Has anyone gained weight from doxycycline (or another antibiotic)?

Options
Hey, everyone!

I just wanted to ask you guys about an issue I think I'm dealing with.

In 2013, I lost 38lbs. Yay! But between May of 2014 until now, I've gained almost 50lbs. My exercise habits didn't change. My diet didn't change too much. I was gaining so much weight so fast. I didn't know what to do. I felt (and still do) feel helpless. Then I realized only one factor changed: I started taking long-term doxycycline for a skin condition. I'm not one to ever say that medication or a medical condition causes my weight. I've always owned up to the fact that I eat the wrong foods and don't work out. But I was eating better and working out more than I ever have in my life during those months and rapidly gaining weight. The medication was the only thing that changed. It's not a documented side effect, but there is a research study through NIH and a forum online that suggests it does.

I cut out doxy approximately two weeks ago, and I've lost 2lbs. Unfortunately, I'm at the highest weight I've ever been: 282lbs. I'm interested to see if removing it will help me lose this weight.

Anyone else experience weight gain from a long-term antibiotic use?

Replies

• fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Doxy actually made me lose weight...it made me soooo sick, I was throwing up like crazy :(
  • appleg1rl
    appleg1rl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    fatboyliz wrote: »
    Doxy actually made me lose weight...it made me soooo sick, I was throwing up like crazy :(

I didn't puke, but I definitely felt SUPER nauseous all the time with it! I had to take it about an hour or two before bed just so I wouldn't feel nauseous all day long.

Glad you're off it and hope you're feeling better. :)
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I would ask your dr about the weight gain, in case it is the doxy. Doxy is evil!!! But to be fair it did make me better :)
  • denmar803
    denmar803 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah excuse my language but antibiotics gives my the *kitten* lol I hate it ......
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've been on Doxy for more than 2yrs & haven't had any side-effects (that I know of) or noticed it causing weight gain. Would love to know if it does though.
  • westmor
    westmor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low dose anti-biotic since October and have gained back quite a few of the lbs I lost previously. In December I know it was diet, but now you have flagged it up my weight gain started to creep on since October without much change in diet or exercise! Interesting, hadn't considered the link before!
  • isstillarose
    isstillarose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I took high-dose doxy for Lyme disease twice. I know that my doctor said to take a probiotic with Doxy, because it kills a lot of the good gut bacteria that help in food digestion, etc., along with the bad. Could this be a problem? As a hypothyroid patient, I know that stomach issues can really mess with absorption of nutrients, digestion, etc.

I also think that different people react differently to the nausea that doxy can cause -- some "treat" it by not eating at all, but others "treat" it by eating "hangover" foods that are high in fat or carbs to try to settle their stomachs.

On the other hand, maybe your skin condition was caused by something that also made you gain weight and doxy was only treating one of the symptoms? It is hard to sort it out sometimes, so try what feels right and see if it works. I do think doxy is awfully strong, so if there is something else you can do for your skin, maybe that is best. Hope you work it out!
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm on doxy for just a two week course. I'm over a week in and I've noticed I've been significantly more hungry.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My son took it not long ago and I didn't see that he gained any.
  • WeVar
    WeVar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a new member , I was searching for answers on others websites on side effects on Doxy. I was also prescribed this medication for my Rosacea 100 mg twice a day. I have noticed in the last four weeks that I have gained weight and feel bloated. My exercise with teen hasn't changed on my eating habits but it seems that I'm gaining weight and I'm drinking a lot more water. I'm not happy with this weight gain . Don't know if I should stop the meds.!