Eating less than BMR?? HELPP

Options
Hi everyone,

According to MFP, my BMR is 1373 cal and according to the BMR formula and some other BMR calculators online, my BMR is 1440. Now currently, I'm eating 1200 calories a day, but now I'm thinking that that is too low, especially since I work out sometimes. I want to lose weight, so how many calories should I eat? I'm afraid that by increasing my calories, I'll gain weight or not lose. So how much do you guys recommend I eat so I still lose about 1 pound a week. Keep in mind, that I only want to lose another 13 pounds, so not much to lose.

Thanks

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    eating below BMR doesn't matter

you cut from TDEE

With 13 pounds to lose you should be set to 0.5lb a week and tighten up on logging because with a 250 calorie defecit it's easier to miss
  • dohayoussef123
    dohayoussef123 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What do you mean I'm cut form TDEE? Sorry, it's just that with the last few pounds, I feel like I need to educate myself more about losing weight
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    eating below BMR doesn't matter

you cut from TDEE

With 13 pounds to lose you should be set to 0.5lb a week and tighten up on logging because with a 250 calorie defecit it's easier to miss

• Sued0nim
    Options
    If you're following MFP method it is a NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - what you use up just by going about your daily business).. eg it gives you your calorie goal to hit without any purposeful exercise. That's why you set your activity level without counting purposeful exercise eg a desk job and you're sedentary whether you work out every day or not.

When you log exercise, you then get to eat back the calories you burnt as extra .. although advice is to only eat back 50% as MFP and machine estimates tend to be wrong.

TDEE is the Total Daily Energy Expenditure eg your NEAT plus your exercise ... when you cut calories from this you lose weight

you should be following MFP at 0.5lb a week goal (which is the same as TDEE - 250 calories)
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    If you're following MFP method it is a NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - what you use up just by going about your daily business).. eg it gives you your calorie goal to hit without any purposeful exercise. That's why you set your activity level without counting purposeful exercise eg a desk job and you're sedentary whether you work out every day or not.

When you log exercise, you then get to eat back the calories you burnt as extra .. although advice is to only eat back 50% as MFP and machine estimates tend to be wrong.

TDEE is the Total Daily Energy Expenditure eg your NEAT plus your exercise ... when you cut calories from this you lose weight

you should be following MFP at 0.5lb a week goal (which is the same as TDEE - 250 calories)

Okay awesome, so I used this TDEE calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and according to it, my BMR is 1373 cal and my TDEE is 1888 cal. So does that mean, I should eat between 1388 (500 calories less than TDEE) and 1638 (250 calories less)?
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Okay awesome, so I used this TDEE calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and according to it, my BMR is 1373 cal and my TDEE is 1888 cal. So does that mean, I should eat between 1388 (500 calories less than TDEE) and 1638 (250 calories less)?

Yes. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Yes if you want to be committed to the exercise / activity programme you have set on the calcultor.

If you aren't sure you'll stick to it follow the MFP method

It all works out the same

But you really should be aiming for the 1638 values (0.5lb per week goal) to preserve as much muscle as possible

you should also lift heavy things and put them down again :grinning:

good luck
  • dohayoussef123
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yes if you want to be committed to the exercise / activity programme you have set on the calcultor.

If you aren't sure you'll stick to it follow the MFP method

It all works out the same

But you really should be aiming for the 1638 values (0.5lb per week goal) to preserve as much muscle as possible

you should also lift heavy things and put them down again :grinning:

good luck

Okay awesome. Will do. Thanks so so so much. You've helped clarify a lot :smiley: