Disappointed and disheartened!

Options
124»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    Well done on your amazing loss GiveMeCoffee, I guess we are all very different and I just can't imagine not feeling hunger between 3am and 1pm. You must have a completely different set of hunger drivers to me! But as it's worked for you, I must be wrong xx

if it's worked for someone else but not for you that doesn't make you wrong .. just different from that person
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    Well done on your amazing loss GiveMeCoffee, I guess we are all very different and I just can't imagine not feeling hunger between 3am and 1pm. You must have a completely different set of hunger drivers to me! But as it's worked for you, I must be wrong xx

Thanks, only thing wrong is it just goes to is that meal timing is about personal preference, and finding what works for us, to make this sustainable. I prefer larger meals and eating only 1-2 times a day, that doesn't mean it works for everyone.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I guess not. I'm a little bit sensitive to this issue right now as my husband has given himself an anal tear ( sorry, gross I know) through poor choices and lack of regular food and fibre. He fasts between 12 noon and 8pm, because of work and the long commute home. I'm trying to make him eat something fibre-based during those hours.
    Our bodies are all different finding what works for them is crucial to long term success and health. Hope the OP can have the success she wants.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Ok, I looked at your food diary and I see too many things like quavers, other crisps, bread, biscuits, sweets etc, and hardly any veg at all.

I know some people talk about if it fits your macros, you can eat what you like so long as you're within calories blah blah, but I believe what we eat does matter. I'm not perfect, but I like to get lots of fruit and veg in and I try not to have a treat every single day.

I appreciate that your job is busy (I've had 3 kids, I see how busy midwives are) but as a teacher I also have a busy day, on my feet a lot, and I make sure I always have a healthy lunch with me.

I reckon if you cut back a bit on the crisps and bread and added more fresh food you'd be fine.

For weight loss it's all about the calories. Just because she isn't eating how you choose to does not mean it's wrong, her eating crisps or bread are not what is stopping the weight loss, not being in a deficit is doing that.

Because yes if it fits within calories and you stay at a deficit you lose weight, even if you don't like it. I try to have a treat every day it works wonderful for mental health

She is in a deficit though?

No harm in trying something new. I personally don't lose if I eat too many carbs for example, even if I am within a deficit.

It's about health too.

We have no way to know whether she's in a deficit or not since she isn't logging accurately at the moment. It hasn't been long enough to determine-- if she loses weight then she is. If she continues to maintain then she isn't, by definition.

Carbs can cause a temporary increase in water weight. For people with hormonal issues (like PCOS) they might be problematic, although I have a few ladies on my friend list who have it, still eat carbs and do just fine. And cutting carbs can help some people eat less calories since carb-laden foods tend to be calorie dense.

There are plenty of people who are very successful while eating carbs. It's been 2 weeks for the OP-- I don't think there's any reason to assume she wouldn't be one of them.

All of this.

Plus @Dawnieb1977 - you were judging her diary because it didn't live up to your idea of enough veggies, or whole foods.

You can lose weight and get healthier while eating all of those.

She asked for help, I was trying to suggest changes. I'm sure if I started a thread asking for help people would look at my diary and suggest changes.

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Interesting read from everyone, I too am eating at a deficit, averaging 1700 a day when my goal is 1860, and I too am only seeing small losses, 2lb so far in 5 weeks, I should be 10+ down now according to MFP, but he ho you soldier on, what I am doing is slowly changing my eating habits, I too eat crap most of the time, but I do try to cook the crap rather than buy processed, so that is better, but I am now trying to cut out sugary drinks, adding more water, and adding fruit and veg and moderate exercise too, but still only 2lb so far.......As stated previously I can only think I am doing the right thing by eating better and eating less and hope that the weight fall comes soon.

With regards to eating breakfast etc, my eating pattern is all over the place, as I am a night shift worker, my week is typically, mon I eat breakfast, then a small meal / snack at 7pm, then a meal at work at 1am, I then sleep after work, eat when I get up at 7pm then a meal at work at 1am I repeat this till Fri, 2 meals a day no more, can eat 1200 a day during the week, then I turn myself into a normal person at weekends, and eat breakfast, dinner, tea and snack later at night....I am trying to eat less at weekends, as by Friday I do feel less bloated (but hungry), usually have my treat night Friday (trying to lessen this in time)....

So eat when you need to eat, if you don't need breakfast, fine, but don't make yourself ill with not eating with all this extra work / exercise and effort your putting in it can catch you off guard and make you weak so bear that in mind, a little extra boost in a morning can work wonders for your fatigue even if you don't think you need it.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Medical professionals and shift work often equate to not eating 'proper' meals. Stop talking about how the OP needs a 'proper breakfast' or to pack a 'healthy lunch'. Everyone else has already established the basic facts - calories in versus calories out, that's where the focus should lie.

Midwives on duty for births at my hospital typically work in 12 hour shifts, coming on at 8pm or at 8am. They alternate with clinic shifts where they do appointments during the day. They also have community work going out to visit new mothers. Often they have to stay long beyond their shift due to emergencies or being in a crucial stage of the birth - can't exactly hand over whilst the baby is crowning! Not to mention understaffing, crazy stress... OP looks like she's in the UK too and it was only a few months ago that we had the first ever midwife strike. Most MWs and hospital nurses don't stop for meals, because they can't, so they exist mainly on tea/coffee and grab-and-go food if they do manage to eat.

I'm not saying I support it, I think our medical professionals should have the opportunity to get a decent break during the working day (among other things), but that's not strictly how you put on weight.