Healthy chicken salad

Options
lorenzo106
lorenzo106 Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2015 in Recipes
i just made this up off the cuff and thought it was yummy. Just dice up the ingredients and stir and enjoy. What do you think?fevsi4uxg6rp.jpg
iw7gso8qc9se.jpg

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would probably leave out the agave nectar - there's not really any reason to add extra sweetener since you already have the apples.
    There's also some new info available about agave syrup / nectar that seems to indicate it's kinda like having high fructose corn syrup. Google it if you'd like. Or not. No worries either way.

I usually add nuts to my chicken salad. I'm currently in love with Trader Joe's rosemary marcona almonds. I chop them up and add them, along with the rosemary bits. Mmm!

I wouldn't have thought to use greek yogurt instead of mayo. Nice. I bet it's even better the next day.

-T.
  • lorenzo106
    Options
    Rosemary and almonds...hmmm. There going to be in my next batch. Thanks for the idea.
    The Greek yogurt's sour taste came through the first pass so I added the agave to offset it as the apples weren't enough. Maybe a bit more Apple or honey?
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to give this a go minus the agave nectar as I don't have any LOL.
    Thanks for posting!
  • Teneko
    Options
    Sure, I was thinking honey would work if you must. :)
    I know some folks add grapes or cranberries to theirs as well.

-T.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love mine with avocado, cranberries, apples and pecans. Had some yesterday! Yumm!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Honestly that is the saddest salad that ever did salad

1/2 a celery stick, a bite of an apple and a couple of green onions with some chicken does not a salad make.

edit: mustn't forget the 1 1/2 tablespoons of yogurt.

EDIT: it appears this is a cultural difference in the UK a salad has actual salad items in it. Learn something new everyday.

so in the UK that is the saddest salad that ever did salad :flowerforyou:
  • lorenzo106
    Options
    Right. In the UK I imagine you call this sort of thing paste, chunky spread, or some other similarly appetizing descriptor.
  • Teneko
    Options
    Honestly that is the saddest salad that ever did salad

1/2 a celery stick, a bite of an apple and a couple of green onions with some chicken does not a salad make.

edit: mustn't forget the 1 1/2 tablespoons of yogurt.

EDIT: it appears this is a cultural difference in the UK a salad has actual salad items in it. Learn something new everyday.

so in the UK that is the saddest salad that ever did salad :flowerforyou:

Ah, and when I was in the UK, I quite expected "afternoon tea" to actually just be a cuppa! ;)

Hmmm...I can't recall seeing anything similar when I was in the UK, but it's been a LONG time. What would you call this, Iron_Feline? Uhhh Chicken chutney?

-T.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'd use honey instead of agave nectar. Dried cranberries would taste good too. Nicely done!
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    looks good I will have to give this a try. thanks
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Have to try!!! Ty!! :)
  • annetteh145
    annetteh145 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My brother made something similar last summer. Loved the idea of replacing the mayo with Greek yoghurt. I was sooooo good. He didn't put agave though. Also he used a whole grilled rotisserie chicken (skin removed).