How do I calculate workout DVD calories

Options
ShanniceB
ShanniceB Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
hello there
I want to workout with a dance workout DVD ,but, how can I figure out how many calories I've burned to put into my excercises count

Please help me !!

Replies

• maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor, so I use that to get the calories burned during any dvd exercises. Though I know everyone doesn't have on. I have read people but it in the database under something similar, but always use a lower calorie burn. The database tends to over estimate. Definitely figured that out with my running - started wearing the hrm on the treadmill and the calorie burn in the database was way too high compared to what I was actually burning.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree with maxphia32, always go for the lowest burn. I put mine under aerobics for a cardio dvd, usually light aerobics for warm up session and moderate if it gets quite a bit more intense :) hope this helps!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Depending on the style of workout, I usually log as aerobics or circuit training
  • ShanniceB
    ShanniceB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I'll take these into consideration xoxo :)
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For most moderate based exercise, 8-9 calories per minute will do. Moderate rate can be determined by "can you carry on a conversation?" If you're breathing so hard you can't carry on said conversation (and you've not passed out), it's high intensity and you're burning about 10 - 12 calories per minute.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I've found that mine are roughly 40% of the MFP default numbers. I'm short and @30 lb overweight and I track at 5 cals/min for average effort up to a max of 10 cals/min for all out effort like running. It really will depend on your height and weight and level of fitness ie how hard you have to work.