Plateau...you've got to be kidding!

Options
I suppose I should have expected that it couldn't be that easy...I lost 2 pounds a week for 4 weeks, and now...nothing! If this happened to you, too, what did you do to stay focused?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Has it only been one week that you haven't lost? If so, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It used to happen to me all the time, as long as you stay on track and do everything you need to be doing it will come off. If, however, it's been, say, FOUR weeks, you'll want to look at your diet and exercise and see about tweaking it (up the intensity in your workouts and either eat a little more or less - as long as you're not dipping below 1200 cals daily - or check the quality of your food).

Feel free to friend me if you'd like to troubleshoot! :D
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Way to go on losing 8 lbs. That's really great.
    Now a plateau is where weight stays the same for over a month. Just keep doing what has been working and scales will move again.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? Like others have said, it's usually considered a plateau when its been 4 weeks or longer.

Now that being said: A few things can hinder weight loss in the short term. Having a high sodium meal can make you retain some fluid for a little while causing some water weight. Also depending on where you are with your cycle, you can hold onto some water weight.

If it has been 4 weeks since you've lost weight it may be time to re-evaluate your calorie goals.
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    Thanks for asking! It has only been one week. I continue to make healthy choices and I am not discouraged...yet! I cannot imagine 4 weeks without any progress!

Thanks so much!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking! It has only been one week. I continue to make healthy choices and I am not discouraged...yet! I cannot imagine 4 weeks without any progress!

Thanks so much!

That is not a plateau. Weight loss is not always linear. If you don't lose next week, tighten up your logging.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've lost 10lbs this year and I've had 3 periods of a week or longer without loss. The scale moves in fits and starts. You'll make yourself crazy worrying about it.
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    Thanks! Will do! I think I began to expect too much when I lost so much so quickly!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Will do! I think I began to expect too much when I lost so much so quickly!

I know it's easy to get discouraged. This kind of thing is totally natural though. Keep at it.
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    You are absolutely right! I weigh when I first awaken...sometimes just for the fun of it, I will weigh 10 minutes later and weigh 2 pounds more!
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    My clothes fit so much better! I feel so much better! It is all worth it!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You only have 4 pounds left to lose. Patience and stop weighing yourself multiple times a day you'll just drive yourself crazy
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Yup, the scale scale fairy shows up when she damn well feels like it
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    You two are just what I need! Thank you for your candor!