What time to stop eating?

Options
My weight loss is slowing down as I've entered the dreaded last 14lbs that are very subborn. I often eat my last meal pretty late like 9-10pm and then go to bed between 11 and midnight. do I need to have my last meal/snack before 8 or 9?

Replies

• cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    My trainer actually told me to be sure to eat something before going to bed because you don't want you metabolism to slow down while you're sleeping. He did say not to have fruit before bed though because there is too much sugar.
  • crystaljewel87
    Options
    It helps to have your last meal early because you have time to burn more calories before you go to bed.
  • katmando62
    katmando62 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want my opinion ... yes eat earlier! It will be hard the first few days but your body will adjust. My Dad was in rehab and he eat the same time 3 times a day and he lost 74 lbs. He never ate after 6pm.
  • Annakersey7212
    Annakersey7212 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    whenever you eat does not matter, its just how much you eat, try having a heavier breakfast and a light dinner, you dont want to go to bed on a stuffed stomach.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    People have all sorts of conflicting opinions on this, but I know that for me I feel better and do better when I stop eating before 8 (maybe something light before 9), going to bed around 11. I'm not sure how much of that is that I'm eating earlier and how much is that when I eat late it tends to be junkier food, though :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not eating carbs or any form of sugar you're fine to eat before bed. Carbs and sugars make your body release insulin, which stops the body's fat burning processes. Stick to protein and non-starchy vegetables for your dinner.
  • in2nat
    in2nat Posts: 12
    Options
    I always find that no starchy carbs after 4pm is always good, so fish/chicken and salad or steamed veges is good. Can only do this if I have had carbs at lunch time otherwise im dead on my feet come 8pm.

good luck for the rest of your goal
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I've read a lot of research on this topic... and I truly believe a calorie is a calorie, no matter what time you eat it! From what I've read, most people who eat late at night are splurgers and OVEReat, so perhaps they are the ones that need to set a time to stop eating. But for most people, just as long as you're in your daily calorie allowance, it shouldn't matter what time you stop eating! For example, I work night shift so I eat all night long! :happy:
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    whenever you eat does not matter, its just how much you eat, try having a heavier breakfast and a light dinner, you dont want to go to bed on a stuffed stomach.

exactly!!!
  • 19Robin72
    19Robin72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been told to stop eating 3 hours before bed.
  • lovinmykiddos
    Options
    I try to stop eating by 8:00 and I go to bed around 11:00.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    and I truly believe a calorie is a calorie, no matter what time you eat it!

This is my opinion too.

Do what works for you. Try different things to see how you feel in the morning, how you lose weight, etc.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've eaten right before bed before, and never had any problems. I have read to eat according to what you are doing, so you may want to restrict carbs at night, but I have eaten them with no problems. Make sure you get some protein in before you go to bed.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My last meal is almost always within an hour of bedtime. Often within minutes of bedtime.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    At 5:38p.m. EST. anything past 5:39p.m. EST is immediately turned into fat.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    bahahaha @ Zachy. I just eat when I'm hungry.. if that happens to be right before I go to sleep so be it.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    At 5:38p.m. EST. anything past 5:39p.m. EST is immediately turned into fat.

Hahahaha
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want as long as you account for it in your daily calculations. It's not a rigid thing.