Walking for exercise

Options
Hi there. I currently have 100 plus pounds to lose. My only form of exercise right now is walking. My question is... Will walking and watching my calories be enough? Is there anyone who has lost a lot of weight by just walking and watching their calories? I don't want to join a gym right now because I have wasted a lot of money in the past by not going. So far I have been losing but I'm afraid it could be from changing my eating habits.

Replies

• JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in April with 160 pounds to lose, all I choose to do is walk and watch calories. I started walking about 10 minutes at a time, slowly, a couple times a week, because it was all I can do. Now, I'm up to 3 miles walked around my neighborhood, at 3mph, 5 times a week. I've lost 70 pounds as of Feb 5th 2015.

You can totally do it. If I can make one suggestion, set your goal to -2 pounds a week, and start out eating your calories back so you can have more food, it makes things easier at first. Once you get stronger and more able to walk, slow down and stop the practice, but keep your goal at -2lb/week.

Congratulations for starting!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes if you count calories correctly. Walking is great exercise but you will lose weight without exercising provided you maintain a calorie deficit.

I walk 3 to 5 times a week. At first I walked around 17 - 18 minutes per mile. After 6 months I now walk at less than 14 minutes a mile.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising as long as you are eating at a deficit. Merely walking is a good idea and ACSM (the American College of Sports Medicine) recommends 150 minutes a week at a moderate intensity to qualify as physically active. You won't get physically fit from this, but you will be more active than at least 50% of the American population
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    yes I only had 30 pounds to lose . I walk most every day about 2.5 miles minimum outside though when I began 2.5 years ago even a mile was a struggle. I still walk 17-19 minutes a mile. 14 is in my dreams!
  • sharonandwyatt
    sharonandwyatt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I needed to read that. 70 pounds down is AWESOME. As of right now I do have my settings set at 2 lbs a week but I haven't ate my calories back. I will try it this week and see what happens. I'm just glad walking and diet will be enough for now
  • gafuk
    gafuk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I presume you log your walks in the exercise section so you can see how many cals' you have burned. It all helps, a little walk is better than none. I have bought a stepper and use that in my home. I put a music channel on and step for ten minutes here and there at my own pace, its private, much cheaper than a gym and adds 160+ on the calories burned each ten minute session. Sounds like your already doing well with your effort anyway!, Good luck
  • kookykrazee
    kookykrazee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot (at least according to my RL friends) with an average the past 2-3 months of 90 minutes of walking and 7500 steps per day along with about 2 1/2 to 3 miles, too. I think it's good to get yourself going and then work on intensity (my next step though I tend to average about 3.25mph over the course of the month per walk). Start with a moderate amount of walking and at a slower speed. Maybe to the local store (buy some tea but not soda or such things) or to the park or somewhere else. One great thing we have in Seattle is the Greenlake loop. it is 2.8 miles for the route (not necessarily where most want to start, but it is good. I pestered my friends for more than 2 years and rather than me annoy them they started walking with me, nothing fast, usually about an hour per loop, but it's something and makes them think of more :)

GL to you :)
  • sharonandwyatt
    sharonandwyatt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I started 75 over weight and still just walking and cleaned up my eating by cutting out highly processed food choices.