Eating Healthy While Traveling

Options
Hello all :)

I travel a lot - around 3 hrs/day on the metro, and often to visit extended family on the weekends. In addition, I often go on road trips with my family.

I never really get a say in where we stop to eat (outvoted every time!), and I have a hard time keeping on track when there are so many temptations in every direction.

Do any of you have advice/opinions on

1) What's best to eat at different fast food restaurants
2) Which fast food places are best for healthy eating, and
3) What are your go-to easily transportable travel snacks

Thanks!

Replies

• caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me Wendy's small chili is a good choice.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips for #1&2, but all (well, most) snacks are transportable. Especially if you have a good lunchbox with an ice pack. These are my main smacks:
    Edamame, cottage cheese, hummus w/ veggies or pita chips, beef jerky, boiled eggs, string cheese, bananas, apples, grapes, trail mix.

I weigh out my snacks for the week on Sundays and take a few to work each day.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My family and I travel a lot. When we travel I know we will always stop at Wendy's and so I plan it: half salads or chili. I also bring string cheese, water and grapes. Once I pull out the grapes the whole car is eating them. Once we are settled in a hotel/place I can do pretty good.
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    1) Fast food- chicken sandwich with no mayo OR small salad with a burger.
    2) They're honestly all bad. Just know what choices to make while you're there! Every place has good options. But obviously Subway, Flame Broiler, or something of that nature is best. (If you do get a bowl with teriyaki chicken get it with all veggies and no rice!)
    3) Orange, Apples, and pre-measured servings of nuts.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    pre-log and preplan.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you can, try stopping at truck stops like Love's, Pilots, Travel Centers and use their microwaves. I buy the little cartons of box milk to take, they are shelf stable. You can buy Horizon Organic 1% and I buy for me Silk. You can usually find them in the box alternative milk section. I will use those also for cereal. I will use the microwaves to nuke soups, and oatmeal. Go Raw makes excellent snacks but they are spendy. For fast food I like burger kings apple cranberry salad without blue cheese. Arby's has home style like sandwiches. I also pack my own bread or bagels. I like Daves killer bread thins and thomas mini bagels. A lot of burgers are bad because of huge buns, condiments and bacon n cheese. Order sandwiches and burgers dry and put them on your own buns or bagels. Some delis at stores have packets of kraft olive oil mayo, I always snag them for trips. Also ranch make light ranch cups to go. Denny's you can build your own breakfasts too.
  • lauraschulkind600
    lauraschulkind600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like Chick-Fil-A's market salad without the cheese.
  • t44florida
    Options
    1) If serious about weight loss... eat a salad w/grilled chicken.
    2) About all fast food chains are the same... bread, w/tiny slab of meat, or deep fried. Take off the bread and eat the meat or cut a burger/sandwich in half, stack the meat, half bread on bottom and top. Try kfc grilled chicken and say green beans. Either way, be strict regarding portions.
    3) Sorry.. I don't carry food along for the ride.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    McDonalds grilled chicken salad with balsamic dressing. Under 300 calories.
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    avocado, packet of salt, spoon. eat that *kitten* on the subway. don't mind the vaguely puzzled looks.

ps. are we not supposed to swear on here? I never really see swearing now that I think about it, maybe this is just an unusually refined bunch, or maybe not
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    oh...I see now!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    when i would get out-voted EVERY TIME i would have a firm ( still friendly) conversation also. Its not all about were they want to eat.

And no change i would have no problem to make myself some food and let them eat were they want... ( yeah i know i am a strange bird but i would love even the "me" time).
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    btw this is when you say every time and with a lot of traveling together of course.

In occasional cases i just would go for a salad and chicken or even eat what i want and fit it in my daily goal as much as possible
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Road trips are fairly simple because you can just pack your own food. Bring a cooler in the car and take whatever you like.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A lot of fast food restaurants have apps you can get on your phone and see the nutritional info. If you know ahead of time where you're going, you can look it up on the app or online to see what the best options are.