Whose stupid idea was it to take a picture straight on?

Options
dwaggs01
dwaggs01 Posts: 13 Member
Oh... It was mine.

I am a month into my new lifestyle of better living and weight loss and things have been going well. I have been using the MFP message boards for inspiration and even though an injury has limited me from doing much exercise, I have lost 15lbs in my first month.

After reading several mentions on the boards of taking pictures along the way, I decided to take a picture of myself with a straight-on and side shot last night without my shirt on (like they do on Biggest Loser). Wow, that was depressing. Looking in the mirror definitely doesn't have the same affect as looking at a still image.

As a big guy, I have always shied away from taking pictures and hid behind baggie clothes or other people when pictures were taken. Seeing the picture on the screen was very shocking.

Part of me wanted to delete it and never do that again but, I have decided that, while that picture will never see the light of day, I am going to keep it hidden away (password-protected) and I will use it as motivation. I will continue to take pictures of my progress and compare to this "initial" state.

Thank you MFP for getting me out of my comfort zone.

Replies

• Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Or maybe in one year you will be posting it along with a new photo in the success stories section :wink:
  • dwaggs01
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I will have to be rockin' a six pack to post a shirtless pic. So maybe in 2 years. ;)
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel it's important to take that initial pic, whether it's posted or not. When you reach goal it's all the sweeter when you see how far you've gone! B)
  • Numb5kull
    Numb5kull Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a personal timeline of pics...I wouldn't show them to the world for anything. That being said, they will become priceless motivation to you and reassurance that your hard work is paying off.

Accept it, you're not where you want to be. Now, get there. You can do it.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain.. being at least 120 lbs overweight.. my stomach hangs and sags.. and my pic i wanted to blow up with some dynamite.. lmao..
    that being said, everytime i start to lose weight i get 3 months in and i plateau.. the scale stops, i get depressed.. this is first topless selfie i ever took.. i didnt look at it, just saved it and hid it.. march 1'st (or so) i''ll take another... at wich time i will probably weight myself... (not trying to weigh myself much either)
    i'm hoping that when i plateau the pictures will give me the motivation...
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to take one of these pictures but I really don't want to have to look at it.
  • sim156
    sim156 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You think taking a picture is bad, try seeing yourself on video. My husband video taped me dancing last week on my 40th Bday. I wanted to cry when I looked at the video. It did give me the extra boost I needed to get back to my workout plan.
  • cjr1
    cjr1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm with you denial is so much easier . . . Of course it's also, well, denial.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I take a monthly front and side shot. It's actually really a confidence boost when you scroll through them and see your stomach going down each time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm taking pictures monthly. I don't like looking at them (and will never post them) but it is a good way to see progress over time. The mirror/mind is deceptive.
  • mehanovicselma84
    Options
    I think best way to track ur results is by taking pic.Its best way to track ur results and also to learn which work out and nutrion plan works best for u.
    p.s sorry for my english :)
  • KazzBeDoinIt
    KazzBeDoinIt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Its funny. I really didn't know how big I was. Still am, I guess- but somehow when I look at myself I really didn't see it. I know I am not paper thin but I also didn't feel like a Macy's Day Parade float either UNTIL my daughter took a photograph of my Granddaughter and I making cookies one day. Good Lord! That was all I needed. In that picture: I didn't even know it was myself. I was huge. Just the thought of the image on the paper makes me sick. I am not that person & never will be! *Take pictures. Enjoy your journey. B) You are amazing!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I did take a before pic, and I try to take progress pictures every couple months. Seeing the first few was really hard. I felt absolutely terrible, and even after losing 20 pounds I still felt that I looked horrible. There is something about seeing yourself bare, in a way you never would in a normal picture, that can be very depressing. But once you start seeing the body changes you want to show those before and progress pics to everyone
  • jazzyjez
    jazzyjez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to take one of these pictures but I really don't want to have to look at it.

IKR! :D
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, "before" pictures can initially be so very painful to look at! :'(.
    It took me many months before I had the courage to post mine openly and especially showing my face. But down the track I was sooo glad I did take them because, while they really jolt you into a very scary and sad reality, there's also *Nothing* that will show you just how far you've come along the way because you also won't actually see the extend of those changes in the mirror!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You'll be glad you did - and you probably WILL be showing them off when you start to see some real progress. I'm no longer embarrassed of my "before" photos - I love them. I love to see all the changes I've made and how much my hard work has paid off.
  • dwaggs01
    Options
    You'll be glad you did - and you probably WILL be showing them off when you start to see some real progress. I'm no longer embarrassed of my "before" photos - I love them. I love to see all the changes I've made and how much my hard work has paid off.

I am sure looking forward to that day.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ok I guess I am going to take some tonight. :#
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Well, I applaud your bravery. I chose to keep my clothes on and post it :p No more shame in my game. Just acceptance and effort to improve. The first time was the worst. The scale said 183, but I had been in total denial about how I looked. Granted, I was sick in bed for months on end so not really looking at myself, but the 1.5 pound a week gain just crept up on me. I guess pajamas are very forgiving :D

Somehow the mirror had been tricking me...at 133 pounds I always saw the flaws and constantly struggled with losing 5 pounds, and then with being sick and gaining I never really noticed it until one day, when I got out of the shower, caught a glimpse of myself, and shrieked. I jumped on the scale and bam....183 pounds. I didn't really even notice the weight before then. I know that seems impossible to gain 50 pounds and not be aware of it, but I wasn't. I had bigger problems in my life than concerning myself with weight and appearance I guess. Denial runs deep, and I apparently am great with denial. Who knew?!?!

The beginning picture is the hardest one to look at. Somehow it just stares right at you, undeniable and horrible. The second and third don't feel much better right when you take them, until they go next to the original. Then it feels like the greatest idea ever! Have a down day, need a pick me up, want to motivate yourself to keep at it or try harder....there it is.

I wish you success on your journey, and am so glad you chose to keep the picture and not delete it. The results are noticeable early on, even with small weight changes. One day very soon you will put another picture alongside it...and bam....improvement and success will be staring right back at you!
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I plucked up the courage and took some pics last night...shocking... these are now password protected and I have set a reminder to take new pics every 6 weeks. there is definetly a bonus though my friend has lost 7 stone over the last 2 1/2 years talking to her she honestly didn't realise how different she ,looked I made a collage off some before and after pics I had, when I showed her she cried.