Hypo - home made protein snacks?

Options
MrsFarrow
MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
I just found out I'm hypoglycemic. Not a huge deal, but I can definitely feel it, and I know I've been handling it wrong. I just spoke to my doctor, and she said to eat smaller meals throughout the day, keep snacks on me, high protein etc. And eat breakfast. That will be a HUGE issue, but at this point I'm looking for some home made snacks I can make for cheap! I'm still in the foggy state so excuse the haphazard post! I'm sure I can throw something together, but I figured some of you out there may have some better ideas! Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I keep little snacks in my purse- snack size ziplock baggies. Nuts- cashews, pecans, and pistashios are my faves. I also get the hard cereal bars in a value pack for about $2.50 (value pack- 12). Wheat thins or cheese-itz (so I can share with my kiddo), too.

I also eat a banana or cereal bar on my way to work (cause I'm always running behind) and then eat something "better" like oatmeal or cereal at my desk in the morning.

Just my little tidbits... hope it helps!
  • pinkchick2006
    pinkchick2006 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like whole wheat toast and peanut butter on crazy mornings!! Also hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks make great snacks!!
  • GonnaDoItJenn
    GonnaDoItJenn Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana are a go-to breakfast for me. I buy the small packs of organic peanut butter in bulk and just use one for an entire banana. Great for protein and potassium.

Also, I have recently started keeping the Lance Crackers with Peanut Butter and Honey so I have the protein and it's not as dry.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I try to incorporate some protein in my snacks too. Here's my favs - string cheese, veggies with hummus (I make a lower fat version, and it's much cheaper than store bought), apples with a little peanut butter, greek yogurt. I keep almonds & fiber one bars in my desk at work too.
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    love greek yogurt as a high protein snack! in the mood for sweet ad vanilla extract, truvia and cinnamon to dip apple in, for salty try yogurt with ranch dressing powdered mix, (about 2 tsp) for dipping veggies, 1/2 cup has 13 g protein, great for hypoglycemia, i know personally.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Fool yourself cookies are pretty good. I also made some similar with:
    1/3 cup oats
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 tsp cinamon
    sweetener to taste, I used about 2 packets
    2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    dash of baking powder