Getting veges in with V8?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone had experience with drinking these vegetable drinks and if they taste okay etc because I was wondering if they would be a healthy easy way of getting to 5+ a day

Replies

• maggiemay1009
    maggiemay1009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The drinks taste pretty good but they have a relatively high amount of sugar in them. While they probably are the easier way to get +5 it may be healthier to eat regular veggies.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Enjoy.
    It is equivalent to two servings of vegetables: http://www.livestrong.com/article/497684-does-v8-count-as-a-serving-of-vegetables/
  • 00_Staarling
    00_Staarling Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Enjoy.
    It is equivalent to two servings of vegetables: http://www.livestrong.com/article/497684-does-v8-count-as-a-serving-of-vegetables/
    The drinks taste pretty good but they have a relatively high amount of sugar in them. While they probably are the easier way to get +5 it may be healthier to eat regular veggies.

Hmm thanks for these comments. I might just try to eat more vegetable soup instead since I don't think the brand I eat has added sugar in it and then I'll get more fibre in too.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The original V8 is fairly low in sugar and I think they are tasty. Basically they taste like tomato juice. I wouldn't use them to replace veggies but it could be a good addition to your diet. I use it a lot in soup. Any of the juices with fruit are high in sugar and the Splash variety has high fructose corn syrup, if that's something you watch.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Chewing and fiber helps satiety. V8 (or other juice) doesn't.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    it wont hurt you and is in no way bad for you but I don't know if you would get as much of a nutritional value because of the V8 processing many of the nutrients from the veggies might have been destroyed during the processing!?? If you like it drink it but I wouldn't rely on it as a source of veggies alone!
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    As an occasional way to get more veggies in they are fine. I keep the low sodium variety in the fridge.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Shameful secret:

I don't much care for fruits and vegetables with rare exceptions, so I get most of my vitamins from low-sodium V8 and most of my fiber from nuts, beans and grains.

Don't judge me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Shameful secret:

I don't much care for fruits and vegetables with rare exceptions, so I get most of my vitamins from low-sodium V8 and most of my fiber from nuts, beans and grains.

Don't judge me.

No judgement here. Get it anyway you can :smile:

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the taste of V8... I did try the one mixed with fruit... I was delicious, but too expensive for me.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from the full sodium ones, but that's only because I am the reigning queen of fluid retention, and sodium just makes it worse. But if you like them, go for it.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have to contest the poster who said it tasted like tomato juice. It does, kind of (and V8 sells a strictly tomato juice as well), but there is a pretty strong celery flavor in there as well. Plus a hint of carrot. I love V8, but I can very rarely drink it. My stomach can't handle all the acid :(

ETA: They've also released a new line of juice blends- similar to the Fusion(?), but all veggies, no fruit. There's Carrot Mango (haven't tried), Golden Goodness (hated it), Green . . . . something (only okay), and Purple Power (best of the bunch). They all have different vegetable blends than the original, if that flavor doesn't appeal to you.
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Shameful secret:

Don't judge me.

Hey you're way ahead of most people....

Maybe I can get my fiance into V8, he HATES 95% of vegetables and I have to bribe him to eat them every week.

I like V8 (the sodium makes it extra delicious) and used to drink them every so often. I'm actually wondering now if they might be a good option to pack in my lunch because I need things that don't require refrigeration. How expensive are they again?