when do diets stop feeling like a hellbox of eternal pain

Options
i miss sugar r.i.p.

Replies

• missykills
    Options
    trying to lose 15-20 lbs by cutting down on the sugar + generally eating healthier and excersizing more. btw feel free to add me i have no friends on here yet and no idea what i'm doing lol
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    A diet will always feel bad, because you're being restrictive & denying yourself things.
    If you change the way you eat, permanently, it's better. Don't deny yourself anything, just realize which things are healthier & eat more of them, and which things are less healthy & eat less of them.
    (As an example, I had chocolate tonight, usually have peanut butter for breakfast, have pizza at least once a month, beer occasionally... but also have lots of fruits & veggies, whole grains, lean meats, beans, nonfat dairy.)

Here's a newbie help post I did, compiling links to helpful info including sexypants (go read it, then come back), accurate logging & weighing of food, setting reasonable goals (weight, calories, macros), motivation, etc.

Figure out if your goal of losing 20 lb puts you at a healthy weight.
    If so, figure out how much you're eating now, to maintain the weight you're at, then cut 250 calories per day. That should have you losing 0.5 lb per week. It's going to be slow because you're close to your goal. Give it a month, and if you're not losing, cut another 50. Repeat until you're losing about 0.5 lb per week.
    Don't go under 1200 cal per day unless you're very short (like maybe 4'9" or less) or your doctor says it's OK.

In that newbie post is a link to the goal-setting post, and the third BMI calculator there will show you how many servings of various food groups you should eat to maintain a certain weight. Put in your healthy goal weight.

51637601.png
  • missykills
    Options
    thank you so much! <3 this was super helpful and i will keep these things in mind. thankfully lately it's been getting a bit less tough. :smile: sorry for the late reply btw i'm still figuring out how to use this app lol

• gayatri211293
    gayatri211293 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't turn to sugar free. I was on that for a long time and it kills half the healthy bacteria in your body.. try honey or maple syrup- super good for you!
    - once in a while brown sugar is okay. And basically after a while there's a charm to drinking coffee tea and other stuff without sugar cuz you end up for the first time tasting the real flavor of things..it's interesting. Makes you a bit of a purist.
    - when buying brown sugar dont buy the kind that says brown sugar make sure it says demerara sugar. Otherwise its just coloured white sugar!
  • Theleminator
    Theleminator Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello Missy,
    I'm on a raw vegetables and fruits juice and smoothies diet.
    It has help me tremendously.
    I also add flaxseed and protein powder to my smoothies.
    For suppers I do a very normal meal,
    Thank you for requesting me as friend, we can use all the help!!!
    If you have any questions feel free to message me.
    rsw3d3wuitl0.jpg
    48elidws4s0u.jpg
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    missykills wrote: »
    i miss sugar r.i.p.

Since I Tried ADF dieting has been much easier
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Eeeek. You're doing it wrong, it shouldn't feel like that!
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What Jennloella said.

I don't deny myself anything as long as it fits my goals. MFP has been the best and easiest way to a healthy me I've ever had.

I've learned loads and I'm having a great time!
  • missykills
    missykills Posts: 12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @TheRealMexican‌ ooo thank you!!! that is so much healthier than what i've been doing. i'm going to try to start that!

@Jennloella‌ @Stargazer525‌ i know it shouldn't feel like that ): but last year after i lost 30 i hit a huge plateau so i started eating better and exercising more, lost 5 more and then plateau'd again! so now i gotta get hardcore lol. but i'm actually starting to have fun and learning to appreciate new kinds of foods. i'm sure through time & with more experience i'll get less bitter about dieting lol
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you'll find your groove.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Dieting to lose weight on a diet that's unsustainable for life will usually result in weight regain.
    Find something you can do for life and BE PATIENT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Theleminator
    Theleminator Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    missykills wrote: »
    i miss sugar r.i.p.
    Missy,
    You need to change your exercise routine, your body gets use to what you are doing, that's when we hit those plateaus.
    I do weights and yoga or weights and cardio, different every day, so your body gets "confuse" and cannot adapt.