Need some tips from those who lost weight!

Options
I've started logging calories one month ago. So far i'm good about 4 days a week but i'm improving. I've used mfp 3 times in the past and about 3 months in I lose hope and give up because I haven't lost weight. In your experience, does it take a while before you get results? I only need to lose 15-20 pounds to get back to my healthy weight if that gives an idea of where I'm at.

Replies

• hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're logging calories, that's good. But are you staying in a calorie deficit, say about 500 calories below your maintenance requirements?
  • danigrl8
    danigrl8 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, on most days. I also adjusted my calories because it was only at 1300 a day for me, which is really difficult. So I'm at 1590.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    On most days? And on the days your aren't under are you over by heaps?

Are you under or over if you look at the week in total.

For me I think I saw weight loss fairly fast. But I'm not sure because my scales didn't go up high enough
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    With so little weight to lose, weighing your food with a digital scale and staying within the calorie deficit over the whole week is essential. You can easily wipe out the whole week's deficit being over a few days a week if your deficit is low, and it should be set to lose about .5 lb per week since you only have 20 lbs or so to lose.

Tighten up logging and stick with it and you'll see results. :D

Edited because i can't read my own posts :p
  • danigrl8
    Options
    If I go over in a day it's only by about 200 calories.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You have to weigh your food or you really don't know how many calories you're eating. What will keep you motivated is if you start dropping pounds, and the only way that will happen is if you are in a deficit.

Pokes ticker slogan below: If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!

1209329.png
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    what does "good" mean? Is that re: food choice? Staying within calories?

If you don't lose weight 3 months in it's because you are eating more than you realize. Weigh your solids, measure your liquids, and eat to your goal +/- 50 calories every day. eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. Use the appropriate activity level. Lower cals by 100 if you are not seeing results in a month.
  • its_annabelle
    its_annabelle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is unfortunately not always a kind beast, especially for those of us already pretty close to our goal weight. I suggest being super stringent with how you actually account for your food; remember if you get sneaky, and let a few calories go by unaccounted for, the only person it affects is you.

I personally don't pay attention much to my macros other than generally aiming for less carbs and more protein (not strict at all), but others do and it can really make a difference.

Make sure you are drinking enough water.

Try to get active at least few times a week if possible for 30 minutes at a time. It can make a difference.
  • danigrl8
    Options
    Thanks, these are all really helpful tips. I got a food scale and getting used to using it consistently. I forgot to mention that i am very active. I play soccer twice a week and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Being active has never been a problem for me. My need to get control of my eating.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have the activity down. As everyone else said, be consistent in your logging. It helps me to menu plan for the week. I eat most at dinner so I base the rest of my day around that. I usually only leave snacks off for the week and add them when I have them. By having my meals already entered I know what I can have. I also try to bank calories for the week so I can still enjoy eating out or a good dessert once in awhile or to make up on lifting days since the burn is less than my cardio days. If you commit, you will see results.