Weight loss after 40 is possible

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Did someone say it's not possible? 49 and 75 lbs down.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    here's the thing with me: I have literally been fat all my life with the exception of a few hours back in the late '70s. Just shy of my 58th birthday (July 2013), I came to the realization that I spent my entire life (except for those few hours in the '70s) making excuses for my weight problems and that excuses are nothing but a cop out for not dealing with the issue straight on. So... here I am-- 18 months later and for the very first time in my life I feel good and I think I look good. Not really sure how much I've lost as I haven't weighed since that fateful day in July... going to the doctor this Friday for a checkup and will have to step on the scale then. What I can say is that at my highest (2005), when I turned 50, I weighed 270 lbs and was wearing size 26/28... today I am wearing a size 4. So... for anyone who says it impossible to lose weight after 40: uh uh... it is totally possible. My only regret is that I would like to have seen what I would have looked like in my 20s, when the skin was a little more taut and the breasts a little more perky ;)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    It's absolutely possible! I am 43, hypothyroid for 15+ years, celiac, and have lost 30.5 lbs in 152 days. That's an average of 1 lb per 5 days.

I watch what I eat, weigh my food with a food scale, and work out. 3.5 lbs to goal! (5'7 and currently 138.4 lbs)

I must have this dog!!! So cute!!!

Thanks!! I will give her a treat and tell her you said so <3
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm 43 and am in the best shape of my life. I cringe whenever I hear people use age as an excuse. That's all it is: an excuse. If you want something badly enough you'll put in the work to make it happen. Thanks for the thread!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    She got married and had pancakes and bacon every day for breakfast and a large Coke and pizza every day for lunch and sometimes dinner as well, whereas before she usually just had a single hard-boiled egg and fruit for breakfast and a small sandwich for lunch. Yet she remained convinced the problem was she had turned 30....

You may have to introduce her to "fork downs" I know that helps me all the time (*)

• TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad all of you posted! I'm feeling the positive vibes among everyone. Let's all give ourselves a big round of applause
  • millsedith
    millsedith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspiring to me! Following this thread as I turn 50 this year and am feeling a HUGE slow down in my metabolism. I guess I just need to keep working at it and be patient - that's my big downfall.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know that slow-down in metabolism (marginal at best) is only down to reduced activity and reduced muscle mass

get active - build muscles and your resting calorie burn will increase again
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Much of what we topically attribute to aging has more to do with the lack of exercise by aging people rather than age.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible! It does get harder as you get older, especially after menopause, but it's possible any time.

Congratulations on your loss! You should be proud! :)
  • mollymoonz
    Options
    Hello Im in my 40, what do you recommend as the right amount of days to weight in again, and not get disappointed because of water retention due to new activity level, I get crushed when I weigh in 3 days after I begin a routine and I weigh more, so I just stop and feel unmotivated, your thoughts ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You have to find your own balance for what works for you

Sounds like you should aim for weekly or every 2 weeks

Personally I like daily but then I am happy with fluctuations and don't get upset when it goes up because I like to understand how my exercise, sodium or hormones affect the weight on the scale
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, I lost 118lbs 6 years ago and am pretty much maintaining now! It is hard at any age but you can do it. Just have to focus and move more!! Congratulations on your success so far, I'm sure you will achieve your goals. Jules xx
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Of course its possible, just not as easy as when I was younger.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i am 42 and have lost 45 pounds since june. you can teach an old dog new tricks!
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Really motivational thread! I'll be 52 in March and have let myself go for the past 3 years, resulting in 15 extra pounds. Since January 1 I've lost 7 of them.

For me, exercise is key. I used to be able to lose weight without it--no more. And after a month of cardio only, I see that strength training, in particular, is key. Monday I start my bodyweight program (You Are Your Own Gym). I'm pretty stoked--something new and challenging!

I take this getting in shape thing one day at a time and stay patient. Do the right things every day, and good things will happen.

Women over 40 or 50 who are looking for friends, please do friend me--would love to share the journey!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    markus532 wrote: »
    hi i"m 47 I watch what I eat & i walk 5 km and a stationary recumbent bike at least 2 time a week . I've lost 150 lbs
    You win!! This is a very encouraging thread for those of us staring 40 in the face!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I am about to turn 41 and I am in the best shape of my life. This will be the first year I wear a bikini with confidence! :)
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am about to turn 41 and I am in the best shape of my life. This will be the first year I wear a bikini with confidence! :)

That is so great, I love that! You are at where I'm going to be!

42 this week - lost 43 lb. 20 left to be really in shape.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    So far down 182 pounds -- and "well past" 40!