I'm stealing my mother's crock pot/slow cooker

Options
KickassYas
KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
ok so I've decided to steal my mother's old crock pot. she doesn't use it and i can definitely use it! sooo anyone got any great recipes low cal, low fat and definitely low sodium!?!?!?!

lay it on me! :D

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Lots in the Reciepe section under either Slow Cooker or Crock Pot, may be a few pages back.
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    Me too. I'm not stealing a crock pot, but would like some recipes too.

Something I like to cook in the crock is chicken stew.

put in some chicken breasts, carrots, potatoes, onions and chicken broth. When the chicken is cooked, pull it apart with a fork in the **** pot, cook more, and when the potatoes are soft... serve the stew in a bowl with a spoon. It's easy and yummy.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot! I make all sorts of things in it. I'll try to put together some of my recipes to share.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    toss a bunch of veggies in. things like peppers, canned tomatoes, spices, onions, etc. Add in some bone-in chicken (skinless), thighs or breasts. cook for a few hours...

the chicken will fall off and be very tender and tastey.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
  • lilemc2005
    lilemc2005 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com. they have lots of recipes that can be tweaked. My favorite is turkey chili.
  • KickassYas
    Options
    ooohhh i'm soo excited! :D thanks lovelies! :D i'll most likely do a search later but i thought it would be a nice jump on conversation for the love of the crock pot! :D
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to do this, how'd it turn out?
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    GREAT!!!!! I love the crockpot because I throw everything in it before I leave for work, and when I get home dinner is ready! couple of tips: put veggies (carrots and potatoes mainly) at the bottom because they take longer to cook, then meat on top. I've even put chicken in there frozen and didn't have a problem, so dinner is even easier (no need to remember to defrost!). I'll go through my recipes and send you what I find.
  • KickassYas
    Options
    GREAT!!!!! I love the crockpot because I throw everything in it before I leave for work, and when I get home dinner is ready! couple of tips: put veggies (carrots and potatoes mainly) at the bottom because they take longer to cook, then meat on top. I've even put chicken in there frozen and didn't have a problem, so dinner is even easier (no need to remember to defrost!). I'll go through my recipes and send you what I find.

girl i know you got some goodies in there somwhere :p i've seen your diary and you always got something good! :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    We make lots of casseroles and soups in the crockpot.
    It's a great way to cook cheaper cuts of meat so they come out tender and tasty. I suggest find a recipe you like and tweak it - look for low salt versions of the ingredients (like tinned tomatoes for example). Adding a can of beans or chickpeas or lentils (drained and rinsed) gives extra nutrition and fibre. And I usually add extra veggies like zucchini, capsicum, green beans etc for the last 20 mins or so of cooking time so they don't go mushy.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite slow cooker meals is Pulled Pork Sandwiches. One pork roast allowed to slow cook a few hours, covered with water. Drain off fat and excess water. When the roast is done it will litterally fall apart. Pull the pork apart (if it is a little tough cut with a knife), return to crockpot, pour Famous Daves over the pork, and allow to heat through. The longer you are able to let the sauce cook in to the pork the better. This freezes nicely .... if there is any left. :flowerforyou:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Moistest chicken EVER in the crockpot.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the shape of a triangle /_\ in the bottom. Cover with all your favorite frozen veggies and enough of your favorite soup to just barely cover it all. Cover and set to high for 30 minutes, then drop to low (not warm) for 7-8 hours. It will be ready when you get home. I cook up a batch of red split lentils, portion out a chicken breast and veggies and pour the sauce over top. Sprinkle with a little parm and, voila, delish dish.

You'll have to tweak any salt or spices you add to your taste. Start slow with spices, as some intensify in the slow cooker.

Save anything you want to remain crunchy for adding last. I like to carmellize shallots and fresh garlic for the top. :)

V8 is really good, too, in place of any soups.

You can slice the chicken in half, but not all the way through, like a pocket and stuff it with ham and a little cheese and chopped bacon for a chicken cordon bleu type deal. I like to use a cheddar soup and add sun-dried tomatoes to that mix and pour it over noodles.

Anyway, hope this gets your gears turning on some ideas. Enjoy the slow-cooker! :D
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    Very Very Veggie Stew..1 cup 100 calories, 1 g fat, 296mg sodium, 20 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 7g sugar 4 g protein

Ingredients:
    1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 eggplant, peeled and cut int 1/2 inches cubes
    2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini
    1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup butternut squash
    1 tomato, coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 cups fat-free vegetable broth
    one 6 oz tomato paste
    1 tablesppon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon evoo
    1 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/3 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    /8 tsp ground giner
    1 no alorie sweetener packet

Directions:
    Place chickpeas and all veggies in the crock pot
    In a bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, garlic,evoobasil, cinnamon, salt, paprika, ginger and sweetner. Mix well and por evenly over the contents of the crock pot...Gently stir and allow the sauce to coat the veggies.

Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours . Makes 8 servings.

Crock Pot Coq au vin: sound fancy and hard but easy and good!
    1 cup 202 calories, 3g fat, 330 mg sodium 9 g carbs, 1.25 g sugars, 29 g protein.

Ingridients
    4 slices center cut bacon or turky bacon
    1 cup f/f low sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup red wine
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
    2 sprigs thyme, chopped
    1 1/2 pounds raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast tender
    1/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
    1/4 tsp blk pepper, or more to taste
    2 cups sliced mushrooms ( don't like 'em...don't add em)
    1 1/2 cups baby carrots
    1 1/2 cups sliced onion

Directions:
    Prepare bacon on the stove in a skillet . Once cooled enuf to handle crumble or chop, set aside
    combine broth wine cornstarch, garlic and thyme in the crock pot. Stir until completely mixed. Season chicken with salt and pepper and then add it to the pot. Add bacon and veggies and stir. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low 7 to 8 hours until chicken in cooked thoroughly

Stir well and if you like season to taste with addn'l salt and pepper if needed.

Pulled pork
    2/3 cup 220 calories 6 g fat, 637 mg sodium 16 g carbs, 1g fiber, 12g sugar, 24 g protein

ingredients:
    1 cup canned tomato sauce
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tbsp plus tsp brown sugar( not packed)
    2 tbsp plus 2 tsp cider vinegar
    2 tsp garlic poweder
    12 oZ raw lean bonesless pork tenderloin
    12 oz. raw bonessless pork should
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    2 cups sliced onion, cut into 2 inch strips
    optional : crushed red peper

Directions:
    place tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, garlic powder in crock poot. Stir until ,ixed. Season both types of pork with salt and pepper and addpork to crock pot. Top with onion and gently stir. Cover and cook on high for 3 -4 hours or 7 -8 on low.

Remove all the pork and place in a bowl. Shred eachpiece using two forks one to hold pork in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it.

Return the shredded pork to the pot and ,ix well with the sauce.

Serves 6 servings!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    The taste is fine. I just would've preferred it a bit thicker. There are tricks to doing that (straining with a cheesecloth) if you don't mind wasting some of the stuff...which I do. lol
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    We like to do Mexican pork roast. Throw in a pork loin and add a bit of water or broth to the bottom of the pocket. Sprinkle generously with Adobo seasoning (I think there are low sodium versions) and then squeeze two limes over the roast. Cook on low all day. Serve with tortillas, & fajita type fixings.
  • KickassYas
    Options
    Moistest chicken EVER in the crockpot.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the shape of a triangle /_\ in the bottom. Cover with all your favorite frozen veggies and enough of your favorite soup to just barely cover it all. Cover and set to high for 30 minutes, then drop to low (not warm) for 7-8 hours. It will be ready when you get home. I cook up a batch of red split lentils, portion out a chicken breast and veggies and pour the sauce over top. Sprinkle with a little parm and, voila, delish dish.

You'll have to tweak any salt or spices you add to your taste. Start slow with spices, as some intensify in the slow cooker.

Save anything you want to remain crunchy for adding last. I like to carmellize shallots and fresh garlic for the top. :)

V8 is really good, too, in place of any soups.

You can slice the chicken in half, but not all the way through, like a pocket and stuff it with ham and a little cheese and chopped bacon for a chicken cordon bleu type deal. I like to use a cheddar soup and add sun-dried tomatoes to that mix and pour it over noodles.

Anyway, hope this gets your gears turning on some ideas. Enjoy the slow-cooker! :D

holy crap that sounds delicious!!! this is gonna be a blast.
  • doitday
    doitday Posts: 59
    Options

Keep up the good work....love the link!
  • doitday
    doitday Posts: 59
    Options
    I have a crock pot as well, but I’m afraid to cook in it. I use it for chill (that’s all) =/
    My main concern is how to prepare poultry, meat, and fish (frozen). Example: chicken, what's the safest way to prepare it? I buy frozen chicken tenderloins from Costco...would I defrost them first, or leave them froze? What if they weren’t frozen?
  • KickassYas
    Options
    those are really good question

but even more importantly

I FORGOT THE DAMNED CROCKPOT AT MY MOM'S HOUSE!!!

*cries*

i'm a dunce.