Macros doubt

I am trying to lose weight (body fat). My calorie intake is 1600. My activitiy level is "light".

My current proportions are:
Carbs - 25%
Fat - 25%
Protein - 50%

Shall I continue with this proportion or should I change something?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Protein is too high in my opinion. No need to go above .8 grams per lb of body weight. What you have is 200 grams.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Seems pretty high on protein and low on carbs.
  • swapyuk
    swapyuk Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks guys. I don't understand why protein is too high because it is better to eat more protein than fat and carbs while losing weight. It helps or no?

I am getting good results with that proportion but wanted to double check with experts if it is ok to continue.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    swapyuk wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I don't understand why protein is too high because it is better to eat more protein than fat and carbs while losing weight. It helps or no?

I am getting good results with that proportion but wanted to double check with experts if it is ok to continue.

Getting enough protein helps, but once you get a certain level the excess isn't really helping. That being said, if you're getting the results you want then why change it?
  • swapyuk
    swapyuk Posts: 57 Member
    Exactly! I am worried that long term might turn excess protein to fat so if someone went through my situation at what point should I start eating a little less protein. My body fat percentage seems to be 22-25%.

I am think to increase carbs and lower protein intake once I am around 19% body fat that might be achieved if I continue my current proportion for 2 months with home exercises. (I don't go to gym)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I aim for 0.8g of protein per lb of LBM (range is 0.8 to 1g) beyond that is unnecessary

It's the only macro I watch

I like carbs ..so your ratio would mean I wouldn't stick but you need to do what works for you