days per week (45 minutes or so at a brisk pace), and I'm also going to be starting up again on Zumba for my Wii as well as a couple cardio-based DVD's (to total 4-5 days of working out per week).

Here's where I need your help... This isn't the first time that I've stayed within my calorie limits and was active regularly. I just can't seem to lose weight. Does anyone have any ideas? Anything that's worked for them?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    My only suggestion is to try and cut out all sugar for a week or two and see if it helps.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You mentioned hypothyroidsm. As long as your dosage is keeping you at a normal level, it shouldn't affect your ability to lose weight. Perhaps you need your dose adjusted? Also, I'm beginning to think that MFP underestimates how many calories people should be eating. I just upped my allowance from 1300 to 1500 recently and I'm still losing (2 lbs this past week and 2.5 pounds the week before).
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi!

For me, drinking lots of water (80oz/day) and varying my calories from day to day helped. I also doubled my workout to once daily to twice daily, 6 days a week and take Sundays off. I know that's not an easy thing to do for everyone being that everybody has such busy lives, but if you can slowly increase your exercise that would help jump start you. Having a high protein (lean protein) diet helps as well. Good luck, you'll get there! I know it's frustrating because you want it to happen yesterday, at least I did, but be patient and keep working hard!
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor. My mother has a problem with her thyroid and her doctor gave her a medication to help with the release of the hormones and it has really helped her.

And don't give up hope! Keep working out, it helps keep your heart healthy (and keeps you young! :wink: )
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!