Any Pitbull owners? :) Rescued a 6 wk old deaf puppy <3 Advice?

Options
Happymom83
Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
Hello peeps,
So my family rescued a tiny 6 week old deaf pit puppy. I have no idea how to train a deaf puppy....I have had pitbulls when I was growing up..But this is the first pit for my hubby, and kiddos. Our kiddos are 12,11,9, and 7 yrs old. We also have a 2 yr old Boston Terrier/French Bulldog. Help me Find out how to make the transition easy for everyone ;)

Replies

• Happymom83
    Options
    xjgfs2itm7hf.jpg
    003.JPG 713.5K
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No idea, but my goodness he is cute!
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Thank you! Her name is Rogue :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be too helpful here, but my pup responds just as easily, if not better to visual cues. Perhaps there is a trainer in your area who can help. I had a trainer come in when mine was showing food aggression with the other animals. Basic obedience was the first step and much of that was hand signals. She is super sweet. I'm sure you will enjoy her a long time :-)
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You could call the local vets and see if they can refer you to a good trainer.. Best of luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I got nothong except: oh my gosh so frigging cute! XD
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    She's adorable.

I'd try to go with visual clues. I've never had pits but both my dogs respond well to hand gestures.

eta: OOPS! Make that "she" lol
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    Options
    Sorry I'm a crazy cat lady, so I can't offer any advice.... but awe she is absolutely adorable

xXx
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    No clue, but he is so gorgeous!! <3
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats! She's adorable. My dog is a quarter pit and I volunteer for Pitty Love Rescue. Your vet should be able to recommend trainers that are experienced with deaf dogs. You'll be using a lot of hand signals, obviously.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As others have said, it is all about hand signals. Dogs quite often respond better to hand signals anyway. The trouble is getting your dogs attention in the first place. If you let them off lead in the open fields that is difficult. What I do with my dogs, to make sure they come back to me at certain points is give them a small treat at the same place on every walk. It works without fail. They are at my side at that precise spot every time. To make sure they are not eating too many teats, I weigh out their food and take a few biscuits from their food so they are not eating too much. Other than this I have no more ideas. Boy she is soooo cute.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I work in animal rescue myself, and while I've not worked with any dogs with hearing impairments, I know another rescuer who has. It can be quite challenging, but you sound like you're up to the task. Like other's said, I would work on visual cues. Also, the training should happen with the people in the house as well, especially the kids. Make sure to teach your kids to approach your pup from the front so as not to startle her. She will likely sense the thump of the footsteps, but it's still a good rule to make sure she is aware of your presence. They can either approach her from the front or do a light thump on the floor when they enter a room. And tell your kids not to touch her when she's sleeping. My friend spent about as much time training her kids as she did her pup, lol...or so she says. :) At least your kids are older. Toddlers simply don't understand they need to be careful around an animal that can't hear. Anyway, here is a good link for some starter tips. It has a couple of things I mentioned on it. Good luck...she is absolutely adorable.

http://www.deafdogs.org/training/
  • kunoichi_candy
    kunoichi_candy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All of the above and congratulations on your beautiful new little soul ♡
  • zLeaDr
    zLeaDr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I trained a 190 pound deaf Great Dane solely with hand signals and methods that create a sense of vibration. And my current Rottie is signal trained. If you start now, using signal and reward training, the behavior will be second nature. You can create your own, but here's a few to get you started:
    SIT - Hold your hand with index finger pointed up, like you're counting number one. [To start, with the opposite hand, take a tiny treat and hold it just above the pup's nose and move it up and back toward the brow. Following the treat creates a natural sit. Then reward with treat and lots of pets]
    DOWN (drop from sit or stand to an attentive fully down position) - Rock your hand from "sit" (pointing up) to the point where the index finger now points to the floor. [To start, begin from a sit, hold the treat in the opposite hand before the nose, then slowly pull away and down so the pup can follow into the down. Wait till he's fully down to treat & pet!]
    STAY - Whole hand flat, palm facing dog, fingers pointed up (much like you think of a motion telling someone to stop moving towards you).
    COME - Arm extends down naturally and slightly in front of your leg, whole hand flat, palm facing dog, fingers point to floor. The first few times use your alternate hand to tap at the open palm. You want the pup to come and gently touch his nose to your open palm.

There are a lot of ways to create vibration to get a deaf dog or cat's attention. Test out a mix of ideas to see what works. Patting the ground (or a stomp or clap) sometimes works. Bouncing a tennis ball hard on the floor. Another idea is a foil pie tin that you lightly whack against your thigh. It's not the sound of the act, it's the vibration and air displacement. Sometimes the animal isn't totally deaf, but needs a cue at a different pitch or sound level/range.

Let me know how it's going. Your puppy is beautiful! (and Pitties are so sweet)!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/X-sd4qhRh7I

Learn sign language. A lot of people use it for training deaf dogs.
  • MsScorpio53
    MsScorpio53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely adorable. Thank you so much for rescuing. Please keep us posted! (((Hug)))
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words! And good advice :) I will start working with her.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't offer advice about training but OH MY GOD THAT FACE. SHE IS LITERALLY AN ANGEL. <3<3
  • Happymom83
    Options
    :D<3
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It's not as tricky as you'd think. My ex was deaf and she had what's known as a "hearing dog." They hear things for their owners. Anyway, she didn't speak, so the dog had been trained to respond completely to visual sign language commands. It worked just fine.

I gather they train them just like you would train any puppy. You give them the sign for sit, then put them in a sitting position. Oh, one thing though. Make the signs big. True ASL signs are to subtle to work well, and much to subtle to work well from a distance.

Hope that helps. I don't know how useful it will be, but you might want to do a few googles on "hearing dog," or "deaf helper dog," things along those lines to get ideas for potential signs and methods of training.