Mfp has been sold. What is to expect?

Options
From Forbes: "When asked about how MyFitnessPal’s business model might change, Lee hinted at a premium version of the app where users paid for additional features that would increase their likelihood of weight loss success, or premium versions that could be prescribed to patients." Ouch!!

Replies

• donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    From MyFitnessPal: "In the meantime, please rest assured that your experience with MyFitnessPal will not change. Our products, services and team will remain the same. MyFitnessPal will still be free to use, you own your data and Under Armour will never sell it to any third parties. We will also continue to sync with your wearable devices and fitness apps." https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/myfitnesspal-joins-forces-with-under-armour/
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I hope it doesn't change and remains free. I won't be able to use it, if it costs anything, and this site has helped me a lot.
  • kimballard1966
    kimballard1966 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If they start charging I won't be able to stay here either. Love MFP!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. Dr. Oz could have bought it.

fwiw, there are 3-5 active threads on this topic.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't do Weight Watchers because I can't afford it. I really hope this place stays free.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    If it becomes a paid service, I'll just go back to Sparkpeople. Their food and exercise tracker is just as good, but the forums aren't as entertaining. They are more polite, though=boring. LOL
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Folks people that invest many millions of dollars do it for one reason. Having a free stripped version and a Premium version for a fee is the way most web based businesses are ran today. Losing people who are too broke or just unwilling to pay for services of value does not hurt the bottom line of any company.
  • PicoBoulevard
    PicoBoulevard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hope they don't take away some of the free offerings, as some "free sites" have after making changes to their business plans. In those cases, suddenly some of the most important aspects become premium, for pay.

Like others, I would stop using MFP if it became a pay site.
  • Csauskojus
    Csauskojus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. Dr. Oz could have bought it.

fwiw, there are 3-5 active threads on this topic.

Haha! Yes! Thank you for the chuckle!

• Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Folks people that invest many millions of dollars do it for one reason. Having a free stripped version and a Premium version for a fee is the way most web based businesses are ran today. Losing people who are too broke or just unwilling to pay for services of value does not hurt the bottom line of any company.

Sounds right. However, if they reduce services and start charging, those of us who leave will find somewhere else to go. They will leave a void, and Nature abhors a void. It will be filled by another startup, so no worries.
  • Andy_Bailey
    Andy_Bailey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Losing people who are too broke or just unwilling to pay for services of value does not hurt the bottom line of any company.

exactly!

I get that with my freemium stuff, "oh I have to pay for the thing that costs money to provide? I'll use the lame xyz plugin instead"

it's like the trash took itself out!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    They'll probably just add a bunch of ads to every screen.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    If it becomes a paid service, I'll just go back to Sparkpeople. Their food and exercise tracker is just as good, but the forums aren't as entertaining. They are more polite, though=boring. LOL
    I've been very impressed by how extensive the food database is here. Is the database at Sparkpeople really just as good?