is there a way to increase metabolism without exercise

Options
i'm currently limiting my daily intake of cal to 1200, due to my busy schedule and lack of motivation as a student I don't exercise at all ='(
i have no problem keeping my calories within 1200 since I don't burn much calories to begin with. i'm really scared that my metabolism will slow down because i'm eating less now, so my body will get use to 1200 calorie intake by slowing down my metabolism
can someone give me some advise on keeping metabolism high =D thank you very much! Best of luck!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    errr no

the metabolism doesn't work that way - people with more muscle burn calories at a greater rate at rest it's true but the metabolism keeps on keeping on even when you're in a coma

1200 a day sounds pretty grim to me ... stop making excuses and move your butt .. you don't need purposeful exercise (although weight resistance is never wasted) just walk more
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    No. It's that simple.

Move it to lose it. And at 1200 calories, you're probably not getting enough and even if you are...what are your plans for when you plateau?? Check your TDEE, reduce your intake by 20% and for your own sake...move your butt! Park a little further away from class. When you walk out to your car, walk to the end of the driveway or around the parking lot. Adding in walking is the easiest thing you can do for exercise and after you've done it for a while, you'll miss it if you stop.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not really increasing "metabolism" but you can increase your NEAT (Non exercise activity thermogenesis) simply by trying to be more active during the day. Walk to class, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park farther away, etc.

And yeah, finding motivation and time to exercise would be best.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can eat your calories spread out throughout the day. Your body will be burn more calories digesting 5 meals instead of 3. You can drink ice cold water. It takes energy for your body to heat the water up. Put hot sauce or cayenne pepper on your food. The caspium will give a temporary boost to your metabolism rate.

You still need to move around and get some exercise. Take stairs when you can. Walk when you can. Walking for 5 minutes is better than sitting on your rump for 5 minutes. Do laps around your living room during commercial breaks. Climb up and down the stairs for 10 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times a day. Get up 20 minutes earlier or go to bed 20 minutes later. You'd be amazed at how if it is important enough to you, you can find time for it. I know because I used to make the same excuses. I'm tired of being overweight and finally decided to do something about it. I'm down 17 pounds so far and there's still only 24 hours in a day. You can do anything you put your mind to. Good luck!
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can eat your calories spread out throughout the day. Your body will be burn more calories digesting 5 meals instead of 3. You can drink ice cold water. It takes energy for your body to heat the water up.

None of this is true. The only exception that I have heard of is the hot sauce but I'm wondering how accurate that actually is
  • tinali3597
    Options
    thank you guys for all your wonderful replies ! <3
    thank you Virkati for concerning my 1200 calories intake. it is actually enough for me I'm a 5'5 asian girl so 1200 is plenty =)

than you rabbitjb it's interesting to know that people in coma actually burns the same level of calories through out. I know it's a problem for me to move around more. i will try my best to move my butt around more =P

thank you BusyRaeNOTBusty i did not even know NEAT exist, but it does make sense. and it sounds a lot more feasible than going to the gym for someone like me. even though i don't have a car. i can see where you are coming from so thank you! =)

thank you kenmiller75 yes i heard that eating more meals at lesser portion is a good way but the problem for me is that i never actually know how much is a small portion. i tried it before, because i don't know how to control my portions so it wan't successful and i tends to go toward sugary stuff. as for the ice water, I'm not too sure if that's true, i like drinking warm water (sry, i have asian parents) thank you for your wonderful tips!

and thank you rugged shutter for pointing that out, i'm not too sure about the sauce either. but doesn't really matter since i can't take my spices =P haha

Thank you guys for helping me and pointing out my problem. i need motivation! and this has been great! I have only been here for a little over a week, and i felt so welcomed seeing all of your replies! <3<3 thank you!
    i have been struggling with my weight for a while now, because i lived with my lovely asian parents up till university. i was able to maintain a health weight until i started dating and that's around the same time when my schedule got busy so basically i had no time to cook so i turned to fast food.
    dieting is really hard for me because i don't move<--that's my biggest problem. i don't drink or smoke already so there is no need to cut those out of my diet. i don't drive so i take city transits to school and then i walk to my classes basically i'm doing as much non exercise activity as I can. so i guess there is really no simple way ='( i really have to move my butt more
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Being sure to get enough quality protein (.8 g/kg of bodyweight or 1 g/lb lean mass), and including reisistance (weight training) and endurance (cardio) exercise will protect your lean mass, and prevent some of the slowing of BMR that occurs with fat loss.

There are workouts you can do for free on Youtube or fitnessblender. Some of them are only 20-30 minutes long. You can buy a few light hand weights, or use your own body weight for resistance (i.e. pushups, pullups, situps/plank variations). I enjoy seeing how many calories I've earned by exercise - moving more can speed up weight loss. Keep at it and you will see progress in your endurance and strength, and success can be very motivating. Knowing how much your body can do for you also helps motivate you to take care of it. Best wishes :)
  • kcuevas10
    kcuevas10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1200 calories should be the absolute minimum for the day. The problem with losing weight based on calories is as you lose you'll need to keep cutting back on calories in order to lose more, which can be dangerous esp. if you're already at a low amount. The best way to lose weight is by exercise and eating the right types of foods.
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and have 1630 calories a day. Your height and race are not what your calorie needs are based off from. Also I'm a single mom of 2 toddlers and a full time student and I have to drive approximately 500 miles a week just to go to school. So your excuses that youre a 5'5" Asian and a student are just that, EXCUSES!!!!
    -Good luck
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Cocaine?

This IS a joke people, so don't get freaked that I mentioned it.