Best way to measure food

Options
What would you say is a good way to measure food without any of the typical measurement tools?

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    without any measuring tools? you can not accurately measure food.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    There isn't. A food scale is the best way especially if you have one that will weigh liquids (mine does fl. oz. and mL). Otherwise you'll have human error to contend with.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to try without measuring tools? Measure for real and know what you're doing, or do not measure and risk fooling yourself. Those seem to be your only choices.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You weigh food, with a scale. This thread just has me imagining someone tape-measuring a turkey. Can't erase that image now.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    You weigh food, with a scale. This thread just has me imagining someone tape-measuring a turkey. Can't erase that image now.

LMAO thank you for putting that image in my head....

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Weigh the food.
  • jadumz
    jadumz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing she means if she's out...? You guys are so awkward!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Is that like keeping a ruler on the night stand so to know how long you sleep? :\
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I can't say what situation the OP is in, but for some of us it's not as easy as using a scale. I'm in the Navy, attached to a ship, out to sea for months at a time. I eat all my meals like you would in a cafeteria. I can't cook my own food and measure the ingredients. Everything I get is already mixed/prepared/cooked/etc.

OP, figuring out how to estimate/measure food without traditional tools is something I struggle with too. If I figure out a good way, I'll let you know. Thankfully I have a friend on here who I have look at what I log and we try to come up with the most accurate count possible between the two of us. We're both trying to lose weight, so we tend to pick the same choices. Before I was stationed on this ship, I used to use measuring cups a lot, so I think I have a better idea of what a cup is than I used to, but I'm sure I still make lots of mistakes. I try to "round up" if I'm not sure - that way I'm less likely to be underestimating. I'm sure I still am at times though.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can't say what situation the OP is in, but for some of us it's not as easy as using a scale.

That's a good point!

I did a quick google search and these two look like good charts to reference. I'm sure you can look up others if you don't like them, or search "portion size/s for _____"

healthyeating.org/Portals/0/Documents/Schools/Parent%20Ed/Portion_Sizes_Serving_Chart.pdf
    iweightloss.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/size-it-right1.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    jadumz wrote: »
    I'm guessing she means if she's out...? You guys are so awkward!

You are assuming.

That's awkward.
  • dbmata
    Options

Is that like keeping a ruler on the night stand so to know how long you sleep? :\

not for sleep... heh.
  • w0den
    w0den Posts: 84
    Options
    Deck of cards= 3 oz of meat
    Tennis ball= one cup of grains
    Baseball= 1/2 cups of veggies
    6 dice= one oz of cheese
    Checkbook= 3 oz fish fillet
    Tip of the thumb= 1 tsp