Rice Topping

Options
So I'm having rice for supper tonight as the hubby has flu and I have a craving for rice. I usually have soy sauce on my rice, but even the reduced soy sauce has so much salt in it. Can anyone recommend me something to put on top that is not too high in sodium?

Replies

• Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    i like this question. very interesting. I go threw the same thing. I like rice (especially japenese) but i find myself not eating it much anymore for the same reason.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    maybe a few squirts of spray butter (like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! spray) and some of your favorite spices? i would use things like garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flakes, cayenne pepper, etc.
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I have rice I like to make a mango, tomato, cilantro lime salsa and eat that on top. Well I mix it together
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I have rice I like to make a mango, tomato, cilantro lime salsa and eat that on top. Well I mix it together

OOOOHH!!! This sounds REALLY good!!!
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love Iron Chef brand general tso's sauce. I don't know about the sodium/salt in it, since that's what you're asking about, but 2 tablespoons is 60 calories. Now..that's a TON of calories for just 2 tablespoons of something, haha, so I usually just have 1 tablespoon. Yes, it's probably not worth it to some people (and I actually don't have it very often myself), but it's so darn delicious. I love it.
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options

OOOOHH!!! This sounds REALLY good!!!

It really is. Also good on fish and chicken
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bragg's Liquid Aminos - no added salt, tastes like soy salt but has way less sodium.

http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    Bragg's Liquid Aminos - no added salt, tastes like soy salt but has way less sodium.

http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html

^
    ^
    ^
    What she said. :)
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    natto!..... Though that may be super high in sodium also...
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I usually use salsa, or some spray butter and some kind of seasoning.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Broth. You can also cook your rice in chicken broth. Salsa is good. I just get creative with different veggies, herbs and spices, Top rice with things you might use on pasta or potatoes only you'd be eating rice instead of those.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Haha my mom used to put dashi (japanese mix of fish flakes, seaweed, and mystery powders LOL) to make the rice yummy for me nd my bro when we were little. It might not be to your taste, but give it a try :) It makes rice unctuous nd savory without tons of cals or salt. Well. in moderation.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mix together some shredded chicken, black beans, salsa and sour cream. Quick and easy!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Open a can of beans to top it off... YUM
  • JacindaChamps
    Options
    I dont know if they have it where you'll living but Im from a japanese family and when we want something to eat with our rice we use nori as well as a rice seasoning called "furikake." It's specifically for rice topping and really delicious. Also you can put rice in miso soup both low calorie although high sodium but taste great.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like to top my rice with anything. Plain steamed rice! YUM!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I use medium grain rice and I tell you what it is so darn yummy I never put anything on it. Much better than long grain. I had a roommate in college who used to put a few drops of hot sauce on her rice. Not sure fo the salt in hot sauce, but you could give that a whirl.
  • NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I second the furikake - you can get lots of flavors from a an asian food store and usually wegmans. The kind I use right now is basically black sesame seeds and a bit of rice. Or you could get little strips of dried seaweed (it tastes better than it sounds!) and eat it with that.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I do is I get powdered miso soup mix from my asian market (it's basically just dried miso and dehydrated tofu bits) I remove the tofu bits and put it in a salt shaker and sprinkle that on my rice. It's good for protein and it's super tasty. I also use strips of Nori (seaweed) to pinch little sections of the rice into balls and eat that.
    Furikake is tasty but be careful because a lot of times it will have a lot of salt in it because it will contain dried fish flakes.
    I used to get one that was seaweed, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds and it was delicious