No motivation, but hate the way I feel & look. So depressed!

Options
I'm a working mom, full time in a very demanding job with 3 kids and maintain my household n husband. Every1, comes to me; I don't have any1 to lean on for my needs. I'm depressed- husband doesn't understand n doesn't seem to care anyways. Trying to get motivated but everyday find myself eating, "one last time" food that is making me fat & depressed. Why can't I stop myself from this vicious cycle n get motivated on my own. I'm strong enough to help everyone else. Why can't I help myself?

Replies

• librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have felt this way. Not being able to get off the bad eating habits routine, feeling like you're in a hamster wheel. You are strong, but you haven't made yourself a priority. You can delegate some things to your husband and make time for yourself. How old are your children? Are they things they can do to help? Are there bad foods in the pantry?
  • Evigil1976
    Options
    I've tried the cleaning out of pantries. More fruits, no dairy, we do almond or soy. It's the carbs I'm addicted to. A sweet tooth after eating lunch or dinner. It's like a drug- I crave it intensly. I have a 14, 10 & 9. Husband doesn't help much as he has a 120 total mile commute for wk. when he's home, he's beat. I have dinner started n am helping kids w homework etc... When he's getting home n ready to shower. My kids r old enough to do most things themself. I just don't make time for me. I can't stop eating bad- it makes me feel so good for that moment I'm eating it.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As someone who comfort ate for depression and wound up nearly 400 pounds because of the inexcusable habits, my advice is take some serious effort and work on your self discipline. It takes a couple weeks and is hard to get a grip on, but I went from eating *kitten* food daily, to haven't not touched any kind of junk food in over 2 months, and at this point, it's no longer even an issue. If I can do it, I know anyone can do it. I had given up on life and was at the lowest of low at this point in my life, if I somehow turned it around, I know anybody can. It's all about how bad you want it. Best of luck!
  • Evigil1976
    Options
    Thank you Browns baker forever, it is about discipline. I don't know how. I will try setting small goals 1st, as I tend to be an all or nothing mentality person.
  • kreatingkarroll
    Options
    It's definitely hard work, but you can do it! I take pictures of the healthy meals I make and share them to my social media accounts. It makes me feel proud to show off that I'm making healthy choices and motivates me when I get positive feedback! Try healthy substitutes. I am a carb lover to the max. I eat veggie "noodles" or this stuff called Pasta Zero for my pasta/noodle fix. I am in love with this brand called "flatout" they make wraps and Pitas and they are lower in calories and high in fiber. They are very versatile. I even make low cal healthy pizza on them! My best advise is try to enjoy eating healthy. You forget how good a lot of it tastes and once it becomes a habit, you rarely crave the bad stuff. This calorie counting thing is also pretty cool. It can seem like a pain to weigh and measure everything, but it teaches you how to eat. My brain is wired to get the most bang for my buck, I know that if I want to eat a lot of food, it has to be healthy, and I know how many calories I have left at the end of the day for a snack... If any. If I'm out, I'm out. Don't give up on yourself. You can do it just like so many others have that were in your shoes! The hardest part is starting.
  • stainlessneil
    stainlessneil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If it is making you miserable and unhealthy then the best thing to do is just make the decision that you absolutely have to change. Implement some smart food choices based on the calorie count the app gives you. Don't go cutting out any particular group, you need the right balance of carbs, fats and protein. For protein think chicken, steak, fish and even protein powders. For carbs, rice and pasta are still fine so long as you keep the portion size small. Try and stick to high fibre carbs like whole grain etc. and keep the sugary carbs limited. As for fats, think avocado, peanut butter, olive oil, fish oil etc. Try to limit the saturated fats.

I find it also helps to establish a routine. For example I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday. During the working week, I eat the same thing for my 2 meal breaks at work. I have the same protein shake after the gym. Makes logging a lot easier as once you've added all the components of the meal in once, you can save it as a complete meal. Then you only have to log that one thing every day.

Also, prepare as much food at home as possible. Stay away from restaurants and takeaway for a while until you get the hang of it. Once you start taking positive action you'll feel better already. Then when you start seeing the results of your hard work it will just reinforce those feelings. You can achieve anything, you just have to stick at it!
  • stainlessneil
    stainlessneil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    And tell your husband he has to help out!
  • JoaniesLife
    Options
    I am right there with you, Evigil1976...I am a mom of a 10 year old son. I work full time in addition to taking care of the house, car and yard.. I have a long commute and a stressful job. My husband left when my son was 1 year old. So, all the pressure is entirely on me. My son changed schools this year and went from an honor roll student in lots of activities to barely getting by. This past year has been plagued with accidents, family illnesses and deaths. It is all very overwhelming. But, I am just taking everything a day at a time. I ultimately realized I can't help my family or my son unless I finally take time to care for myself. I vowed to put myself first at least some of the time this year starting with making a very conscious and honest effort to lose weight. I am fed up with being tired all the time. I don't feel well and can't do a lot of the things I used to. For several years I have been very ashamed of how I look. I don't want kids to tease my son for having an overweight mother. There are no photos of me over the last few years, only of my son. But, 2015 is the year of ME. I need to take back my life and take control instead of feeling like the eternal victim. I am reading Dr. David Perlmutter's book Grain Brain which has enlightened me. Since January 3, 2015 I have lost 9 pounds. Carbs are my enemy, too. If I eat any carbs (wheat containing), I gain back pounds overnight. But, I try to think of it as a clean slate every day and another chance to get it right instead of beating myself up like I have in the past. Logging my food and exercise on this site has been such a motivator and a way to keep a close eye on what I eat and then see what works and what doesn't. I was surprised that a high protein and fat (hopefully good fat) diet has almost melted the pounds off and I don't feel hungry. I have a very long way to go, but I will be right here struggling along with you, so you are not alone. WE can do this!
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Please, start now while you are still active. I waited too long, and now my knees and hips are shot, I have heart and kidney disease, and even more health issues. I can't drive any more. I haven't been to the grocery store in over two years. And now I'm literally going to die if I don't lose some weight. I would give every single thing I own, if I had done this years ago. Now I am 60 yrs old, can barely walk with a walker, and sit in a lift chair all day with my feet up so edema won't rise it's ugly head. I used to do everything for everyone, and now I'm home bound with hardly any visitors. It's a very depressing situation. You will feel so good once you get started! I raised 4 boys to adulthood, and a husband too. Now he's left me after38 years together. I never expected that!! He lost 100+#, and had eyes for someone else. So I'm finally doing this for ME!! And you can, too. Just set up your profile, and give it a try. You'll meet lots of great people, and be encouraged on your journey. You can still eat what you LIKE, just not tons of it! Today I had Chick Fil A chicken! Yum! You will learn how much to eat from each nutritional group. It's amazing, fats are not the enemy...it's carbs that are our nemesis!My son has lost over 100 pounds eating high-fat high-protein low-carb's. Now he trail runs and loves it. He's going to do a 30 mile run this spring. So there are so many benefits to making this decision!
    I would encourage you to join us, as we journey to a happier, healthier "us"!!! We would lov
  • Alicia_1981
    Alicia_1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs help sometimes. This is a fantastic community for that. If yoyr ready to commit to this then PLEASE let us help as we've all felt that way at least one or twice. Add me if you like. I log everyday, have open logs, and I have learned a lot since I started this and want to help.