Fitness Bands!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I grabbed a Garmin Forerunner 15 for my runs, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it had the fitness tracker goodies too. I can't recommend it highly enough for runners. It's basically as though a vivo fit and a run watch had a baby. It's also nice that the thing looks like a normal watch. I know I shouldn't, but I feel self conscious wearing one of the straight up tracking bands. They just feel conspicuous to me.
  • iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I work for a software company in health and we look into integration of these fitness bands.
    It seems that the Led technolgy works great at rest or general activities. The problem lies when undertaking strenuous activity and the readings can get very random. This is down to the light technology not being able to monitor the changes in the blood capillaries due to moving on the wrist.

As a daily step Monitor they all fair pretty much the same out there. Build quality on Jawbone has been an issue, the Microsoft band is too clunky, fitbit does not integrate with Apple health app, the list goes on.

My advice is if you are Serious and your heart rate is monitored as part of your daily regime, get a band with a separate hrm strap or a fitness watch which uses straps.

Otherwise it's personal preference really.

I picked the Vivosmart because I can wear it in the shower, the integration with third party apps and a separate hrm strap.

Hope that helps [/quote]

It does indeed help but as a college student I can't really spend too much money and I'm uncertain of buying a HRM strap because it seems like something I won't be using. I'd typically be using the bands forseeingg overall steps walked, calories burned and such and the most strenuous would be jogging however I know nothing about fitness bands other than the reviews they receive. But yes, it did help me a bit, thank you.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    I grabbed a Garmin Forerunner 15 for my runs, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it had the fitness tracker goodies too. I can't recommend it highly enough for runners. It's basically as though a vivo fit and a run watch had a baby. It's also nice that the thing looks like a normal watch. I know I shouldn't, but I feel self conscious wearing one of the straight up tracking bands. They just feel conspicuous to me.

Hm, I'll have to look into it and see the reviews abd such for it. Thanks for telling me it. I would just want something inconspicuous that I wear and no one really says anything.
  • myzzfit
    myzzfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It looks like they have a few left at that price. It is the Jawbone Up, not Up24.
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    myzzfit wrote: »

Thanks. The color I wanted was only available for store pickup, and there were no stores nearby... I got the light blue one instead.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and love it. It gives me the info I need and, most important to me, it can be worn in water. I swim laps and do a water aerobics class so I need a band that is water resistant. I looked at the Jawbone Up3 which has a HRM and is water resistant but it only syncs with android, not a PC, and I do not have a smartphone.

One of the PT's at my gym had a jawbone Up and had it break four times within 6 months. They kept replacing it but she gave up on the fourth time and went to a Fitbit.
  • ronmdavis
    ronmdavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the Jawbone Up Move, its fairly inexpensive and is packed with features... Thoughts anyone?
  • rpurcell7485
    Options
    I've had an UP24 for a couple weeks now and like it a lot but i don't have much to compare it to. Jaw bone is set to release the UP3
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/gadget/3584402/jawbone-up3-release-date-price-specs-uk/
  • iandrew124
    Options
    I've had an UP24 for a couple weeks now and like it a lot but i don't have much to compare it to. Jaw bone is set to release the UP3
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/gadget/3584402/jawbone-up3-release-date-price-specs-uk/
    I'm actually waiting for the UP3 xD