Fiber! Show me your food diaries!

sparklyhippos
sparklyhippos Posts: 38 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi there, my name is Meg.

I have been casually using MFP for a while now, just to keep myself in check with calories for the most part.

I have chronic constipation.. It's gotten to be an obsession at this point since I used to be extremely regular, until it hit me after a 7-day alcoholic drinking binge, and now I am hardly ever able to use the washroom with success. 3 years later I am completely fed up. I'm nauseous over feeling full all the time while drinking 8-10 cups of water a day and eating fruits and vegetables galore, just to have it all sit there. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Anyway, the point of my post is because I want to see your food journals! If there is anyone out there who gets their 25-35g of fiber a day, and tracks it here? I would love to take a look to see what foods you're eating to get your fiber, as I'm not getting even 20g and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I need to start basing my diet off of fiber needs as opposed to caloric for a while, but I need some ideas!

Please let me know if your food journal is public, and if you track your fiber. I would love to take a look :) Also if you have any other words of advise, it would be much appreciated :) Thanks guys!

~ Meg.

Replies

• Hi Meg
    I empathize w your troubles. I would also guess that your food journal doesnt have any healthy fats in it and I have been hit w chronic issues since a kid - and now just fine! My diet doesnt have Any carbs (no bread, wheat or grain) and only goat cheese (as dairy) but mostly green veg and protein. Fibre is a supplement (i have different one evry 3 days) as well as chia, kale, flaxmeal, almonds etc. And you might want to check with your MD since it "suddenly" came on. Good luck.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    dried apricots and strong coffee, have a salad with a talblespoon of olive oil, get yourself some magnesium citrate.
  • sparklyhippos
    Sunto, you say you have a fibre supplement every 3 days.. What do you take?
    As well, what "healthy fats" are you referring to? I fry my fish and vegetables in coconut oil.
    I avoid dairy almost completely (other than coffee creamer and some goat cheese, the occasional cream in a coffee) and mostly avoid grains other than the occasional rice-based thing as well as some wild or brown rice.
    I have been thinking about trying flax seeds but not sure what to do with it.

Nickatine, do you recommend taking magnesium citrate each day? I did for about a month straight but didn't find it made a difference. And I do eat dried fruit.

I really appreciate the responses ^^ I would love to get to the bottom of this.
  • jadumz
    jadumz Posts: 80 Member
    A weird one, but, calcium tablets make me poop! And coffee, within seconds hahaha
  • keeponlaughing
    keeponlaughing Posts: 41 Member
    My diary is open, I eat vegetarian and my "movements" are very regular.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    U should look into a supplement called, Natural calm. U will sleep like a baby and poop like clockwork if taken nightly. It is powdered mag citrate supplement.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I do think it would make sense to talk to a doctor or even a dietician since this has been going on so long.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Feel free to check my diary out; it's public. My fiber is usually quite high. I would say that 25 grams is enough though. The only other advice I would offer is to drink water, as it binds with the fiber to help it do it's job, but you said you're already doing that.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Flax seed is a good alternative in conjunction with lots of water and leafy greens. It's super inexpensive to get a small scoop in the natural food aisle bins, then store it in an airtight container. Grind a little and sprinkle it on your salad, oatmeal, soup, stir it into sauce or what have you. If you don't have a grinder you can sprinkle it in whole as well but they say ground is more effective. It has no flavor so you don't really notice. My doctor had me start using it when I was pregnant, and now I always have some in the kitchen. Good luck ;)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member

wizzybeth wrote: »
    I do think it would make sense to talk to a doctor or even a dietician since this has been going on so long.

+1.
    i am prescribed both fybogel and moviecol to help with problem by doc.
    soup,wholemeal bread,veggies and fruit fill the rest of my 30+ g daily.

• janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    I'll open my diary, I almost always meet my fiber intake goal. :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I have about 70 grams of fiber a day because I mostly eat a plant based diet of beans and lentils.
    The doc told me to get some probiotics and some magnesium oxide. If you do not have a doctor you can easily see, check with a pharmacist.
  • sparklyhippos
    Thank you Nickatine, I will definitely be investing in some magnesium citrate.
    Thank you Sandcastle, I found some flax in my cupboard actually! I bought it last year, hopefully it's still good. I'm going to try some in my cereal right now!
    Janup, I appreciate you opening your diary :) Thank you!
    RodaRose I am shocked and awed by the fact that you get 70grams of fibre a day.. Do you mind if I friend request you so I can see your diary? :open_mouth:
    To everyone that is saying to see my doctor, I have and she says just lots of water and fibre. Roda, good idea to speak to a pharmacist.

I really appreciate everyone's responses, this was a very positive first post on MFP :D

I've actually been making a point to get at least my 25g and it's working :P For the first time in a longg time so I'm thrilled!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    My diary is public and I track fiber. I met or exceeded my fiber intake on 21 of the last 30 days. Feel free to look.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    I almost always go over my fiber recommendation, even on a day as today where I haven't eaten any carbs apart from the ones from fruit and veg and such (so by that I mean no bread/pasta/rice etc.). My diary is open, feel free to have a look :smile:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Psyllium husk. Looks and tastes like sawdust but it works.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    My diary is open and I track fiber. I average around 40 g daily. The biggest help for me going over the 25 g minimum (for women) is an afternoon snack of a Quest bar. Lots of fiber in those things!

If I do feel a bit backed up, my favorite "treatment" is a handful of nuts, almonds especially. Lots of fiber and healthy fat to move things along.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I get on average 15-18g of fiber and poop 2-3 times a day. If I get anymore than that I bind up and may poop once that day (if I'm lucky). So now I try to maintain my 15-18g/day
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Why aren't you tracking fat?

I would stop tracking sugar (sugar=carb) and track Fat.

Protein and Fat are the two major macronutrients you should track and should be treated as minimums.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    adowe wrote: »
    Why aren't you tracking fat?

I would stop tracking sugar (sugar=carb) and track Fat.

Protein and Fat are the two major macronutrients you should track and should be treated as minimums.

I agree. You need to track fat and get a minimum of 20% of your daily calories from fat (20-35% is the recommended range). The intestinal tract needs the 3 "F"'s in order to function properly: fluids, fiber, AND fat.