I just binged all my weekly exercise away. UGH.

Options
I had the most horrible day. I binged on about 3000 or possibly more calories. All my hard work for the week gone. I have anxiety and feel like crap afterward but I do this again and again. Does anyone else have this problem? How do I get out of cycle?

Replies

• Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Thursday was a 3209 calorie day for me, which was practically double my daily allowance.

I don't really have advice on how to break the cycle, as this certainly isn't the first time I've done it. All I can tell you to do is start over the next day. Yesterday I spent an hour at the gym and only ate back about half of the calories. I'm doing the same thing today, and probably tomorrow. Just trying to take small chunks out of the mistakes I made.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I am not coming from a position of any authority on this, so forgive me please if this is terrible advice, but ... I'm about not denying yourself anything and being able to sustain your habits over the long haul. What about - for now - allowing the binge but changing the food? If it's chocolate (which is my downfall), allow yourself the whole bag of pretzels. Go back to the store for another bag, if you need to. It's still better than eating chocolate for an hour until the M&M Pounder bag is gone. That said, avoidance techniques (being proactive) are probably best. Are you feeling it come on? If so - could you do something to distract you? Go for a walk? Change your scenery.
  • hxu678
    Options
    Take it easy and don't blame yourself, just re-start it. We need to lose weight because we all ate too much before, nothing to shame about.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I eat my stress, does anyone else battle that ?
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I was doing this a lot when I first joined MFP. I found out my goal was too low so I would end up overeating after days of undereating. Based on your ticker you have 81 pounds to lose and are 215+ but your daily calories are only around 1600? I weigh 177, work out for 30 minutes 3 days a week, have a sedentary job and am female and my calories (based on TDEE) are 1620 a day (not eating back exercise calories because TDEE includes that).

How did you determine your calorie goal?

• JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The trick is to figure out WHY you went so far over your calories.

Are you eating too little? Were you eating emotionally? Are you depriving yourself of the things you crave?

I teach my clients to really listen to their bodies and find the WHY behind everything. Sometimes it's as simple as "I just wanted the food more than I wanted to stick to my diet at that moment" and that is a perfectly fine explanation. We're human.

Sometimes the answer is that they had been undereating or overtraining, in which case their programming needs to be addressed.

In your case, whatever the reason, don't freak out over 3000 calories. It's hardly a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.