A little help deciding to detox?

Options
Hello! I've done a three day detox before to help kick start weight loss, and its helped me so much. I'm currently on a regular healthy diet of mostly fruits, veggies, and meats, along with plenty of exercise, and it's really helped me maintain the weight I'm currently at. I would like to take it further and do a 7 day detox to step it up. Now here's the real question: What do you suggest? I would prefer a detox that is easy to pack in a lunch and doesn't include any "uncommon" ingredients, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Your liver and kidneys already cleanse your body of toxins. Eating more fruits, veggies and lean protein is something you should do as part of your normal daily diet...always, not just to lose weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    None. Detoxes don't actually work, and your eating habits sound good. You don't need to "step it up a notch"; just have patience.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Besides water weight, the only way to lose is through a calorie deficit. If you want to be healthy, eat a well balanced diet.
  • Tygerlilee
    Options
    try the whole 30. i am doing it right now. it eliminates common allergens/inflammatory foods.
  • E_Goldfish
    E_Goldfish Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No such thing. "“Most people think that you should restrict or pay particular attention to certain food groups, but this is totally not the case,” she says. “The ultimate lifestyle ‘detox’ is not smoking, exercising and enjoying a healthy balanced diet like the Mediterranean diet.”"

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP do a search on detoxes here. Those threads generally do not go very well :disappointed:
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water to make sure you stay extra hydrated! Also go several days where you only consume vegetables and fruits.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Besides, "detox" is just another fancy word for "fasting" fasting is healthy and good for you not only physically or mentally but also spiritually. Fasting will not kill you!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water to make sure you stay extra hydrated! Also go several days where you only consume vegetables and fruits.

Almost agreed with you until the last sentence. While vegetable and fruits are healthy, a diet consisting with only those foods is unbalanced and an unbalanced diet is unhealthy. If you go several days eating nothing but vegetables and fruit, how are you going to get enough protein to retain lean body mass? How are you going to get enough fats help you absorbs your micronutrients and keep your hormonal production healthy?

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    j6o4 wrote: »

Almost agreed with you until the last sentence. While vegetable and fruits are healthy, a diet consisting with only those foods is unbalanced and an unbalanced diet is unhealthy. If you go several days eating nothing but vegetables and fruit, how are you going to get enough protein to retain lean body mass? How are you going to get enough fats help you absorbs your micronutrients and keep your hormonal production healthy?

After you do the vegetable cleanse, you do a sausage cleanse to restore the fat and protein. Drink lots of water.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Coffee cleans me out but YMMV ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Where do those ideas about detoxes and kickstarts come from?? And why do they stick?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Where do those ideas about detoxes and kickstarts come from?? And why do they stick?

Because it would be too easy to just eat less of what you like and still lose weight.
    There must be some form of 'sacrifice' to shock your body into doing its job. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Because it would be too easy to just eat less of what you like and still lose weight.
    There must be some form of 'sacrifice' to shock your body into doing its job. ;)

Oh, I see... I'm doing it wrong then :p
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

You're a genius. I pre-planned my day and I'm having a smoothie later. I think I'm going to do a ritual before I make it. Will that be sacrificial enough to make me lose weight faster?

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    After you do the vegetable cleanse, you do a sausage cleanse to restore the fat and protein. Drink lots of water.

I need a sausage right now. Mmmm.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat less heavily processed crap. Drink more water. DONE.

And keep eating those great vegetables and fruits!
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    "Detoxes" can have helpful psychological benefits, perhaps to provide a formalized "farewell" to old unhealthy eating habits. They are not useful for any other purpose, are not recommended for weight loss, and are not needed for your body's healthy function.

With love,
    Burt