Looking for macronutrtiant advice from vegetarians

Options
Hi I'm a vegetarian and just started using MFP about a month ago. My carbs are always higher than the 50% MFP recommends - today for example, 60%. But since most of my "proteins" are also high in carbs - beans, lentils, tofu, yogurt, etc. - I don't know how to balance this out.
What do you think? Is it important for vegetarians to get carbs down to 50% of diet? Should macronutrients be different for vegetarians? (I do eat dairy and eggs but generally prefer plant protein).

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ignore that. Carbs are going to be high for people eating bean and such.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The macros set automatically are just a general guideline. It's good for vegetarians especially to try to hit or exceed the protein macro, since sometimes we have trouble getting enough protein, but being over or under by a little on them isn't going to make any real difference.

I'm over on carbs pretty much every day. Yum yum yum carby crispy goodness.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    The only macro I pay attention to is protein. I make sure I hit, or exceed that and everything else kind of falls into place. It you make higher protein choices, and stay under your calorie goal, your carbohydrate intake will be less. Well, that's what seems to happen for me anyhow.
    Some days I am over on carbs, I am almost always under on fats, I hit my protein. I'm losing weight just fine.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My carbs hit around 60% most of the time. % of Macros are not a good guide in reality concentrate more on grams. 20% of 1200 calories is totally different to 20 % of 2000 calories. Unless your aiming for certain levels due to a specific activity just get your Protein set at a reasonable level and everything else will be fine as long as you aim for a balanced diet.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I concentrate on hitting a certain protein macro too, and don't worry too much about the others. I seem to end up eating a lot of dairy to make it since cottage cheese and yogurt have a lot of protein per serving. This tends to keep my carbs a bit more moderate. I have my macros set to 45C-30P-25F.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I set my macros to 50% carb, 20% protein, and 30% fat because, with the RDA of protein at 0.8 g/1 kg of weight, 20% came the closest to the 76 grams per day I'm supposed to get. Because I don't want to exacerbate my insulin resistance, I went with 50% carb and 30% fat. I'm at a 15% calorie reduction and I'm consistently losing a pound a week. I can usually keep my eating at or under the 50% carb level without any deprivation because I will willingly go over on fats and this hasn't hampered my weight reduction. Fats for me are usually avocado, nuts, a little bit of butter (my weakness). The important thing is to play with it until you find what works best for you.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    The only reason that monitoring your carbs would come in to play would be if you are diabetic or insulin resistant. And, I believe that even for those folks, the wonderful fiber in sources like beans/legumes/pulses make them less of a concern. Anyone with these medical conditions who knows differently, please correct me.

Vegetarian diets are usually going to be higher in carbohydrate content because plant foods are primarily carbs. As others said, protein is important to watch for, but you're probably fine if you are hitting that. Micro wise, mind B12 and iron...if you are eating whole eggs and dark green things, you're probably fine on those, though.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    The only reason that monitoring your carbs would come in to play would be if you are diabetic or insulin resistant. And, I believe that even for those folks, the wonderful fiber in sources like beans/legumes/pulses make them less of a concern. Anyone with these medical conditions who knows differently, please correct me.

I can't correct you on this, because I'm only knowledgeable about myself but I would add my own thoughts. My experience on this is, when I was heavier and ate meat protein and kept my carbs under 150 per day, my blood sugars were 10 points lower than they are now, having lost 23 pounds and increasing my carbs to 200-250 per day and increasing my exercise. So, I think my body doesn't discriminate between good and bad carbs as much as I would like it to. Ten points higher puts me at the very edge of pre-diabetes/diabetes numbers, but, my trade-off is the higher fiber I'm getting from the vegetarian sources of protein, I hope will lower my cholesterol a bit. I think when you reach my age the body may not respond as it would if I were younger.

I wanted to edit this to add that removing meat from my diet has overwhelmingly helped with my arthritis pain, which is why I've kept with it. When I eat meat, I can barely walk from the pain in my knees, hips, and thighs.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've also been trying recently to focus on increasing my protein percentage (to 35-40%) and don't eat meat (although I do eat fish, which makes it easier!).
    As some other posters have noted, you don't have to stick to the MFP macros if it's not working for you. Personally I find increased protein the best way to reduce cravings and therefore stick to my planned calorie deficit.

I've been hitting my protein target for the past few days and am really pleased about that, but it has required some unusual food mixes! - for example, todays breakfast was:
    - 10g Flax meal, 15g Rice protein powder, 6g peanut butter, 20g cottage cheese and 100g soya yoghurt all mixed together. I thought it was pretty good, but maybe I have weird tastes :P
  • barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everyone, this is so helpful, thanks.