Combating Compulsive Eating

Options
I feel like my diet could be going better, but compulsive eating is getting in the way.

Some days I can control it. I've tried to eliminate as much of the possible snack items that I would normally eat and have been trying to replace them with healthier alternatives that I would like.

The issue is when I get the urge to snack (which is usually worse at night) I never want to eat the alternative snacks I've bought. Then I usually end up over eating whatever I do have for food. Usually it ends with me eating a second meal.

I really don't know what else I can do at this point. I know the obvious answer is "more willpower" but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your days and stick to it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I did it by NOT replacing foods. Replacing foods with something that I don't actually want just makes me want what I originally wanted even more. If I want a brownie I'm going to eat a damn brownie, not some lame chickpea concoction that doesn't contain any chocolate lol.

Weight loss is about CI<CO. So you can eat those things and still lose weight. Just log an amount of it that will keep you within your caloric goals (or at most keep you below your maintenance needs) and then eat it. If you KNOW that you tend to want to eat these things then pre-log as much of it as you think you'll want to eat so that you can eat around that throughout the day. If at the end of the day you don't eat the entire serving or you don't crave it at all, then eat something else.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I did it by NOT replacing foods. Replacing foods with something that I don't actually want just makes me want what I originally wanted even more. If I want a brownie I'm going to eat a damn brownie, not some lame chickpea concoction that doesn't contain any chocolate lol.

Weight loss is about CI<CO. So you can eat those things and still lose weight. Just log an amount of it that will keep you within your caloric goals (or at most keep you below your maintenance needs) and then eat it. If you KNOW that you tend to want to eat these things then pre-log as much of it as you think you'll want to eat so that you can eat around that throughout the day. If at the end of the day you don't eat the entire serving or you don't crave it at all, then eat something else.

I just had one and it was gooey!
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did it by NOT replacing foods. Replacing foods with something that I don't actually want just makes me want what I originally wanted even more. If I want a brownie I'm going to eat a damn brownie, not some lame chickpea concoction that doesn't contain any chocolate.

This....just have to learn to eat less than what you likely would have before. If I want a cookie after dinner, I have a couple as long as I have enough calories left. I just don't eat 10 like I really want ro.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I just had one and it was gooey!

I like fudgey chewy ones :D I've eaten like... 9 pieces though in 4 days and my stomach was getting a bit upset from all of that. I find it funny since in the past I'd have eaten that whole tray without stomach upset!
  • KaishaDarling
    KaishaDarling Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out sugar. Sugar is what makes you crave things. It may take a couple weeks, but after your body has adjusted I've found the cravings go away and you don't think about them nearly as much. Trust me, I'm a junkfood-aholic. Same goes for bread.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out sugar. Sugar is what makes you crave things. It may take a couple weeks, but after your body has adjusted I've found the cravings go away and you don't think about them nearly as much. Trust me, I'm a junkfood-aholic. Same goes for bread.

^^ That is pretty much how it works for me too.^^
    It took about two weeks.

• ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

What about when I'm craving vegetables or full-fat cheese? Or pizza? Or bacon? Or craving anything that has virtually no sugar in it?

Just because you crave something doesn't mean that what you crave is bad. I legitimately crave fruit many times. When pomegranate and cherry season roll around I crave those SO HARD. Same for mangoes. Does that mean I should stop eating them because their natural sugar content is clearly bad and my craving is clearly bad? What about all the people who say "you must cut out sugar to curb your cravings/overeating/binging!" but then say that fruit is totally fine? At the end of the day naturally-occurring sugar and added sugar are not going to affect your body differently. My diabetic grandmother has to significantly watch her sweets intake, and she also has to watch her fruit intake because... you know, sugar is in both. I'm not diabetic so I don't monitor either.

I did "clean eating" for 4 years, cutting out a whole lot of things that I eat now. My desire for those foods never went away, as evidenced by both my regular binges and my current consumption of these foods.
  • TheMainShane
    TheMainShane Posts: 23 Member
    Options

My issue is I'm not craving sweet things. In fat I don't normally eat sugar things. My biggest weakness is salty foods.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any books by Geneen Roth will help: Breaking Free from Emotional Eating or When Food Is Love.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What about when I'm craving vegetables or full-fat cheese? Or pizza? Or bacon? Or craving anything that has virtually no sugar in it?

Yes--I find it odd that people (not the OP, of course) assume that one can only crave sweet things. I am perfectly capable of craving some rack of lamb or any number of other foods that have no sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The issue is when I get the urge to snack (which is usually worse at night) I never want to eat the alternative snacks I've bought. Then I usually end up over eating whatever I do have for food. Usually it ends with me eating a second meal.

It can take a while, but I think becoming mindful of why you want to eat helps.

First, it's possible that you are eating too little, so if you are cutting calories a lot that's something to look at. Lots of people have a harder time controlling themselves if they cut calories too low.

Second, maybe keep a journal or notes on your day and when you feel hungry or like you need to eat note the time and what's going on. You can use that to figure out (a) are you really hungry or do you just want to eat for some other reason, and (b) if you think you are really hungry, can you change up your foods. From what you say above, it's probably not real hunger unless you chose alternative snacks you don't like. It sounds like a situation where you are in the habit of eating certain kinds of tasty treats and so you expect that and are missing it.

For me, what helped was to break these habits if I felt like they led to overeating. I tended to snack late afternoon/early evening at work, and I cut out snacks. It was hard for a few days, and I let myself eat raw veggies until I stopped feeling like I needed to eat at that time, but I told myself that I'd have dinner soon enough and didn't need anything else. Once the habit was broken it got lots easier.

Nighttime is perhaps tougher since there's no meal soon, so I might work in a nighttime snack that you will enjoy and just save the calories for it, but make sure it's available only in a portion size.

If you think it might be actual hunger or related to that, maybe try having dinner a bit later.

Also, a lot of time nighttime snacking is strongly habit-related or associated with a particular activity (like watching TV or surfing on the 'net) or boredom. Maybe try shaking up the routine--do something different or pick something to do if you start feeling the urge.
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should start logging your meals in your food diary.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I finally realized that the reason I get hungry at night is because I am bored. I am divorced, children are grown, and have an older dog that sleeps a lot. Of course, you can be bored late at night while your fourteen children, seventeen dogs, and husband are all asleep. But I notice that when I have things to do at night, like work or cleaning house or whatever I am inspired to do, I don't eat as much. Also, I used to go to the Y first thing in the morning, but now, I go in the early evening and don't feel like eating so much by the time I get home. Hope this helps someone.
  • ana3067
    Options

My issue is I'm not craving sweet things. In fat I don't normally eat sugar things. My biggest weakness is salty foods.

See? How would cutting out sugar make her not crave salty things?

Like lemur I also cut out snacking between meals. I just straight up eat meals, although they can be low in calorie. I only "snack" in the evening if I'm eating something to tide me over until my real meal is ready, not as something to tide me over for like 3 hours. Or if I do snack it's a huge snack, meaning a mini meal. I need my food to keep me sated for at least 3-4 hours, and snacking usually leads to mindless eating for me.
  • mommy2626
    mommy2626 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. It seems like when I start to eat, I just can't stop. I eat and eat and eat.. something for me to work on for sure!!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sounds like boredom eating, find something to do instead of eat, I find a nice workout is a great appetite suppressant for me

best wishes~