sandwich meat!

Options
I loooooooooove turkey sandwiches. I usually get the Great Value fat free sliced deli turkey - that is jam packed with sodium. Someone recommended Boar's Head brand for reduced soduim, but I haven't had any luck finding it yet. Anyone have any ideas for lower sodium sandwich meat?

Would it be worth it to buy chicken or turkey breast, cook it myself and make a sandwich out of that? I can only assumed that contains a lot less sodium. What if I bought deli turkey from an actual deli and watch them slice it... I'm so green to sodium levels! Is there a complete alternative to turkey or chicken that rock sandwiches? <
sandwich-a-holic.

Replies

• bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Cook your own turkey and chicken and use that. Not only dramatically lower in sodium but the closer the food is that you buy to natural then better it is for you

Deli-bought sandwich meat is highly processed, has many additives that you dont want and your body struggles to process, which takes the focus off your body burning fat as it is too busy trying to burn away the additives.

WITHOUT A DOUBT make your own!
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Check your deli section. They need to cut it up for you.
  • soonergirl1289
    Options
    bump bump bump!
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Even in the deli the meat is packed with sodium...however many brands will have a reduced sodium option so look for that. Of course cooking your own and seasoning it yourself is ideal when it comes to minimal processing and little to no salt...but that can be time consuming too! I buy Boars Head at Albertson's and Fred Myers. If you have either stores check there...and just check the store brands and look on the back at the sodium levels, look for stuff thats more natural, the fewer ingredients the better. Best of luck!
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Boars head is what i would reccomend as well. The price will be greatly different that what you're used to though. I'm not sure what grocers you have in your area, but I know where I live a lot of the higher end stores carry it, and then the smaller town markets also carry it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooove turkey sandwiches. I usually get the Great Value fat free sliced deli turkey - that is jam packed with sodium. Someone recommended Boar's Head brand for reduced soduim, but I haven't had any luck finding it yet. Anyone have any ideas for lower sodium sandwich meat?

Would it be worth it to buy chicken or turkey breast, cook it myself and make a sandwich out of that? I can only assumed that contains a lot less sodium. What if I bought deli turkey from an actual deli and watch them slice it... I'm so green to sodium levels! Is there a complete alternative to turkey or chicken that rock sandwiches? <
    sandwich-a-holic.

Deli counter is just as bad as the packaged stuff. I even bought a whole ButterBall turkey breast and cooked it without anything but lemon and poultry seasioning, when I entered it, it was still high in sodium. I don't think we are winning this one.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you're like me & just don't have time to cook it that often, Oscar Meyer has a brand that's called Cutting Board. It has just over half the sodium of other deli meats, with same calories. It's been my compromise when I've not had time to roast a whole bird or breast & get it cut up into servings for the week!
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Harris Teeter has Dietz & Watson Lite Turkey about 1/2 the sodium.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I buy turkey breast, roast it then freeze it in individual portion sizes. I used to use it just for sandwiches/wraps but now I add it to all kinds of things.

I won't eat any deli meats. And yes you have to find the turkey's that weren't injected with a sodium solution to get the sodium down but I still think its worth the time to roast a turkey breast and have better tasting meat.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Boars Head is in the Deli. Usually Publix.
    I like the Pastrami Turkey, Blazin Buffalo Chicken and the Low Sodium Turkey isnt too bad.
    But yea, if you're brave enough, make your own lol.
    Lower sodium Boars Head turkey breast has 220 mg per 2 oz.
    Reg skinless oven gold turkey breast has 330 mg per 2 oz.
    Pastrami has 440 per 2 oz.
    Blazin Buffalo has 390 mg per 2 oz.
    http://www.boarshead.com/pdf/NutritionBook_03_2011.pdf
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hillshire Farms now has a lower sodium turkey and ham. It's still not great, but its better than the average deli meat. I keep it on hand because sometimes I have to throw together my lunch fast and that is a better option. I personally love to have cold roasted turkey or chicken leftovers on my sandwiches, but I don't always have the time to roast my own.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    No Publix, Albertson's or Fred Meyer! I'm in OKC. I will buy my own and try'er out! Thanks everyone!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    try ditching the meat 2x a week...
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are low sodium versions available at the deli, that still taste great. I always get Boar's Heas, but there's a brand with Gold in the name that I got a sample of and liked too.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Cook your own turkey and chicken and use that. Not only dramatically lower in sodium but the closer the food is that you buy to natural then better it is for you

Deli-bought sandwich meat is highly processed, has many additives that you dont want and your body struggles to process, which takes the focus off your body burning fat as it is too busy trying to burn away the additives.

WITHOUT A DOUBT make your own!

exactly what I was going to say....make your own!! Tastes best and you control everything so way better for you!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, please roast your own. So easy!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Cooking and slicing your own is no doubt the best way to go. When I get deli meats I go for Applegate Farms because they don't contain the nitrates or nitrites. I worry about that stuff more than sodium.