coffee and creamer vice

Options
2»

Replies

• sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Better quality coffee will require less creamer, tastier coffee, fewer calories. Huzzah!

PS. If a therapist told me I was addicted to coffee, I'd probably tell them "no *kitten*", and ask them what other blatantly obvious statements they'd like to drop on me. And then probably leave.

I was thinking the same thing about what I'd say to a therapist! lol
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the French Vanilla creamer, I hate drinking coffee without it now...so that's my new challenge is to get rid of that cause I know its not that good for me!

I agree with what a few others have said, start cutting it down or weaken the coffee a little so you can use less. Good luck!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and your losing I wouldn't worry about it. Don't get rid of something that you love, it will make it harder to stick to this long term!
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I would tell the therapist s/he could pry my coffee cup from my cold, dead hands. Until then - back off my coffee. I'm a black coffee drinker, so I'm with Lifting4Lis on reducing your cream until you get to black if it's really impacting your calorie count. Otherwise, I would look at your overall calorie goal and try to tweak making your creamer fit if you really love your creamer - i.e. are you shooting for too high of a deficit? Also, fat-free stuff often has more calories than full-fat versions because manufacturers replace the fat with sugar, so compare labels and find what will work best for you.
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Have you tried replacing your creamer with almond milk (only 30 calories per cup) you could start by Eason into it by doing half creamer half almond milk and if it's flavored creamer you like I use flavored stevia.
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wait, why does your therapist have a problem with your caffeine addiction???

I can understand why the therapist might find this a problem "IF" leahmarg has an anxiety disorder because caffeine can really influence the onset as well as the level of anxiety a person has if they have a disorder (just speaking from my personal experience). If they do not have an anxiety disorder, I don't see what the problem is.

I drink international delight sugar free, fat free french vanilla creamer. I measure out 1 tablespoon per cup of coffee, and could probably use less. I used to use way more plus a packet of splenda. Over the past couple of years I have weaned myself down to a tablespoon. I would second what everyone else has been saying about using skim milk in place of some of the creamer, and buy a higher end coffee, I think it makes a difference! Sugar free vanilla almond milk is also VERY good! Good luck!
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would worry more about all that caffeine than the creamer. Try starting with 1 less cup of coffee first and see how it goes.
    If you're adding creamer to cut the bitterness, higher quality coffee will be just as bitter, so that probably won't make a difference.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I used to drink multiple starbucks a day. Once i increased my water intake alot, i didnt drink as much. Then i also started making coffee at home w sugar free hazelnut coffeemate. I swearrr it tastes the exact same as regular hazelnut and has something like 15cal/tbsp and no sugar! I was using 6tbsp but am now down to 3. Not so bad. I sometimes allow myself one starbucks for every 3days. I split it in thirds so i get a little everyday if im working. I am trying to cut that out too. But down from 3-4 a day, im happy so far with myself.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Better quality coffee will require less creamer, tastier coffee, fewer calories. Huzzah!

PS. If a therapist told me I was addicted to coffee, I'd probably tell them "no *kitten*", and ask them what other blatantly obvious statements they'd like to drop on me. And then probably leave.

Lol truth- I feel like a coffee addiction and a nursing license go hand in hand

Yes. Yes they do. If someone suggested I cut back on coffee, I don't think I would talk to them for quite some time.
  • Jewels416
    Jewels416 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me to do something before I have my morning coffee. I love my coffee with flavored creamer. Since I track the calories I'm not drinking as many cups each day, which is a good thing...I don't need the caffeine either.
  • leahmarg
    leahmarg Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This is helpful. I like the every three days thing. I can probably manage that. I'm at about 1 per day now (of a coffee shop coffee).
    I used to drink multiple starbucks a day. Once i increased my water intake alot, i didnt drink as much. Then i also started making coffee at home w sugar free hazelnut coffeemate. I swearrr it tastes the exact same as regular hazelnut and has something like 15cal/tbsp and no sugar! I was using 6tbsp but am now down to 3. Not so bad. I sometimes allow myself one starbucks for every 3days. I split it in thirds so i get a little everyday if im working. I am trying to cut that out too. But down from 3-4 a day, im happy so far with myself.

• leahmarg
    Options
    I like the idea of almond milk. I will try.
    melly0405 wrote: »
    Have you tried replacing your creamer with almond milk (only 30 calories per cup) you could start by Eason into it by doing half creamer half almond milk and if it's flavored creamer you like I use flavored stevia.

• leahmarg
    Options
    To reply to all the suggestions for my therapist ~ I do have a pretty significant anxiety disorder. It makes sense to me.

11 I[/b]
    NurseCU wrote: »
    Wait, why does your therapist have a problem with your caffeine addiction???

I can understand why the therapist might find this a problem "IF" leahmarg has an anxiety disorder because caffeine can really influence the onset as well as the level of anxiety a person has if they have a disorder (just speaking from my personal experience). If they do not have an anxiety disorder, I don't see what the problem is.

I drink international delight sugar free, fat free french vanilla creamer. I measure out 1 tablespoon per cup of coffee, and could probably use less. I used to use way more plus a packet of splenda. Over the past couple of years I have weaned myself down to a tablespoon. I would second what everyone else has been saying about using skim milk in place of some of the creamer, and buy a higher end coffee, I think it makes a difference! Sugar free vanilla almond milk is also VERY good! Good luck!

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Ah, I get that Leah. Anxiety can disrupt sleep which leads to tired mornings which sometimes inspires caffeine consumption which makes anxiety and sleeplessness worse.

Cold turkey on caffeine will give you splitting headaches and sometimes a bit of mild depressive symptoms. When I need to cut down, I find switching to tea helps...not only do I drink tea black (so no calories), but I take in less caffeine, but enough to keep me from cold-turkey symptoms. Flavored Tea, like Bigelow's Constant Comment or Raspberry, may taste good to you without sweetener, so more calorie saving bonus!