Cutting Carbs Question

Options
Ok...My husband has decided to do low carb until May (for work reasons) and I want to be supportive and do it with him. Now, my questions is, if I cut carbs for the three months and then bump it back up to the 120-150 g that I have been doing, am I going to see a stall in my weight loss or a difference in anything physically? Obviously I have the normal reaction to carbs, too many make me feel sleepy and groggy, I just want to make sure the change won't bring back weight or stall my weight loss. I have family members who say if you cut carbs and then bring them back you will see an accumulation of belly fat, which for someone who is 5'1" is basically a horror story lol. Just looking for advice on the best way to go about it, and what the fluctuation of a couple months low carb then back to normal would be.

Please no comments about how carbs aren't bad, I am aware, and love my carbs, I am doing this strictly to be supportive of my husband and make it easier on him. Thanks!

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbs and you reduce fluid retention. Carbs reintroduced raises fluid retention. What do you think the outcome would be?
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...that's a tough one...could be answer be...increased water retention??

200_zpsa5495f95.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Between 100 - 150g is pretty low carb anyway. How low are you looking to go?

I'm not sure you will see a drastic affect in gained or lost water retention, you may see a couple of pounds in either direction.

As long as you are going to be getting your vits and minerals from fruit and veg then do it. You probably won't notice much difference.

Also will you be swapping up your carb cals for fat cals (this is advisable, there is no need to increase protein, if you are already getting enough).

It's a healthy, give it a go.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    @tennisdude2004 I would only be doing it until May to support my husband while he does it. Generally between 100-150 g I feel satisfied with the carbs I got and don't feel the need to binge, which has been an issue when I was younger (carbs are my gateway food). I am not necessarily a fan of saying goodbye to carbs, but I want to make it easier on the hubs and not shove starches in my mouth while he can't.

I would be swapping out the carbs for fats and proteins, and I wouldn't be limiting my self on fruits and veggies like some low careers do (definitely not that diligent and addicted to baby carrots).

Thanks for the input! I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be a big increase in weight when I increased my carb intake!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yep those baby carrots will get you every time. My vice at the moment is blueberries.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

If you are going to be eating in a calorie deficit, you will be losing weight between now and then.

You may see a few extra pounds come off initially, but after that you will be losing body fat. When you up your carbs those few extra pounds may go back on (but in any given day your body can fluctuate by 4 or 5 lbs, so don't worry).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Other than possibly some water weight fluctuation, which doesn't matter, as long as you keep counting it won't matter how many carbs you eat.