what should be ideal % of carb/fat/protein for my goal

Options
My height 5.5
My current weight 80 kg.
My Goal:-loosing fat and gain muscle. Get my weight down to 68 kg. 12 more kg's to go.

I am doing cardio (30-40 mins daily) and recently started extensive weight training (6 days a week).
Eating 1560 calories per day. Have been very strict with my diet since last 2 months (lost 4 kgs). Only eating eggs, fruits, vegetables, Whey Isolate and very rarely chicken.

Can you please suggest how should I set my macros
Carbohydrate % (MFP App sets it to 50% default)
Fat % (MFP App sets it to 30% default)
Protein (MFP App sets it to 20% default)

Suggestions.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    MFP's default is fine - unless you are an elite athlete you don't need to alter it.

That said, I recently altered that to 10% protein and 60% carbs because the American Heart Association reports that Americans eat more protein than we need and recommends a 10% level. MFPs fat default is in their zone and carbs had some play to it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I read the AHA using the CDC for Prevention number for protein as a range of 10% to 35%. I do not believe the AHA states 10% as a recommended level but the bottom part of a range. I think for most people striving within ranges makes sense. OP you will read the numbers of protein and fat grams using a formula for setting them as minimums in different threads and they depend more on the goal you are seeking. Best of luck.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how the figures work in metric. Most articles I've seen recommend you get your body weight in lbs of protein. ( or at least your lean body mass.) So if your lean mass is 60 kg, you should shoot for 60×2.2 (132 grams of protein). For fats you multiply that by 0.4 for around 53 grams of fat. Let you carbs balance out the rest of your calories. Find the percentages that get you these numbers,(or whatever the numbers that fit your weight), after figuring exercise calories and use those.

You don't have very much weight to lose. As you body fat decreases, even with weight training, you will lose muscle at a deficit that is aimed at 2 lbs per week. I'd recommend you to increase your calories to 1800 or more.
  • darrinhayesps
    Options
    Agree with dave4d. in my opinion ur protein is WAY to low. American heart suggestions are based on the average person.....average people don't workout like you do...6 days a week. To make sure you aren't losing mass up your protein to at least 1gm per body weight. I used 40/40/20 but that's a little low for carbs for me so gonna change it up a little. Also increase the calories
  • darrinhayesps
    Options
    Also don't be afraid to change up your cardio from time to time. Fast paced cardio will use carbs for energy while slower paced over more duration will use FAT as a primary energy source.
  • wootrition
    wootrition Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should definitely be eating more in total...up your protein, and why all the strange restrictions on foods? It's really not necessary to restrict to that degree in order to lose fat, and usually ends up being detrimental to both one's health and psychological well being.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    wootrition wrote: »
    I agree thatmicro-nutrould definitely be eating more in total...up your protein, and why all the strange restrictions on foods? It's really not necessary to restrict to that degree in order to lose fat, and usually ends up being detrimental to both one's health and psychological well being.

Agree about the diet, just a poorly constructed one.

I'll third that. Everywhere I've read states that most of our protein should be from animals. Whey is okay from time to time, but it is lacking in many of the micronutrients that exist in meat.
  • Csauskojus
    Csauskojus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics gives you a range to shoot for, which I appreciate since I don't get so hung up on meeting the absolute numbers for each day.
    45-65% carb
    20-35% protein
    up to 30% fat
    ≤10% unsaturated
    ≤10% polyunsaturated
    ≤10% saturated

As long as you are within the range for the day/week, you are doing all right. Your body NEEDs all 3 macros. Also make sure you are hitting your vitamin/mineral adequate intake goals as well especially if you are limiting yourself to specific foods. I tried one crazy stupid diet and made myself seriously iron deficient among other things and my hair started falling out…nutrient deficiencies are serious business. Doing it right this time!