Question about keto diet side effects on women

Options
So, I'm going to apologize in advance for the TMI post that follows this sentence. With that out of the way, I was wondering if anyone had noticed abnormal vaginal bleeding in their first week of being on the keto diet? I understand that the problem could be as a result of a variety of different issues, but I would like to avoid scheduling a doctors appointment and looking like an idiot before ruling this out....

Replies

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Their is a large metabolic shift that occurs during ketosis and this can alter your hormonal balance. Generally it will improve your hormones over time but the initial shift can cause metrorrhagia (abnormal vaginal bleeding). There are a few other things that can cause this too: implant bleeding (newly pregnant?), vaginal cysts, uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, etc. You might even get an initial shift of your cycle. If things do not resolve and you do not wind up on a normal schedule again (it might shift but will become regular again) make sure to visit the doctor because something more serious may be occurring.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks punchgut for the details.
  • hayden_sr
    hayden_sr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! :)
  • weight12345
    weight12345 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hayden..the same occurrence with me when I started. Punchgut is on the money with their answer.
  • SheEagle
    SheEagle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there Hayden. I was on keto for almost a year(for gut health, not weight loss). A few months in, my period became irregular (bleeding light twice a month) and then altogether stopped. I hadnt had it for almost 7 months and decided to see my doctor. They ran a blood test and the result showed normal hormone levels ECCEPT for my T4 hormones. My thyroid had become borderline low. Through some research, I read about how keto can negatively impact hormones in women (especially ones who exercise regularly). I also found I was simply not eating nearly enough for my weight and activity level. I use myfitness pal to make sure I eat enough for the day. I still eat lower carb..I've just added more berries and some potatoes to my diet...more around 100 carbs a day or more. Haven't had my period yet, but I am feeling much better. Hope this helps!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If you're having vaginal bleeding and it's not your time of the month, that alone should be a reason to make the appointment, not asking people on the internet.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Is there a big drop in calorie consumption too, or any other changes alongside this like exercising more? How old are you OP?
  • hayden_sr
    hayden_sr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 years old. I was always pretty good about keeping it between 1200-1400 calories a day and staying under 80g of carbs per day. I cut back to 32g of carbs a day when I started a 6 week kettlebell program. At the time the issue presented, I was in week 2 of the program.

Hopefully, it seems to have leveled out. If not, I'll definitely ask that they check my thyroid and adjust my diet if necessary. Thanks for the helpful information, everyone! ☺️
  • jennlaw89
    jennlaw89 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know this post is old but I have the same problem and I saw my doctor. There's nothing wrong with me and no I'm not pregnant and don't have an iud. It's called DUB or dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Your body's fat stores estrogen and when you lose weight your estrogen level drops which can cause irregular bleeding. In my case I lost 30lbs in a short period of time and my weight continues to drop so unfortunately I've been bleeding a lot but once my weight loss slows or plateaus the irregular bleeding should stop.
  • jennlaw89
    jennlaw89 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I however am not on the keto diet.. Just counting calories and exercising..
  • Kriv819
    Kriv819 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started changing my diet to keto. It's been only 5 days and this happened to me as well. Completely unexpected spotting, which is not normal for me. The absence of other symptoms, and the fact that I am two weeks past my last cycle are the only reason I didn't consider this an early period.
    My diet has been the most drastic change, so I knew it had to be related.
    My carbs have been under 50g (as recommended per program I'm following).
    Calorie intake is adequate for my weight and activity-
    Other than this event, I have been feeling really good! I have been testing my blood sugar as well- it has been relatively low- Yesterday it was 75 at two hours post meal, and tonight 83 two hours post meal.

I suppose I will make appointment to check thyroid hormones, since this is not the first time I am hearing that this can be affected.

Thank you for sharing. Gives me some peace of mind.