Frustrated

Options
I've been working out for over a year. I really improve my cardio vascular and strength but wanted to try a lose some weight and entered an 8 week challenge. I started January and increase my intensity, changed up my cardio and weight train once a week with a trainer. I am muscular but haven't lost a pound. I write everything I consume daily and it says I will drop 7-10 pounds in five weeks each day. I gained a pound and can't figure out why? I was on my cycle and I am hoping that would be the reason but am just frustrated.

Replies

• Mariazanga
    Options
    Maybe your gaining muscle!! I work out everyday and have been doing 21 day fix since jan 5th didn't loose a pound last round on my 2nd round plus I walk every day I am staying off scale until I complete this round!! I do feel a difference though and this time took my measurements . Take your measurements
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    She's not gaining muscle. She's on her cycle and she's not accurately counting her food intake
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    And that is exactly why I avoid time based challenges and goals.

Your monthly hormonal cycle will affect your weight. What you eat will affect your weight--eat more carbs than usual and you'll likely retain more water and see stagnation or increases on the scale. Your workouts will affect your weight--add a more intense routine and you'll likely see stagnation/increases. NONE of that means that you are doing anything wrong. It is completely normal and exactly why you should focus on long term fat loss and fitness and not on overall weight loss within X time frame.

As for the 5 week projections, ignore them. They are based on simple mathematics (I.e., 1 lb =3500 cal, (your daily deficit x 7 x 5) / 3500) which, once again ignores that we don't live in a vacuum where factors other than calories affect our weight.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to gain a pound of muscle....That's most likely NOT it.
    Like you mentioned, it could be your cycle, could be water retention, could be not having a bowel movement, could be too much sodium... Could be a number of things! If you're following your program, you should see results. Look for weight loss progress over time. Don't focus on one week, unless you're consistently gaining. Your weight should go down as you stick with it!

Good luck!