Help! Falling off the wagon

Options
Hi All!

I'm reaching out to the MFP community, because there are so many inspirational stories out there, and so many people who have done an amazing job on their journeys! Unfortunately, I find myself floundering... I was doing pretty well calorie-wise up until last week. I haven't had access to a scale as I've been house-sitting, but weighed myself when I stopped by my house on Thursday, only to find out I've GAINED weight. That really threw me since I felt like I'd been really, really careful with what I ate, and was generally right at or just around my calorie goals. I haven't been working out a lot, because that revs up my appetite so much. Anyway, this past weekend I basically gave up and gorged myself on chocolate, white breads, cheese, and churros.

I guess what I'm looking for are shared stories of getting through the rough patches and maintaining your motivation and momentum. I've really been struggling with hunger, even though I try not to let myself get hungry, and I've been trying to load up on veggies and protein.

Anyway, feel free to friend me!:tongue:

Replies

• ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    bump! i wana hear these stories too!
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    I know how you feel and I've given up countless times that way. But what I found out works for me is... I just shrug it off and keep going. I no longer give myself a time limit on how fast I'm suppose to be losing weight. Just take it a day at a time. Just drink lots of water, keep eating healthy and keep exercising. Everyone on here will give you the support to keep going. =)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I did it just 2 days ago wanted to eat all day and i did :(
    i just started right back the next morning, keep going
    there will be detours but get right back on track
  • vipetals
    vipetals Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's ok. It's not about perfection, it's about progress- this mantra has served me well. When you fall off the band wagon it just side tracks you. But don't let it ruin your fitness journey. You weighed yourself and you took stock of what you didn't and didn't do. Learn from it, make adjustments and move on.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    Well, isn't that the first step of realizing that you need to do something different? Yes! Don't worry! You have realized that you are falling off of the wagon, you haven't completely hit the ground yet! So, get back up and dust yourself off. Don't feel guilty or over burdened regarding the few pounds you have gained back. Just put that activity back in to your life, move around some more, cardio, walking, jogging in place, walking in place, jump in jacks, eat more fiber rich foods, they help you stay full longer, eat every few hours to keep your body burning calories.

I am learning that it is okay. The hardest thing for me all of those OTHER times, falling off the wagon when I saw that extra pound on the scale or because I ate a chip. I am more forgiving now and I feel great about where I am going!

So, today, determine to pull yourself up, brace yourself on that wagon and keep those wheels moving forward! you can do this!!!

(((Huggggzzz)))
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wanna hear the stories too. I've been doing pretty good but my weight goes up and down between 4lbs a lot. I don't know why. :/
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I went to ladies night, I normally do really good but I ate a bunch of grains (which I don't eat) Not good, the next week for weigh in I was up like 3lbs. I just hydrated and flushed and felt much better
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. We had Spring Break a couple of weeks ago and on vacation, it's so hard to track calories. I'd try to approximate, but just get frustrated. For example, we were at the mercy of a friend's planned schedule for us, and there was no food available for about six hours. Another day, the only thing to eat was cheese and crackers. Then, when we finally had dinner, I overate with the idea that I didn't know when my next meal would be. This is absurd and a little dramatic, but I'm used to tracking everything.Needless to say, when I returned to my routine last week, it was a shocker. I was always hungry and didn't feel like doing anything. Pants were tighter, enough said.

SO...I just jumped back into my routine because it worked for me. It helps to have good support (my fiance loves MFP because it keeps me sane), but also know that one or two pounds does not make your entire journey a failure. I was frustrated and didn't feel as strong, but worked through it because I knew that I could get to my "best" again.

Don't give up. Accept that sometimes you can't track, or the scale is higher than it was last weigh-in, but know that tomorrow is always another day. Feel free to message/friend for support!

Added: Drink lots of water. Even when I know that I can't totally control what I'm eating, I know that I can always drink a LOT of water with lemon. That always makes me feel better.
  • deb1jim
    deb1jim Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I just joined; however have lost about 25 pounds with a trainer and have hit a plateau so I'm trying to count calories and protein grams now. Still have 50 pounds to lose.... So let's go.... We just got off a cruise and I gained 10 pound- Yeah that's right - white breads, butter, carbs, pizza.... uggg but thank goodness 6 pounds came off last week so I guess it wasn't a real 10 pound gain... Amen! So we all have bumps in the road - Just get back on track. Let's keep in touch! You're not alone.... You can do this and misery loves company!
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    Well I can only say from personal experience ...like last week when I fell off the wagon big time! I deleted all my friends & hated myself so I started eating COOKIES for breakfast then lunch..I didn't want to talk to anyone...total depression because I fell off the wagon But then 2 or 3 really good MFP friends kept telling me I COULD DO IT! And it really meant a lot to me

Now I've gotton rid of the sugar & started eating better snacks & got back on the elliptical & counted my calories....That's all you have to do. It's the Mind that needs a good Kick In The #@& so I'm telling you to forgive yourself today & tomorrow morning get back on the Wagon & listen & read what your friends are doing on this site!:flowerforyou:

You can befriend me & I'll help the best I can but really no time like the present. Don't eat sugar...once you taste it you can't stop...it's seriously a Drug!:noway:

YOU CAN DO THIS:drinker: :heart: :wink:
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Personally, working out makes me feel better. I am doing INSANITY and I burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. For example, today I burned 621 calories in 40 minutes. After doing such an intense workout I am usually pretty hungry...I have to say I think that is pretty normal..I think if you are hungry, obviously your body needs the food!

I don't think you should hold food from yourself but do what you are doing eat protein, fruits, veggies etc. I think it is important to listen to your body.

I have been athletic all my life so working out is "normal" to me. That being said, I have absolutely fell off the workout/eating healthy wagon. It is SO easy to stop working out and SO SO SO hard to START working out again, but once I have started working out after a "break" I always feel SO much better! Honestly, there are days (like yesterday) where I just don't feel like working out but after every time, I am so glad that I did!

I hope this helps!! You aren't falling off the wagon, you just had a rest stop! :wink:
  • sherrik10
    sherrik10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had many setbacks too. I just try to remember this is a lifestyle change not a diet and you can't do this overnight. If you "fall off of the wagon" (like I and many others have) don't forget that tomorrow is another day. If you mess up in the morning try to make better choice the rest of the day. DO NOT beat yourself up! You can do this...one day at a time.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on December 2nd, 2010. I had lost about 33 pounds, but since April 15th I have gained about 5 of those back. I am really struggling with wanting to eat all the time to right now,but I am not going to give up with all the great support on here I am going to get through this and you will, too!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of falling off, as I have been doing that lately as well, especially since I had surgery on my hand and used it as an excuse to not workout. I have been working out a little here and there and trying to get on my diet, but I kept falling into the temptations of sweets that we popping up around me. So, basically, I am just trying to shrug it off, take it day by day, and REALLY rely on my support community. It really helps when my friends around me are exercising and watching their diets as well, and so I find myself communicating with them more frequently to help me get back on track. I just try to be very conscience of the foods I am putting in my mouth, logging my foods, and focus on getting a workout in 5 times a week (I need 5 days personally to feel accomplished).

But first and fore-most, just take a deep breath and try not to feel guilty. I tell myself "I've been at X weight before I gained this weight, I can DEFINITELY get there again--just gotta get Focused". And also, try to find a new motivator--like I'll be attending a wedding in June, so that's my motivation for May. In June, my motivation will be my swimsuit or whatever vacation I might be taking in July, etc. Make a reward system: If I workout 5 days a week, for at least 30 minutes, and stick to my diet 6 days a week for a month, I'll reward myself with a massage... or something of the like.

I hope that helps! Community, motivators, rid yourself of any guilt and just focus by taking it 1 day at a time!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Ugh I totally feel your pain. I found that friending a lot of poeple and using the forums as motivation (HUGE MOTIVATION) helps with how I see it. When I stopped using MFP, I gained back the progress I had made. Now, back to square one :( Good luck with everything! *Friending for 2-way motivation*

My motivation = my wedding in 1 yr :-O
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    First of all you will be OK.You need to stay focused on your goals and hold your self accountable for everything you put in your mouth,same goes for exercise. You have to at least get outside and walk 30-60 min a day. We have all joined MFP because we all want to change our life style and live a healthier life.Everyone on this site has had bad days but the majority are good.Why because you have so much support and motivation everywhere you turn. Yes most of us want to eat the chocolate and the burgers-pizza,I miss my wife making homemade popcorn with butter and salt,But when I get on the scale and I see I've lost 2lbs that week it makes it all better.So don't be-discouraged take it one day at a time you can do it.We are all here for you!!:happy:
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really feel for those having a bad time. I do think you have to try not to be de-motivated by a 4 or 5 pound gain. Heck it's possible to register those gains just with differences of stomach fill, hydration etc. That's why it SEEMS even though you stuck to your regime that you seemed to gain weight. I've found that suddenly a couple of days later you will drop all the apparently gained weight quite suddenly over a day or so.
    Just one thing really works for me. I look at what calories I have available and I know I have to get the most effective food out of it. A damned biscuit (or cookies as you call them) really whacks the calorie count around and the personal reward of eating it is very transient.
    Keep visualising in your mind the person you are wanting to be!
    Good luck and keep at it people. It's great we are all on this site doing things to help ourselves and each other. It sure helps!
  • froggie4u
    froggie4u Posts: 2
    Options
    There is a lot of good advise from people out here. Just pull up your boot straps and move forward. To gain a few is Ok, but remembering why we started this journey is the key. We all started this for our own reasons, mine was to be healither for me to live a long and loving relationship with my partner. So If I can do this you can too. Friend me.. I will be supportive for you.. Good Luck
  • gingembre1
    gingembre1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and support. It really helps to know that others have struggled with falling off the wagon as well - I particularly struggle with those pesky sweets! Thank you to everyone for the friend requests, and I hope I can pay it forward by supporting others in their own journeys.
  • mjersh
    mjersh Posts: 46
    Options
    I could of written your post! I feel the same way! I have not been to the gym for a week and just ate and ate over the weekend. Today I am going for a 30 minute walk!! I have to.. I hope you will do the same! One step at a time, one day at a time. You are still on the wagon.. stay on!!