Back to the gym.....

Options
Hello all!

I'm about to start going back to the gym (eek!) for the first time in a looooong time :embarassed: .

I know nothing really about equipment and i'm pretty out of shape. I currently weigh 168 pds. and i'm 5'4.

Could anyone give me a general idea of what would be a good way to start working out? Good stuff to try, length of time to do it, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm about to start going back to the gym (eek!) for the first time in a looooong time :embarassed: .

I know nothing really about equipment and i'm pretty out of shape. I currently weigh 168 pds. and i'm 5'4.

Could anyone give me a general idea of what would be a good way to start working out? Good stuff to try, length of time to do it, etc?

Thanks!
  • booboogmb
    Options
    I have always liked the ellyptical. It is a great way to start out.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite piece of workout equipment is the elliptical trainer. Use one that has arm handles, so you get a total body workout. Start with 5 minutes or so, on the lowest resistance level or incline, and add more time/resistance as you feel comfortable doing so. And don't worry about looking out of place or out of shape, and don't be afraid to ask questions of the staff. That's what they are there for! If you can afford to do it, hire a personal trainer for a session or two, they can tell you what exercises are best for you, and maybe help with a meal plan as well.
  • ddennis
    ddennis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started back to the gym about a year ago. I learned that strength training is one of the best ways to burn calories. I take a womens weight training class twice a week, I met some new friends and that helps with motivation to keep showing up. In one hour my heart rate monitor says I burn between 800 and 1000 calories in that class!! Plus I am building great strength and shape and I am raising my metabolic rate. In my aerobics class my heart rate monitor says I burn between 600 and 700 calories and it is an hour and 20 minutes long! Just something to consider when choosing what you are going to do at the gym. Cardio is still important, but it seems the stregth training is really the most beneficial to weight loss. Good luck and have fun!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The rower is good too. Butt kicker, but good! :smokin:
  • noremac
    noremac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey awesome good news best to do cardio doesn’t mater what

Choice and order
    Aerobically the choice is what fits you best and what you would like.

Choice and order of exercises program should include at least one exercise for all the major muscle groups (Fleck, 2004). However whatever is used the program should address all the major muscle groups. You can incorporate both single joint and multi joint exercises In addition to making sure there is a muscle balance keeping equal attention to opposing muscles if you do not there is a chance of poor posture and increase to injury. Large muscles group exercise are typically placed in the beginning of the workout (Fleck, 2004) an example of this could be exercise leg muscles at the start followed by chest, back shoulders arms. Near the end lower back and abs.

Training Intensity
    the goal of the exercise program should be to challenge your muscles so they adapt to the training program and get stronger .you may have to start with 8 to 12 reps of 8 to 10 exercises of 1 set with progression with lighter resistance 60 to 75% of the 1 RM. (Fleck, 2004) .Training variety enhances strength development and reduces the risk of overtraining ; therefore the best approach may to periodically vary the training intensity by performing fewer reps with a relatively heavy weight and more reps with a relatively light weight .

Training sets and rest
    Rest between sets will determine the metabolic demands of the resistance training workout (Fleck, 2004). In addition the amount of rest may be dictated by a medical or physical condition of the individual (Fleck, 2004) .A good and efficient means is to have the individual train with single set for each exercise for at least the first six weeks to eight weeks of training once advancement is made additional set may be in order to keep the program effective. You should be aware to keep the program balances i.e. two chest exercise = two back exercise. 1 to 2 min should suffice.

Training Frequency
    Beginners should strength train a total body workout two to three alternating days per week (Fleck, 2004) this is should be benificial
    Using a full body workout, muscles will need about 48 to 72 hours to rebuild in order to get stronger. (NSCA, 2007)

Summary
    Use a 5 to 10 minute warm up period before each strength training work out
    Begin with one set of 8 -- 12 reps of 8 to 12 exercises
    Strength train two to three day a week alternating days, 1-2 days rest between workouts (Do not skip rest days)
    Perform each repetition through a pain –free range of motion
    Focus on breathing patterns

The people at the gym can give you ideas the best exercises are compound exercises I feel especially at first exercises like squats king or queen of leg exercises and lunges great for beautiful shapely legs, just use leg extensions as a nice warm up Lat pull downs for a nice back and bent over rows of course bench press for chest, standing biceps curls for nice front of arms and triceps extensions or I hate to call them skull crushers for shoulders seated front press

I think that is enough reading for now however if need some spefic exercise for a different body part give ne a shout

John
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody for the great suggestions! I think I'm going to try to incorporate a bunch of different stuff and take a few classes to figure out what works best for me :smile: