What foods contain cholesterol?

Options
The only way for cholesterol reading to go up is to eat cholesterol containing foods and for your body to make it. Meat, dairy fish and eggs are the only foods that contain cholesterol. I cut all of that out of my diet and my total cholesterol is 105.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Is your cholesterol level due to genetics not diet? For a lot of people high cholesterol is not due to their diet but their body produces too much of its own cholesterol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Actually, dietary cholesterol plays very little roll in blood serum levels for the vast majority of people. I eat all of the things you mentioned and took my LDL levels from the 160s to 93. Hell, I eat eggs (plural) every single day pretty much.
  • mrjansanman
    mrjansanman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Michael Gregor and Dr. John McDougall all say that to have a 0 chance of having a heart problem your total cholesterol needs to be under 150. Heart disease is the number one killer here in the US and our "normal cholesterol" is way to high to prevent heart disease. Watch this you tube video http://youtu.be/SlIBGG8V8P4.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Actually, dietary cholesterol plays very little roll in blood serum levels for the vast majority of people. I eat all of the things you mentioned and took my LDL levels from the 160s to 93. Hell, I eat eggs (plural) every single day pretty much.
    ^^^This.
  • Natorade95
    Natorade95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

^^ Spot on. Also, exercising raises HDL (good cholesterol).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The only way for cholesterol reading to go up is to eat cholesterol containing foods and for your body to make it.

The second part of this makes the first part meaningless. For most people cholesterol is not affected by dietary cholesterol.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I see you're on a roll for misinformation today...
  • jcarland11
    jcarland11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol can only be found in animal products
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I see you're on a roll for misinformation today...
    ^^Heehee!

jcarland11 wrote: »
    Cholesterol can only be found in animal products
    ^^Yes. Your body, like all other animals, produces its own cholesterol. There's no need to add cholesterol to your diet.

My cholesterol at age 35 was 176. By age 40, after being vegan two years, it dropped to 112.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Shrimp has lots of cholesterol. Omg I want some shrimp.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    It's great your total cholesterol is 105. Congrats. In addition to total cholesterol, the ratio HDL:LDL is important, too. For women, a HDL>52 correlates to no heart disease risk whatsoever. I don't know if there is a HDL correlation for men, and if so, what the threshhold number is. As others have said, dietary cholesterol has little bearing on serum cholesterol, although saturated fats do seem to play a role. As a woman, my doctors are more focused on raising HDL through exercise and "good" fats. No one has ever said anything to me about lowering LDL, probably because mine is low, but raising HDL does seem to have protective effects. That said, I'm all in on shrimp.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol is not the only thing that causes heart disease. High blood pressure, being obese and smoking are all risk factors as well. Just because your cholesterol is within normal levels is no guarantee you will never suffer from heart disease.
  • kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options

:)))) yes