1200 calories too low?

Options
I am 5ft 9 and weigh 12st 1lb, I have started using this app 6 days ago and it recommends I consume 1200 calories a day, is this too low? I want to loose body fat and gain muscle, so I am stsrting exercising more and pilates, ive seen mention of tdee, I don, t wanr to loose weight too quickly, can anyone advise me? Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did you select 2lbs a week weight loss?
    If you did then please change it to something slower.

Remember your goal is plus exercise calories.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 inches shorter and not very active. The 1200 is doable for me but I have to fill that hunger between meals with lots of water. Make sure your activity level it set where it should be, that you have the correct height entered in, and lower your goal to 1lb per week.

I can just manage but at your height and activity level trying to maintain a 1200 calorie diet will be tortuous.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If you selected 2 lbs/wk loss, it's too restrictive, especially when you want to only lose 20lbs. So yes, 1200 is too little for you.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

And if you would like more information about TDEE CLICK HERE!!

:flowerforyou:
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You will lose muscle eating that few calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you selected 2 lbs/wk loss, it's too restrictive, especially when you want to only lose 20lbs. So yes, 1200 is too little for you.

All of this. Plus unless you're lifting weights for the first time, you won't be gaining muscle while eating in a calorie deficit.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Same advice as above. If you are 5'9" you are likely to need more than 1200 cals. I try to get to 1200 cals per day, but I eat about 2000 cals/day and burn out 800 cals on a treadmill.
  • onedayTHISYEAR
    onedayTHISYEAR Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    New to all of this ... but wont the calorie allowance increase once he does the exercise that is planned.
    1200 may be your basic but you will be rewarded when you enter in the exercise you plan to do to increase the muscle...??
    No exercise no treats ;)
    On COLD days (we are in winter in a cold house) 1200 is difficult to VERY difficult when its a bit warmer its easier for me.
  • kathrinecogan
    kathrinecogan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and on 1200 calories a day. First two weeks lost 5kg. Today fortnightly weigh in NOTHING LOST. Going to do 1000 calories from now on. My body seems like it allows me only to eat like a sparrow. I am 77kgs.
  • richndawnj
    richndawnj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be careful your body doesn't go into starvation mode where it hangs on to the fat in your body. Try eating slightly more calories for one day to keep your body guessing. Then return back to 1200 calories after. This should kick start your metabolism.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    richndawnj wrote: »
    Be careful your body doesn't go into starvation mode where it hangs on to the fat in your body. Try eating slightly more calories for one day to keep your body guessing. Then return back to 1200 calories after. This should kick start your metabolism.

Starvation mode won't happen, and your metabolism doesn't need kickstarted.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    richndawnj wrote: »

Unless you are dead or have a thyroid problem, a metabolism does not need to be "kick started".

Also, starvation mode is a myth.
  • richndawnj
    richndawnj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion on this
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and on 1200 calories a day. First two weeks lost 5kg. Today fortnightly weigh in NOTHING LOST. Going to do 1000 calories from now on. My body seems like it allows me only to eat like a sparrow. I am 77kgs.

What? Don't do that. Weigh and log all your food and eat 1200+
    And do some research.
  • clarejohnson2010
    Options
    Thank you everyone you have all been really helpful. I had selected to lose 2lb per week so I will adjust this. I am going to start resistance training and some light weights as it is my body fat % and shape I want to change, to be more toned and stronger rather than what I weigh.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone you have all been really helpful. I had selected to lose 2lb per week so I will adjust this. I am going to start resistance training and some light weights as it is my body fat % and shape I want to change, to be more toned and stronger rather than what I weigh.

Excellent
  • katiemaespencer
    katiemaespencer Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Do not go down to 1000! Your body needs way more calories than that! Please do not go below 1200! 1200 is still too low for most people!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Did you select 2lbs a week weight loss?
    If you did then please change it to something slower.

Remember your goal is plus exercise calories.
    THIS!

And THIS!

1200 is too low for most of us. I'm about your age and an inch shorter, and I eat 1800-2000 cals a day and lose. Food is fuel! And the TDEE method was a great move for me.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Great plan! Good luck! There are lots of great resources here for women and weights, so look around!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at preserving muscle, meeting your protein macro is going to be very important.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829110430.htm