Fitbit users

Hi all. This is a shoutout to fitbit users. I am comsidering investing in one, but would like some user reviews. Plead would you mind obliging and let me know your experience/view on this?

Replies

• scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    I am a Fitbit Fan. I've had one for over four years now and feel lost without the feedback. My whole family (my five boys and hubs) now have Fitbits, as do the grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. Makes for fun family competitions. I did a blog post about all I love about it ... http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Absolutely get one. I bought a Fitbit Ultra two or three years ago and wear it daily. My fiancee just bought me a Fitbit One to upgrade.
  • I love mine, but I don't sync it to MFP because I don't want my steps to interfere with my calorie goal. It's why I also generally don't track my exercise on MFP. I use it mostly for food tracking and community so far.

I have had a fitbit flex now for a year, and I can count on one hand the amount of days that I haven't worn it. Those times were not because of forgetting it either, usually it's because the battery died. I genuinely enjoy checking my sleep patterns with it as well. It is a great tracking tool if you use the information it gives you, otherwise it's just an extremely expensive pedometer. Hope that helps!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    I've had 4 different fitbits, 2 of the One and 2 of the Flex variety. I liked them ok, the platform is nice, but my experience is that the hardware is trouble-prone (that's why I had two of each). Also, the Flex especially was easy to "spoof." For example, sitting in my office chair with my hand on the armrest and rocking my chair would cause the Flex to count each rock as a step. Also, the calorie estimations didn't seem to be as accurate for me.

I switched from Fitbit to a Garmin Vivofit when they were released a year or so ago. I thought it a more natural fit for me since I'm already deep into the Garmin ecosystem with bike computers and running watches. The Vivofit has been a much nicer device in my opinion. It's more accurate (i.e. harder to spoof. If anything, it counts low which I consider fine) and its calorie calculations are pretty accurate for me based on my counted calorie intake and measured weight loss over a 8 month period. That could just be me though, I'm kind of a "John Q. Average" so maybe I just fit on their data curve better than some will.

That's my 2 cents. Whatever you decide to get I think fitness trackers can be an asset and a motivator. Good luck!
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Best investment I've made. I have a fitbit one. Does what I need it to do without costing too much. Battery lasts long time. It ties in well with MFP. At first I was concerned about logging exercise in on MFP interfering with my fitbit but afterwards I realized that I find it invaluable and time saving to have them tied together. Honestly, I'd recommend the fitbit one before the more expensive ones. The money you save you can treat yourself, say to a new piece of exercise equipment.
  • QuintinVAbrams
    QuintinVAbrams Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you one and all, very positive, so I have now got one and am getting it all set up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Love mine!! It really lets you know if you are doing great or being lazy.. I just upgraded from the Flex to the Charge HR... my mom bought my old Flex and was in love in just 2 days of using it.

They also have amazing Customer Service, if you lose yours and call them, they will send you a new one once they verify you had an active acct with them. My sister in law just had that happen and was very pleased with their Customer Service.. Also LOVE the challenges against friends..
    09076581 Posts: 12 Member
    I purchased my Fitbit last Saturday and I am hooked! Lot this tool. I am chasing my steps all day. I love the challenges I get from my friends. BJ's as it for $97.50 it's the Fitbit plus extra wrist bands. I was on the fence for a year about getting one, best money spent this year.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    my son bought me a flex for christmas and i really enjoy it. i belong to a very active group over there and we do daily challenges. very fun!
  • QuintinVAbrams
    QuintinVAbrams Posts: 16 Member
    A really brilliant device. I have used it just under a week to track everything. Discovered I don't sleep well. But the fitness tracking is good and crediting the extra calories to myfitnesspal is good. Am using my fitness pal as default tracker and one week on....8 lbs off.
  • Fitbit Charge HR here!
    Shame it does not recognize the training I do and equal it to the training I put in MFP.
    So I have to delete everyday an exercise.
    But I love the smartwatch.
    Really.
  • longklaw
    longklaw Posts: 2 Member
    I love my Fitbit One. The problem is that occassionally it'll stop syncing so I have to reinstall the app or restart my device. I just ordered a charge HR but it's back ordered
  • herculzjo
    herculzjo Posts: 251 Member
    Love my fitbit. I would be lost without it. :)
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    I have had a flex since November. I am very goal oriented, so I want to see those red lines under my goals turn green. I will go outside and walk at night, until they do. So its a very good motivator for me. I have a goal of biking 10 miles a day and walking 5 miles a day. I've had to figure out how to accurately get the five walking miles because it counts part of the 10 biking miles into my walking miles. After a while, I figured out that it adds 1 mile to my walking miles for 10 miles of biking. So I make sure it goes to 6 miles each day, to get an accurate 5 miles in. It will occasionally think I'm tracking my sleep when I'm biking because the vibration of the handlebars throws it into sleep mode. But overall, once I've figured out the glitches, I like it. But I will probably get the new one coming out that has the heart rate monitor on it because I believe that will give you a more accurate calorie burn based on heart rate.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Don't get the flex if you are looking for accuracy... I have had mine for two weeks now and for the first few days I really fixated on how I would walk on the treadmill for three miles and it would only register like two of those three. I DO find it motivational and if I see that my step count is low I get up and do laps around my building at work or park farther away at the store. So even though it is inaccurate it does make me move more.

Next summer when I go and do all of my hiking I will buy something more accurate but for now the Fitbit Flex does at least get up during the day more.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    I just invested in a Fitbe flex, and I am having trouble getting it set up on my computer. It seems there is something preventing my download that is part of my computer, and it was suggested I just put it on my cell phone. I am taking both my Fitbit device and my phone over to my carrier next week to get some instruction on what to do. I can't even seem to get any life out of the thing yet.