Back pain

Options
Hi, my name is Becca& I've been dancing since i was five. But early September, I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L5- S1. My disc is almost completely disintegrated. Doctors have recommended surgery, injections, and a healthier lifestyle. I chose the injections, and am trying to work out everyday and keep my core strong so that I can relieve myself of my lower back pain. it has been 6 months now since I've danced, and I really want to get back to it as soon as possible. any advice?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Becca my daughter had to give up dancing due to joint pain and related stiffness. She turns 18 this year.

In your case i would want to know WHY at your age you have disc disintegration before I would consider continuing dancing.
  • zerimar77511
    Options
    I just recently turned 18, myself. My mother also has two herniated discs, as does my brother, and the doctor said it may be hereditary. He put me in physical therapy which as helped sooo much, I feel amazing, but they still don't think I should dance. It's my senior year& I haven't gotten the opportunity to perform in front of my school. ):
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about herniated disks but if it's a permanent condition and is only aggravated by continued stress, think very carefully if that is worth it. Some things are just not worth it.
  • thathealthblog
    Options
    My dad had a herniated disc 2 years ago, and he had to have surgery to fix it. I'm not too sure of all the details of the surgery, but I know the incision was really small and he was back to normal before six months had past, with the help of physical therapy. My riding instructor also had major back problems due to a riding accident, but I don't think it was a herniated disk that she had. She got the injections too. I would post a link to some stretches I've used for my back, but I don't think it will help as much as the physical therapy your taking! :) I hope the injections and therapy help and hopefully you get to dance again someday soon!