What exercise do you do?

Options
sazzledazzle23
sazzledazzle23 Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all!

I'm getting into my fitness now and was wondering what the best action plan was for exercise?

In the past I've lost weight by just reducing calories. Another time I've reduced cals and started running. And now this time round I've reduced cals and started strength training (2x a week so far). (Can you tell I'm a Yo-yo dieter?)

What would you say is the best way? Either what you've found best for you or just what your PT has said?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There is no best action plan; you have to start. Just start moving. If you look on YouTube, join a gym, take a walk in a park, Google activities in your area, etc. you'll find lots of options.
  • archer2134
    archer2134 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all focus on Your Exercises.you can Squat,sit up,plank at first time, by the time you ought to push up pull up And the most important thing is nutrition
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. It is best to pick something, do it for awhile, and then make changes if/when you want to do something new.

Right now, what's working for me is 4x/wk weight training and 4x/wk incline walking on a treadmill.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like mixing it up.
    I do an hour squash
    Body pump
    Spin
    Gym session
    Cross fit style class

I think its important to do an element of cardio, you never know when you'll need to run away or chase after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to do things you enjoy doing. I also find it very helpful to have actual fitness goals...this will help dictate what you should be doing, how much of it, etc to achieve those goals.

I primarily cycle...and ride 80 - 100 miles per week or more on average. I do a few 1/2 century rides during the year and dabble in cyclocross racing in the fall (doubt I will ever advance beyond a cat4). I'm hoping to get into some mountain biking and trail riding soon...just need to get another bike.

I also enjoy hitting the gym a few nights per week...I primarily do Olympic style lifting which I find to be most beneficial to my overall athletic performance and it's also a great metabolic workout...and it's also kind of cool to be one of the only guys in the gym who can throw up a heavy snatch with kick *kitten* form.
  • CaoimheMariexo
    CaoimheMariexo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The best thing i've found that works for me is Insanity! Its super challenging but its so good. The only thing is, is that once your done you have to keep up the exercise but i just do running intervals or something.
    Just try out different workouts and see what works for you!
    Goodluck. :-)
  • LauraFoxGinn
    LauraFoxGinn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I play the exercise games on the Xbox 360. I like them because I don't enjoy the gym, and they're also a lot cheaper than a gym membership. Plus, I can do them whenever I have a spare 20 minutes. 1 hour of dancing on Dance Central burns around 400 calories according to my heart rate monitor, so I try to fit this in around five times a week. I enjoy it though, so it doesn't feel like exercise.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Find something you love and keep doing it! :) For me that's pilates and walking. If I could, I'd lift weights too..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Agreed: find what you like.

For the last few years:
    I run 3-4 times a week (3-6miles each time).
    I ride my bike to work 2-3 times a week
    I walk to work 2-3 times a week (basically I either walk or ride)
    I lift 2x a week
    I do Pilates 2x a week

I try to get AT LEAST 10,000 steps a day walking

and then with hubs on weekends: we ski, we snow shoe, we hike, we ride, and sometimes we lie around and watch movies. :D

If you'd asked me 10 years ago I would have said: lift 4x a week, walking, and cycling on weekends.
    If you'd asked me 20 years ago I would have said lift and stair climber 3x a week.
    If you asked me 30 years ago I would have said: run 3x a week cycle 3x a week.

It's all good. Just start with moving more and doing some weight training.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The best exercise you can do it one that you enjoy! Otherwise you won't stick with it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Echoing others....find something you like.
    For me it's lifting heavy 4x a week and some HIIT.
    Hate straight cardio and so I ended up ditching those workouts.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yep, find something you like. Here's what I am currently doing:
    • Running 3 times a week, 30-60 minutes each time
    • Cycling once or twice a week, 30-60 minutes, currently on rollers in the basement due to the snow and ice
    • Cross-country skiing once or twice a week, 45-90 minutes
    • Bodyweight exercises twice a week, about 30 minutes, emphasizing upper body
    • Occasional walks or hikes with my wife

Once it gets a bit warmer, the skiing will be replaced with more cycling, so I can get in shape for weekend long rides. I'm aiming to do a 200K ride in late April. I'll also resume commuting to work on my bike (only 3 miles each way, though).

Two years ago, running wouldn't have been in the mix; I took it up again last year.
  • missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also going to say finding something you like and sticking with it. Regardless of what else I do, heavy lifting and body weight training is always a part of my routine. I also do cardio intervals on the treadmill or elliptical. No more than 30 minutes of cardio though because I get bored.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ditto the "find what you like" part. I swim two mornings a week, walk two days a week after work and do about a 30 minute core work out 2-3 mornings a week. I don't count exercise at all in MFP because I think I overestimate my calories there so I just count the food I put in my mouth. Also, because I have a variety of exercise I am doing all week, I don't sweat it if I miss a workout because of work or if I'm too busy. It's a journey.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    alysme wrote: »

I think its important to do an element of cardio, you never know when you'll need to run away or chase after.
    unless zombies are chasing you, theres no reason to run away...
    wait... the cops.. thats another good reason to run away

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel comfortable with. I do two days of yoga and cardio (walking outside when it's nicer), and three days of strength training (started NROLFW this week).
  • josemejia86
    josemejia86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga and p90x
  • reeyonce
    reeyonce Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do Tae Bo with Billy Blanks, HIIT with FitnessBlender.com and toning/stretching with Callanetics. Perfect for me. Works like a charm
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Little cardio...2 hours a week tops, and honestly usually less. Weight lifting 4x a week.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like to walk and jog. Seriously, I could hike around my uni's campus (there's nature trails surrounding it) for hours (if I had that sort of time, ha!). I don't *love* doing strength training, but I love the results (retained muscle, strength gains, lean/athletic figure), so I do that 3x a week (it's only 30-45min of my day, so I'll do it for life long fitness).

As far as what's "best," well like others have said, "best" is what works for your schedule, what you like (or like well enough to stick with), and what works with any other external forces (monetary, geography, access or not to gyms/equipment, etc.).