Do you set short or long-term goals?

Options
I have set mine at a short goal. My first step is to reach 230 then I will work on 200. I think this will keep me motivated more then having to see the big number.

Replies

• vazq4501
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan. Also, more realistic! You can do it!!
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I do both! I have a piece of paper with post-it's on it with my little goals...so when I reach 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, and then my goal I take off the post it, and there is a little treat under it, like a new dress, mani-pedi, etc...and I have a sheet where I cross off every lb I lose, so I can visually see where I started and how far I've come...it keeps me focused
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also do both. I have my long-term goal weight and then I have mini goals every 10 lbs. It helps keep me motivated and feel successful because this is going to be a long journey.
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've done both, the ultimate goal in my profile/ticker and I have listed short term goals on my profile page. I think short term goals do help staying motivated and will prevent you from getting overwhelmed by the long term ultimate goal.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i bought a sailor jupiter costume that doesn't zip up.

there's a short-term goal.
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do both. One thing I recommend is to write your goals down. A goal written is much more likely to be achieved. More important than your scale goals is to trust your program. If you are doing the right things you will feel good about your journey. the scale can be so frustrating. I have weeks where I think I have nailed but don't lose much and I have weeks where I am concerned and I lose more. I have lost 110 lbs with 140 to go so anyone can feel free to add me! Good Luck
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am in maitenance now, but it was the same when I was losing weight: My short term goal is to eat well and work out today. My long term goal is to have a healthy weight one year from now.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do both! I have them listed on my profile. Having the end goal in mind is important so you remember where you're head and why you're working hard IMO, and setting smaller goals along the way helps to keep you motivated. I just reached my 2nd goal this morning!

Height: 5'5''
    SW: 182.8lbs 11.22.14
    CW: 165.2lbs 02.08.15
    GW: 130lbs

My goals ♥
    [x] Lost 10lbs (172.8lbs) 01.02.15
    [x] Reached 165.2lbs (17.6lbs lost) 02.08.15
    [] Lose 20 lbs (162.8lbs)
    [] Half-way to my goal, 155lbs (26lbs lost)
    [] Reach 150lbs (32.8lbs lost)
    [] Reach 140lbs (42.8lbs lost)
    [] Lose 52.8lbs (130lbs)

I had suggested all my MFP friends to do the same thing on their profile, so that it is easy to see where somebody is at on their journey. You should too! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    both
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me personally I just have my long term goal. Helps keep pressure on me to do more. If I start setting myself short term goals I worry I might settle instead of pushing onwards. If I see I have a long way to do, it keeps me motivated to keep going.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think I have always done short term goals. My first goal was 150, and I honestly thought that was going to be it. Now I'm almost 135. But after the first 10 pounds or so, I only had goals of 5 lbs.

NOW I have long term goals as far as fitness goes, bulking/cutting, getting stronger, etc.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Both. This is what's in my profile, but I have other - non-weight goals going on in my brain, too.

Goals:
    Lose 25 pounds (6/16/2014)
    Get under 200 (7/17/2014)
    Hit 174 (11/12/2014)
    Get BMI under 30 (11/13/2014) (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Hit 160
    Lose 75 pounds

Goal weight: 147 (for now). That's a total loss of 85.3 pounds.

Then: WORLD DOMINATION!
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It will be different for everyone. For me, I try to keep it to "Do well today." In the beginning, I was caught up on a number, but I couldn't tell you what made me think I had any idea what a good "goal number" would be. My personal experience has been to think less about "weight" and more about "body composition." Assume I weigh 300, with 50% body fat. Were I to focus on weight, my goal would be to get down to 150. That's great, but what if I achieve 150, but I'm still 50% body fat?

Compare that to me starting at 300, and getting down to 250. However, at 250 I'm 25% body fat, as opposed to weighing 150 with 50% body fat. It's something that has worked for me: not worrying about the number on the scale (too much), but instead measuring myself (arms, legs, chest etc) to track how my body has been changing.

I plan for tomorrow before going to bed (meals, exercise routine etc). When I wake up the next day my mentality is "you know what you have to do today. Do it." Who you are a year from now is nothing more than what you each day, multiplied by 365 days.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I know what my ultimate goal range is, however, I work towards shorter goals. I plan rewards for each goal I achieve.
  • cs2ymc
    Options
    I like short term goals for my weight loss. I get less (if any) internal resistence when coming up with a plan & goal.
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like short term goals. I find them easier to manage and reach.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Short-term goal: Get skinny.
    Long-term goal: Stay skinny.

I find that there's no need to complicate things lol.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have long and short term goals. I don't really have a final goal weight in mind (it's all about how I look and feel). The majority of my goals are fitness based (running a 12 K in May), after this run I'll be focusing on improving my run times.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    BOTH!

Initially short term goals while losing.

Long term goals in maintaining.