Portions

Options
Do you guys think breakfast or lunch should be the biggest meal of the day? I'm inbwtween bc I feel like breakfast is such an important part but I'm ALWAYS hungry between lunch and dinner.. and I feel like that hunger is just setting me up for eating more at dinner + late night snacking.
What do you guys think?

Replies

• reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, breakfast is the biggest meal of the day, because I work the night shift and what I eat for breakfast is what my boyfriend eats for dinner.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Meal timing has no influence on weightloss so just spread it out in a way that works for you and your lifestyle
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Personal choice.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The better option is whichever one keeps you fullest for longest, fuels you properly for your activities, or fits with your daily life better. As long as you keep to your daily calorie goal you won't notice adverse effects in terms of weight loss/maintenance. If you're getting crazy-hungry late afternoon which makes you snack and potentially puts you over your goal, have a bigger lunch. There's no requirement to have breakfast if you prefer not to and don't have any medical conditions or anything.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Do what is best for YOU. Everyone is different. I prefer a low-calorie (but VERY nutritious) small breakfast. I balance lunch & dinner depending upon how I feel – KNOWING I will want 1-2 snacks at night – my snacks are small and calculated in advance.

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

Sample of my snack or small meal – (of course other times, it is 100-calorie bag of popcorn or fiber bar or --- whatever - but always calculated into my day.

20150207_064952_breakfast%20blank%20129_zpsefpribzk.jpg

73641431.png[/url
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Try different things and see what works for you. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a huge fat, protein, and good carb load breakfast is what works for me. I keep it in about 600 (sometimes closer to 700) calories and that leaves me with plenty to use during the day. I stay more satisfied throughout the day and night doing this. The rest of my eating is smaller amounts at a time usually, but I am not strict on that at all as long as it fits the calories. It took trial and error. I rarely used to eat breakfast at all.

Maybe lunch or dinner needs to be bigger for you. Freedom is figuring out that it doesn't matter when you have a big meal as long as it fits the entire days calories. I'm also having success by not worrying as much about fat content. It's so freeing for me. Of course, that doesn't mean going crazy lol but...I eat way more grams of fat than I ever did before on a "diet"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like to keep breakfast under 400 calories to leave more calories for the rest of the day. It doesn't have to be the biggest meal of the day, it's just whatever you prefer. You'll have to experiment a little to see what works best for you.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.
    I pretty much have my calorie intake split up pretty evenly, three meals about the same calorie amount and 2 snacks about the same. That works best for me.