What to do when you want to eat when bored

Options
Anybody have any tips as to how to not snack when bored? I am finding that I am snacking a bit too much lately especially when I'm home. I just need ideas of what I could do to keep my mind off of food. Advice for daytime and nighttime ideas are all welcome!

Replies

• jennylea70
    jennylea70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I look at the success stories. It helps to see other people who've managed to reach there goals.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hot herbal tea is a good substitute for snacks for me. Sipping gives you something to do while watching tv, plus with this cold winter holding that warm mug just feels good
  • Dominuslive
    Dominuslive Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find myself going to the fridge/pantry when I am bored and not even hungry... I now try to go to the gym when I am bored... It has helped a little, but I still have this problem too. I have replaced most of my carb snacks with high protein or vegetable snacks. So I find myself bored and drinking water or eating peanuts in the shell. (Peanuts in the shell also help you eat less of the snack item as you have to work for it and "fill up" sooner
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Before I eat anything, I ask myself if I'm legitimately hungry. If the answer is no, I stay far away from the kitchen. I also don't keep anything easily accessible for the most part- nothing to open and eat.

If I find myself thinking about food, I do some squats or jumping jacks, come read the forums, paint my nails, etc.

Realizing that you're eating out of boredom is a huge step!
  • w0den
    w0den Posts: 84
    Options
    Anything and everything to distract myself. If not, I'll start to binge. I walk. I breathe. I talk to myself. I find something to busy my hands. I brush my teeth. I drink water. I chew gum. I call a friend. I jump on the forums...
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find something to clean, watch success videos, or groom one of my dogs. Anything to keep my mind occupied.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Don't allow yourself to be bored, no doubt there are plenty of thing you could be doing.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Knit, crochet, paint, take a walk, read, mess with the animals, ect.... I would find something that you enjoy and makes you happy.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth or chew a piece of gum to discourage the craving.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I leave enough calories to snack all night honestly. I have some substitutes that I enjoy (I only eat foods I enjoy!) that are low calorie.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I get busy so that I am not bored....
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    When I watched TV at night I *ALWAYS* munched. I learned to keep my hands busy with something. Puzzles were great in the beginning. I had to partially concentrate and I didn't want to get the puzzle dirty with food fingers.

I also taught myself how to crochet and knit. Same thing, didn't want to get the yarn dirty and it kept my hands too busy to shovel food in my mouth.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sugar. I used to love to have a bag of candy when I was doing nothing.
  • mandamrtz
    mandamrtz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Drink water! Makes you feel full. It works for me everytime.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I hid those foods I would eat (chocolate and pretzels) for a few months. Now I have no desire to do it, and if I want them I weigh a portion out.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Eat celery ! ^_^
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I drink hot herbal tea, too. But mostly what works well for is just not buying the snacks at all. Every once in a while I'd want to binge because I am bored, even though I am well aware of it. I'd go stare at the pantry and not find any snacks. Problem solved!
  • astro_katie
    Options
    At the moment I chew a piece of gum, but I've recently started planing out my main meals so I can have calories left over for snacks. I made a promise though that I would not let my allowance on calories get below 300 though. So once my snacking hits that it's game over for the day.
    I also enjoy distracting myself with reading forums and encouraging other I've friended. I find say 'well done' to them for not over snacking or loosing weight/inches encourages me to stay on the path myself. Add me if you like!
    I also try not to do the things that were previous snack initiators for long or at all of it's a bad day.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    mandamrtz wrote: »
    Drink water! Makes you feel full. It works for me everytime.
    This :)

• Shushonet
    Options
    Drink 2 cups of water.
    If I'm at work a like to take a walk outside, just to get a fresh air and get myself interested with something else