weight lifting in calorie deficit

Options
2»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Poodles56 wrote: »
    Make sure your diet includes protein, that is really important in maintaining your muscle mass. I work with weights and do a lot of resistance exercise to tone muscles, dropped a couple of sizes but my weight is basically unchanged - although I am more energetic, and I feel "lighter". Muscles are more dense/heavier than body fat.
    I think it is really how you feel and how you want your body to look that at the end matters the most. Still a lot of fat to burn, but I am making darn sure not to lose the toned muscles (arms, legs) that I got by exercising!

Yep - gotta be honest. I *love* my muscles. I love the whole experience in the weight room, too. But the purpose behind (ironic ... wait for it) all this full-body lifting is to avoid injury while running longer distances. I have found that as I get older, my back is not interested in carrying me much further than about ten miles without complaining. So ... I am trying to change my routine, strengthen my glutes, yada yada yada. I'm excited about it. And ... really ... I appreciate your input. I'm not a newbie to exercise, but I am to lifting. I'm also much more responsible this time around about making sure I have the right balance of nutrients - enough protein, etc.
  • 4leighbee
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    So use about half the weight you've been using just to practice your form, then slowly work the weight up until you find a weight that allows you to maintain your form. ...

I love this! If you saw my silly, little bar with 15 pounds on each side among all those big guys' lifts today ... no one pointed and laughed, though. :) But absolutely - I hear you. You are right. I will be careful about my form and not get too excited to add weight. :)
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    But - and I'm just trying to understand - if I am truly in a deficit, I shouldn't be able to gain muscle. Right? So weird to me.

technically true, it is very very hard to gain muscle with a deficit from your maintenance, BUT it is possible, and that's a whole different story, genetics, etc.
  • 4leighbee
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana ... this is me.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just only want to say that this thread clarified more for me in one reading than soooo many other threads on similar subjects combined. Thank you thank you!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Just only want to say that this thread clarified more for me in one reading than soooo many other threads on similar subjects combined. Thank you thank you!

Great news! I agree - very helpful!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    So use about half the weight you've been using just to practice your form, then slowly work the weight up until you find a weight that allows you to maintain your form. ...

I love this! If you saw my silly, little bar with 15 pounds on each side among all those big guys' lifts today ... no one pointed and laughed, though. :) But absolutely - I hear you. You are right. I will be careful about my form and not get too excited to add weight. :)
    Well I mean, men and women are not the same haha. I will say that when I see a woman using a suuper light bar that she can clearly lift without any problem, I do get a "wtf" look on my face. Like what's the point of lifting so light?? I do feel a bit sad for myself though on upper body days since I don't have very heavy lifts (partly to do with developing tennis elbow, being a woman and naturally having less muscle mass up top, and not yet having lifted in a surplus to build proper muscle and better strength) but at the end of the day, I am not competing with anyone else but myself!

I will say that I sometimes practice form at home in the bathroom if I've been struggling a bit, just to make sure that my form is still fine. Usually I get off days due to how I've been sleeping, warming up, and eating before my workout.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana ... this is me.
    LOL aw, we all have to start somewhere! I remember before I got onto a proper program and before I joined MFP, I thought I was super cool deadlifting like 60lbs. Now I lift well over 3x that!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You lift while dieting to maintain as much muscle as possible while you lose weight.

This
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    ana ... this is me.
    LOL aw, we all have to start somewhere! I remember before I got onto a proper program and before I joined MFP, I thought I was super cool deadlifting like 60lbs. Now I lift well over 3x that!

I wish there was a "like" button on MFP.
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Well I mean, men and women are not the same haha. I will say that when I see a woman using a suuper light bar that she can clearly lift without any problem, I do get a "wtf" look on my face. Like what's the point of lifting so light?? I do feel a bit sad for myself though on upper body days since I don't have very heavy lifts (partly to do with developing tennis elbow, being a woman and naturally having less muscle mass up top, and not yet having lifted in a surplus to build proper muscle and better strength) but at the end of the day, I am not competing with anyone else but myself!

I will say that I sometimes practice form at home in the bathroom if I've been struggling a bit, just to make sure that my form is still fine. Usually I get off days due to how I've been sleeping, warming up, and eating before my workout.
    The fitness world definetely needs more women like you.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Holy Moses ... update. I overdid it. My low bad is a mess this morning. LOL ... at least it feels like sore muscles and not pulled muscles - but wow, that sneaks up on you! Wish me luck running today!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You guys have helped me to understand that I don't build muscle while in a calorie deficit. As I was doing my squats, deadlifts and bench presses (yes - I did them all today!!!), it occurred to me ... WHY am I doing this? LOL ... I know this sounds like a crazy question with an obvious answer, but I'm working really hard to build muscle (or tighten the ones I have or something) - but I'm trying to lose about ten pounds right now. I'm a runner (about 5x/week). So ... should I wait to do the full-body lifts until I am at my maintenance weight? TIA, MFP friends. I appreciate your insight.
    You're fixing the muscle loss the caloric deficit and running will cause.