What do I do when all I want to do is eat and I have no self-control left? (low-cal food tips?)

Options
I do fairly well throughout the day eating healthy, but when I get home I usually am tired, stressed, and just want to get and bed and eat a bottomless bowl of queso. Ya feel me? Any suggestions on what to eat when I feel this way?

Replies

• KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Drink herbal teas! Cut up carrots and PPP them in the oven until crispy and you have yourself "healthy chips"
  • laura97z
    Options
    Drink herbal teas! Cut up carrots and PPP them in the oven until crispy and you have yourself "healthy chips"

PPP? I'm confused :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    broccoli....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Queso. This far north we chew on whale blubber.

Seriously, air popped popcorn, pre-measured.
    Home-made puffed wheat or puffed rice squares (I control the sugar content).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, I had one serving of fruit and probably 9 servings of veggies today, so it probably answers your question...
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My mistake. I meant "pop"lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    laura97z wrote: »
    I do fairly well throughout the day eating healthy, but when I get home I usually am tired, stressed, and just want to get and bed and eat a bottomless bowl of queso. Ya feel me? Any suggestions on what to eat when I feel this way?

That's the typical non-sustainable dieting pattern. A low cal fix or relying on self control when tired, hungry and stressed out, is not going to work. It just won't.

Make sure you aren't restricting too much when "eating healthy". Get enough calories during the day and only eat things you enjoy, while hitting your nutritional needs. That way you won't feel deprived. You'll feel satisfied, and as happy and relaxed as food can make you.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I generally keep at least 50% of my calories to eat in the evening as that is my danger time too. Eat your exercise calories and make sure you're not trying to lose too fast. A 2lbs deficit is very hard to sustain as you get lighter and your calories drop.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Oh, you're back.

Well, OP. First, I would address the desire to eat due to boredom/tiredness/ect. Make sure you are eating only if you're hungry!

Secondly, you don't have to have "healthy" items. If you want queso, have queso! Just make sure it fits into your daily intake.

I personally am a huge fan of cheese sticks, Laughing Cow wedges on crackers, hard boiled eggs, or homemade guacamole with Food Should Taste Good chips. Things higher in fat or protein will help fill you up, and hopefully curb that late night hunger feeling!
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you are eating due to a stressful day try instead to talk to a friend about your day, if you can ( I know it's difficult after working all day!) take a walk or do a easy PM yoga DVD. Try to stay within your allotted intake. Life is stressful and after work decompressing with your favorite food is an easy way to comfort! You aren't alone!
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work long late hours too, and did go home and mindlessly eat whatever I could. Now I am keeping lots of cooked chicken, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks and protein drink ingredients stocked, and it really helps. Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars are an OK choice if I can fit them in also. Good luck. For me its a mental thing and I have to keep myself in check and make it a lifestyle without having to think so much. P.s. have a little queso, but not the chips. Find another dipper!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I dont keep anything i know i shouldnt eat in the house so when i come home in the evening and want to eat like crazy i dont have anything unhealty or high in calories to do it with. Dont buy queso or keep small amounts so you dont over eat a large amount.
  • cherryberry03
    cherryberry03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My day is 2:30am - 7:30Pm. I am constantly starving through out the day
    - I run for 1 1/2 - 2hr @ a 9.30 min mile and still mange to over eat Blah...
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A pickle, believe it or not, gets me through this.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I like homemade soup. Tortilla soup is my favorite. Or even chilli, its filling and can make it w lean meat.